Most overrated headphones?
Jun 7, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #406 of 1,490

Quote:
I've heard them only briefly but they didn't offend me in any way. I prefer my mids a little more forward, but that's just that - preference. I think they're fairly capable at the price point, and I've yet to see them recommended anywhere.

They are recommended ALOT in basshead threads from what I've seen.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #407 of 1,490
I've never read a basshead thread, that's true. They seem to fill that role pretty well, so I still don't agree that they're overrated.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #408 of 1,490
Beyer recommends the 250ohm pro's for studios as these 80ohm's for only monitoring bass.

It costs £140.

It's been recommended many times, perhaps less on current threads compared to older threads. Trust me, type it in the search bar and you'll see what I mean.

The mids are so frighteningly recessed, it's remarkable. So tinny mids, low resolution not that large or a soundstage. Highs with large sparkle/sibilance. When you listen to these it feels like you are only listening to the bass. 100% mission accomplished- as this is what they are for. I doubt that any one really wants a £150 headphone to only listen to bass.
beyers own £35 dt 235 competes well. The denon d1001 beats this headphone easily. Denon d2k smacks it, as does the a900, in every department. Including bass.

If you haven't heard them you won't know what I mean- simple.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #410 of 1,490
Definitely the M50's, followed closely by the HD25's.

Not that either are bad, they just aren't particularly special. I preferred the far cheaper V6's to both.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #411 of 1,490

Quote:
The beyers are often recommended for audiophile listening.

And that, right there, is why I will never be an audiophile.

You simply shouldnt have to suffer for the sake of the 'art' of enjoying music. It conjurs the image of John Atkinson sitting in a basement in New Jersey with 350K of gear, listening intently to a rare vinyl pressing for some obscure artefact that 99.9999% of us could care less about. Sad. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #412 of 1,490

Quote:

You simply shouldnt have to suffer for the sake of the 'art' of enjoying music. It conjurs the image of John Atkinson sitting in a basement in New Jersey with 350K of gear, listening intently to a rare vinyl pressing for some obscure artefact that 99.9999% of us could care less about. Sad. 

But Beyers can be very enjoyable to listen to!!!  Maybe if you tried the T1, you might like beyers.  Still my second favorite headphone up to date.  If it weren't so similar to the HE-6, I would have owned one...

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #413 of 1,490
Quote:
But Beyers can be very enjoyable to listen to!!!  Maybe if you tried the T1, you might like beyers.  Still my second favorite headphone up to date.  If it weren't so similar to the HE-6, I would have owned one...

Only one so far.  For me anyway...

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #415 of 1,490
Quote:
and they're out of stock..everywhere @___@

Beyer needs to ramp up production.  They appear to be far more popular than they expected.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #416 of 1,490

They recently did ramp up production and still do. Just these older models still get a lot of love. The T1 and T50P are certainly gaining more attention, however it seems like at that price point they are facing a lot more competition for a smaller market. 
Quote:
Beyer needs to ramp up production.  They appear to be far more popular than they expected.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #417 of 1,490

Quote:

You misread the earlier post and my response. I rate the DT440 above almost every other pair of cans I've ever owned - I'm hardly a 'Beyerdynamic hater'.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #418 of 1,490

Quote:

This.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #419 of 1,490
I agree aswell, however I feel that balanced frequency response in a headphone allows for different recordings to sound as they were meant to. A capable headphone should be a jack of all trades.

And good recordings should get the credit they deserve instead of a pair of headphones or worse, an amp, hogging all the praise.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #420 of 1,490

Quote:
Definitely the M50's, followed closely by the HD25's.

Not that either are bad, they just aren't particularly special. I preferred the far cheaper V6's to both.

I liked my V6 more than the M50 too, but HD25? 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back