Most overrated headphones?
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #601 of 1,490
Quote:
pcf - I know this is getting off-topic, but I'm intrigued by your last post.

I started out with MS1is, heavily modded them - and have actually ended up with a FWJ 325i (transplanted drivers, iroko full jacket).  Anyway - I love the sound - but have often wondered if it is actually worth while going further up the ladder (RS1i).  With your own cans - did you ever try the 325's in a wood jacket, and did it come close to a RS1i?  

Don't take me seriously, especially the last post.
wink.gif
 I just collect headphones, I know nothing about them.
To answer your question- I have never heard any modded Grado with wood cups that sounded like RS1i. If you want RS1i you might need to just buy them. But then again you really need to hear them first to decide if you want the sound. Personally I am not a big fan. If you are happy with your wooden 325i, why not just enjoy your music with them?

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #602 of 1,490
Quote:
pcf - I know this is getting off-topic, but I'm intrigued by your last post.

I started out with MS1is, heavily modded them - and have actually ended up with a FWJ 325i (transplanted drivers, iroko full jacket).  Anyway - I love the sound - but have often wondered if it is actually worth while going further up the ladder (RS1i).  With your own cans - did you ever try the 325's in a wood jacket, and did it come close to a RS1i?  

Didya happen to take a look at his sig before asking that question ?   
eek.gif

Grado HP1i; HP2ix3;HF1;HF2;RS1i;RS1(vintage)x7; RS1with MagnumV4; PS1;PS1000;GS1000;SR100;SR200;SR325(black); SR325is;SR225; SR80;Magnum325 V3;Magnum325V4

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #605 of 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Didya happen to take a look at his sig before asking that question ?   
eek.gif

Grado HP1i; HP2ix3;HF1;HF2;RS1i;RS1(vintage)x7; RS1with MagnumV4; PS1;PS1000;GS1000;SR100;SR200;SR325(black); SR325is;SR225; SR80;Magnum325 V3;Magnum325V4

Yep I did - and I DO realise he was joking WRT all Grado drivers being the same
wink.gif
 - I know through experience that the SR range - while being a family - have differences (some subtle, some definitely not).

My question was a serious one though - and more related to his talk of modding.  With the amound of Grados pcf has - I wasn't sure if he had tried modding any - and I was genuinely curious regarding a woodied 325i and an RS1i.

At least you guys have places you can go audition models - unfortunately in the deep south I'm unlikely to be able to do that - at least until I'm next in the States.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #606 of 1,490
Audition ? Not likely - both the Grado distributorships that I know of are in Melbourne - as the crow flies, closer to you than me and a plane trip either way. I don't think Audiophile sells the phones any more, so that leaves Addicted to Audio and I'm not even sure if they have a showroom, although they do give their address on their website. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #607 of 1,490
Quote:
Gotta love the way virtually any thread that strays into 'likes and dislikes' rapidly turns into a Grado-bashing epic. Some here really need to get a new act - the old one is looking awfully tired. If you dont like Grado, dont buy them - problem solved. 

It was more about whether certain headphones are overrated or not, than people's likes and dislikes of certain headphones.
I didn't post about Grado to start a 'Grado-bashing epic' at all, I just wasn't fond of how legendary they apparently are.

I've never said I didn't like Grados... I've never listened to any! There was no problem to begin with, just a plain discussion that need not be solved.
Good grief, I should never mention Grados anywhere-- so many opinions on them!

+ Also, I might buy Grados in the future. Just for curiosity, and trusting the community is right in recommending them so much. Let's not try to simplify things here.

edit = Again, I don't mean to say that Grados are overrated... who am I to judge headphones I have never listened to? I'm just commenting on the (somewhat) needless hype surrounding the headphones. I really don't mind if they are loved, I'm happy for the satisfied listeners. But sometimes, other headphones are bashed in Grado's favour... because "the amount of detail just don't compare". This is the part I'm not a fan of.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #608 of 1,490
Quote:
It was more about whether certain headphones are overrated or not, than people's likes and dislikes of certain headphones.
I didn't post about Grado to start a 'Grado-bashing epic' at all, I just wasn't fond of how legendary they apparently are.

I've never said I didn't like Grados... I've never listened to any! There was no problem to begin with, just a plain discussion that need not be solved.
Good grief, I should never mention Grados anywhere-- so many opinions on them!

+ Also, I might buy Grados in the future. Just for curiosity, and trusting the community is right in recommending them so much. Let's not try to simplify things here.

edit = Again, I don't mean to say that Grados are overrated... who am I to judge headphones I have never listened to? I'm just commenting on the (somewhat) needless hype surrounding the headphones. I really don't mind if they are loved, I'm happy for the satisfied listeners. But sometimes, other headphones are bashed in Grado's favour... because "the amount of detail just don't compare". This is the part I'm not a fan of.

Quote:
Speaking of Grados, aren't they a bit overrated as well? During my short membership at head-fi, I've seen more rave about the Grados than I would have liked to see.

Call me ignorant, but I really think all of Grado's products in the Prestige Series line use the same driver design with just different cabling, voice coil material, and construction material and aesthetics. Not that I've heard any of them.

Yes, Sennheiser does their marketing well. Nonetheless, I'd rather see a Sennheiser booth in local Future Shops, instead of a Monster Beats by Dr.Dre booth. Sennheisers generally offer better price to performance and Beats.

You did say that Grados were overrated. A lot of people did also, some for very good reasons. The difference is that many of them have listened to them and you have never gone anywhere near one.
Some of the members here I respect a lot can't stand Grados. I have said many unkind things about certain models also. It is all fair game if the comments are based on experience and knowledge.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #611 of 1,490
Quote:
Nice to see you pcf :)

Nice to see you too sir ! :)
We must meet up when I visit the bay area next time. My daughter was born in Palo Alto and we still have a lot of friends and relatives there. 
Miss those head fi meets a lot. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #612 of 1,490
Quote:

You did say that Grados were overrated. A lot of people did also, some for very good reasons. The difference is that many of them have listened to them and you have never gone anywhere near one.
Some of the members here I respect a lot can't stand Grados. I have said many unkind things about certain models also. It is all fair game if the comments are based on experience and knowledge.

In my first post, I wasn't commenting about the sound of Grados, really. Although I've used the word 'overrated', I was still commenting about the Grado hype than Grado quality. My second sentence was "During my short membership at head-fi, I've seen more rave about the Grados than I would have liked to see.".

The reason why I didn't shy away from talking about Grados although I've never heard the Grado sound is because... I won't be talking about the sound anyway. I just wanted to have my say about the Grado hype.. and  'Grado upgrade-itus' hype. That really is all.

You see? Grado's a big name.

edit = I wrote a reply but... Meh, hate to ruin a good mood. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #613 of 1,490
Quote:
Speaking of Grados, aren't they a bit overrated as well? During my short membership at head-fi, I've seen more rave about the Grados than I would have liked to see.

Call me ignorant, but I really think all of Grado's products in the Prestige Series line use the same driver design with just different cabling, voice coil material, and construction material and aesthetics. Not that I've heard any of them.

Yes, Sennheiser does their marketing well. Nonetheless, I'd rather see a Sennheiser booth in local Future Shops, instead of a Monster Beats by Dr.Dre booth. Sennheisers generally offer better price to performance and Beats.

About the grado's being overrated. IMO Yes and no. There's the Grado Zealots on here that will fight tooth and nail that they are the best. I'm not saying they are bad I mean my RS-2 are still one of my favorite headphones of all time but they are not THE BEST as some would have you believe. IMO the SR60-225i were just awful.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #615 of 1,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back