Most overrated headphones?
Sep 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #620 of 1,490
Quote:
TMA-1's for me, I really, really wanted to like them but it just felt wrong having to EQ for nearly everything

Over on another forum I post on these are like the most recommended headphone. To me, they don't sound any different from the cheapo headphones that are labeled with "extra bass", but only have the illusion of more bass because of their highly recessed mids and highs.

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #621 of 1,490
I feel like if anything most Shures are underrated. Their style factor hovers around zero, so they never get quite as much attention as the headphones that have both style and sound (Beyer, AKG, boutique wood stuff, etc.). This tends to be Shure's trademark across all of its product lines though. IMO they have the best price/quality ratio in both headphones and microphones but man is their marketing/style approach dry....

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #622 of 1,490
Sorry to say it since they're something of a Head-Fi success story, but I find the FA-003/HM5/XPT100/etc. to be pretty overrated.

Yes, they're flat, but ultimately why is flat generally considered good? Because theoretically, without one frequency dominating the others, you can hear more detail. The "studio" sound.

The problem is that the HM5s/clones are pretty much devoid of detail and seem to achieve their flat-ness by throwing a lead blanket over the entire frequency range so that no stray/rogue responses might rise too high. "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak.The result is a headphone that sounds groggy and congested, like it just got out of bed with allergies.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #623 of 1,490
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #624 of 1,490
Quote:
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.

It is a great budget headphone. I think the problem with it though is that it's become sort of an automatic response for anyone looking for a budget headphone. It's definitely not the only one out there, and doesn't suit everyone's needs and wants. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #625 of 1,490
Quote:
Then it would be interesting to know which headphone you like.
The shure  srh1840 & 535 are quite praised here.

Phonak PFE232, PFE112 (which I own)
Westone 4, UM3X (also heard the W2, nice mids, highs not my cup of tea)
TF10, SM3 (TF10, good fun, SM3 ultra fun!)
HD800, HE400, DT990 (HD800 sensational resolution, mids and soundstage, brutal honest - HE400 great bass and dynamics but poor balancing - DT990 very good for the money, fun sounding)

The resolution of all Shure headphones I heard is nothing special. They sound harsh and unpleasant to me. The comfort is also not that great. Shure and I are incompatible.

Also heard the T1, they need an 100ohm output to sound "right". Soundstage smaller than HD800. A head-fi member said "sound uninvolving", he is right.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #626 of 1,490
please please please. don't search in sound  quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #627 of 1,490
Quote:
please please please. don't search in sound  quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.

the HD 800 aren't exactly neutral. they're on the bright side. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #628 of 1,490
Definitely the ath m-50 for me. It has great bass no doubt, but the rest is just... out right bad. No sound stage, harsh and thin highs, worst vocal ever, even worse than the beats studio in this department. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #629 of 1,490
Quote:

Over on another forum I post on these are like the most recommended headphone. To me, they don't sound any different from the cheapo headphones that are labeled with "extra bass", but only have the illusion of more bass because of their highly recessed mids and highs.

Yeah, I thought I had some insane EQ on my MP3 player turn on when I first heard them...I kind of laughed and put them back after I noticed I didn't.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #630 of 1,490
Quote:

What other forum do you post on? I'd like to visit myself if you wouldn't mind.

On topic, I don't find the M50 or the TMA-1 overrated, they're quite good for what they're intended for - Studio and DJ use respectably  Although, I will say the TMA lineup is overpriced by about $100.

What I did find overrated was the Audeze LCD-3 when a dealer had one in stock and I demoed it with a high-end Woo amp. Small soundstage and it leaks insanely. It also seemed to have a channel imbalance. The build and sound quality sure doesn't look like $2000. Chipping was also readily apparent from use on the wood cups and the clamping and weight distribution was uneven.

I gotta say that Steve Guttenburg must be insane recommending these for studio use. At the price and leakage one might as well buy some high-end speakers and save some money at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back