Most overrated headphones?
Feb 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #691 of 1,490
I own a pair of M50s that I use every day, but when I look at the way they are described by some people I would consider them way overrated.
They sound very good if you ask me, but they're uncomfortable and don't outperform any headphones twice the price. It's absurd to suggest that.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #692 of 1,490
Quote:
Even though I'm enjoying them, I think the K501s are probably the most overrated headphone with a "legendary" type status (at least that I've had the chance to hear). They do a lot of things right, but the thing I most often see them praised for, the mids, are pretty underwhelming. I think both the K601 and K271 are superior in this regard.

I liked the K501 a lot, but when I got my Q701 I immediately sold them and kept the K601.
The K501 I had has one of the largest soundstages i've heard and that's one reason I got rid of it. Almost too big.

I actually think the Sextett is a tad overrated. Mine doesn't sound like anything special. I'll eat my words if I ever hear another sometime and it's better.
I even recabled it and changed out it's fish foam. It's usually in pieces.

I also prefer the K601 to the K501, but I'd gladly take the K501/K601 over the K701 or K702. Not the Q701.

You might like the k400 more than the K501. I think I do.

Have you tried the 598? I bet you would like it. With my HD-650 around, I no longer use it much, but the 598 has some addicting mids. At times I felt that I liked listening to the 598 more than the K601, despite the K601 being technically better. Im not a HUGE believer in cables but Mogami W2893 really improved the 598 and was CHEAP.

I've been wanting to try the DT-48E for about forever...

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #693 of 1,490
Quote:
I liked the K501 a lot, but when I got my Q701 I immediately sold them and kept the K601.

I also prefer the K601 to the K501, but I'd gladly take the K501/K601 over the K701 or K702. Not the Q701.

Hang on. So What's on second and Whose on third, or.....?

biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #694 of 1,490
B&W P5 would have to be the most overrated headphone for me. Could not wear them for a long time as the clamping force was too much. The leather ear pad got hot and sweaty after sometime increasing the discomfort. The sound quality is mediocre at best found them too warm. Soundstage is non-existent. Style over substance in my view. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #696 of 1,490
Quote:
Man, the K702 hate in this thread depresses me. They're my only set right now. Wishing maybe I had gotten SRH-940.

If it makes you feel better the K701/K702/Q701 are one of my favorite mid-fi cans. I'd easily pick them over the HD650, and they run half the price! I think they are one of the hardest cans to beat in terms of price/performance, with the caveat you need a good source and amplification. I was shocked how well they scale up. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #697 of 1,490
Quote:

If it makes you feel better the K701/K702/Q701 are one of my favorite mid-fi cans. I'd easily pick them over the HD650, and they run half the price! I think they are one of the hardest cans to beat in terms of price/performance, with the caveat you need a good source and amplification. I was shocked how well they scale up. 

I went through the K701, K702 (twice), then kept the Q701. Before getting the Q701 and my current amp, I would have quickly responded to this thread with the both the K701 and the K702.
However, time and sources have changed. 
I use to love the HD650, now I find them hard to listen to, the veil these headphones have, to my ears, is just to much.
However, I have no problems listening to the Q701 and the anniversary version of the K702.  The K702 65th Anniversary Edition, is really the best in the series, IMHO. Given the right source, both headphones sound excellent. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #698 of 1,490
Quote:

x2... The K701 will pretty much sound like what you amp and source it with.  They are finicky too, needing both voltage swing and current reserves to reach full dynamic potential.  Just about anything can drive them loud... but you need the right amp to unfold their dynamics, resolution and layer the soundstage.  Really enjoying mine with a darkvoice 337 and Tungsol tubes and OTs.  Without OTs its congested and lacks spatial separation.  The amp+tubes out-price the K701 by a factor of ~5... if you can find TS tubes.  Not sure what this amp actually does in terms of wattage, voltage and current... but its the most brute-force powerful amp I have, and no coincidence its the best sounding BY FAR.  Night and day difference dynamically from my mid-fi amps... Larocco PPA, Earmax, Mister-X Pimeta.

On the solid state side Justins GS-1 is the ticket.  But again its a situation where amp is out-pricing the cans by a factor of 4-5.

Lets not forget too that they need a source capable of revealing subtle nuances to the amp... in the first place.

Theres probably a K701/2 "budget" amp out there that can match the upper mid-fi... I just haven't found it yet.

No knock against the HD650... also a good sounding phone in its own right.  likewise if amp'd and sourced sufficiently.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #699 of 1,490
Quote:
I went through the K701, K702 (twice), then kept the Q701. Before getting the Q701 and my current amp, I would have quickly responded to this thread with the both the K701 and the K702.
However, time and sources have changed. 
I use to love the HD650, now I find them hard to listen to, the veil these headphones have, to my ears, is just to much.
However, I have no problems listening to the Q701 and the anniversary version of the K702.  The K702 65th Anniversary Edition, is really the best in the series, IMHO. Given the right source, both headphones sound excellent. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Quote:
x2... The K701 will pretty much sound like what you amp and source it with.  They are finicky too, needing both voltage swing and current reserves to reach full dynamic potential.  Just about anything can drive them loud... but you need the right amp to unfold their dynamics, resolution and layer the soundstage.  Really enjoying mine with a darkvoice 337 and Tungsol tubes and OTs.  Without OTs its congested and lacks spatial separation.  The amp+tubes out-price the K701 by a factor of ~5... if you can find TS tubes.  Not sure what this amp actually does in terms of wattage, voltage and current... but its the most brute-force powerful amp I have, and no coincidence its the best sounding BY FAR.  Night and day difference dynamically from my mid-fi amps... Larocco PPA, Earmax, Mister-X Pimeta.

On the solid state side Justins GS-1 is the ticket.  But again its a situation where amp is out-pricing the cans by a factor of 4-5.

Lets not forget too that they need a source capable of revealing subtle nuances to the amp... in the first place.

Theres probably a K701/2 "budget" amp out there that can match the upper mid-fi... I just haven't found it yet.

No knock against the HD650... also a good sounding phone in its own right.  likewise if amp'd and sourced sufficiently.

Maybe we should start a K70X selling and rebuying club. I've done it so many times. I'm amazed each time I buy it, how well it seems to scale with my upgraded amplifier. I think it's a real winner in terms of scalability and the people that often don't like it hooked it up to some lower end fiio type amp. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #700 of 1,490
Quote:

This.

Interestingly I was with my parents at Easter.  Mums in her 70s now - but still loves classical - and so I took some gear through to her so I could see what sort of set-up I should get her.  She tried the DT880s, the HD600s and the K701s.  For her the choice was immediate - K701 by a landslide.  Nothing fancy in source/amp either - laptop via USB to an Audio-gd NFB-12.  More than enough to power them well - although they do scale far better with the Little Dot Mk IV in the chain (didn't want to travel with it).

I'm the same - I use the K701 far more than either the DT880 or HD600 now.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #701 of 1,490
The obvious needs to be said....
ANY headphone will be over-rated if all one does is focus on its strengths while ignoring its weaknesses.  No headphone is perfect.  No headphones does everything well all the time.  Every headphone has its weak-points.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #702 of 1,490
Quote:
The obvious needs to be said....
ANY headphone will be over-rated if all one does is focus on its strengths while ignoring its weaknesses.  No headphone is perfect.  No headphones does everything well all the time.  Every headphone has its weak-points.

I used to think this but no longer think it's true. After about a dozen to 100 headphones you can find your perfect headphone
biggrin.gif
. Nope definitely not one that's good for everyone. Sometimes I felt like my favorite headphone someone had tuned specifically for me. You know how rare that is?! I bet you could go through up to 200 headphones and not get that.

I know it's hard to believe, but my favorite headphone still "Wows" me even after 3 years of use.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #703 of 1,490
Don't hurt me... HD800. 

I put them on at a store, and they sounded really bad for the price. I'm not really experienced and I didn't listen for long, but there's no way I'm buying that. 

I second this, the HD800s don't make music. They just hurt my ears with brightness and higher than average bass distortion.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #704 of 1,490
Quote:
I second this, the HD800s don't make music. They just hurt my ears with brightness and higher than average bass distortion.

The Sennheiser HD800 is a neutral headphone. If your source is bright then that is what you are going to get. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back