Most overrated headphones?
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #106 of 1,490
all grado/ssandro are overrated,, ATH comes second..

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #107 of 1,490

Quote:
"do you enjoy a small sound stage with no immersion at all?  How about supbar audio quality only good for rock and rollin' tunes and just terrible for everything else? Quick look over here, im on a horse.  Or is it?  *folds out to a motorcycle.   No, its really a ninja bike, Do you like having soar ears and being forced to pay an extra $10+shipping just to buy ANOTHER BRANDS earpads to use on our headphones?  Does your lady like a mustache?  Because I have one, or do i *takes fake mustache off DO YOU LIKE HAVING A GIANT CORD that is only there for nostalgics sake, they aren't monitors but we are going to give you the biggest, longest, fattest cord imaginable!!! IF all this is what you are seeking, buy a grado SR series and ENJOY!!! *water rushes in and floods the area
 now, im on a boat and sailing away on my ninja boat bike
 Dah Dah Dahhhh, Dat Dat, Daa Daa DAHHHH

I was think of getting a pair..damn you for making me change my mind..damn you :)

Quote:
M50 are more comfortable than 840? Wow, I feel completely the opposite. Cups of M50 are a bit small form my ears and the headband is a bit tight too. They make my ears sweat. Neither are as comfortable as my DT990pro though.

Thats why I sold my M50...they didnt do it for me comfort wise..bit too sweaty. But its important to note that not liking something is not the same as saying its overrated..something can still be good and overrated I think...like shouty man Al Pacino..he's good but way overrated.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #108 of 1,490

Quote:
all grado/ssandro are overrated,, ATH comes second..

You have owned and extensively listened to the entire Grado, Alessandro and Audio-Technica line ups, hmmm?

In a general way, not so much Head-Fi way, the Monster Beats Studio take the cake. As a sales person in an electronics store, the second I mention anything about how I'm thinking about buying a new pair of headphones I get the "you should try the Beats Studio, they're a totally different level" and I strangle them with a Monster cable.

In a Head-Fi way, the DT770s were rather overrated as they were in FOTM mode when I bought them and the W10vtg wasn't quite what I was expecting after reading the old hype posts, but although being different, still won my heart.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #110 of 1,490
Go figure, my first and only cans (so far) 701's  and they seem to be the anti-christ of the headphone world.

Of course of I've learned one thing from my previous obsession (speakers), listen and decide for yourself.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #111 of 1,490
Quote:
PX100 are muddy and I prefer KSC75. I have a friend with PX100 and PortaPro and he likes the PortaPro but not sure which he likes better. These style of headphones are never going to sound really good due to law of physics so I never expect them to blow me away. I only use these types of headphones for gaming with or with a portable MP3 player.

It's bout taste... I in contra don't like KSC75, but I'm not saying they are bad... of course these types of headphones are good just for fun with portable players & similar :wink:

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #112 of 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by debassige  
" Go figure, my first and only cans (so far) 701's  and they seem to be the anti-christ of the headphone world.

Of course of I've learned one thing from my previous obsession (speakers), listen and decide for yourself."

I have learned to take every single person's word on Head-Fi with an EQUAL grain of salt. So I agree, listen and decide for yourself.

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #113 of 1,490
Overrated? When it comes to price the Beats-series, Skullcandy and Grado somehow stand out.

For 50 to 60 euros I can buy a decent Sennheiser while the brands I mentioned in the first line start higher up in the price department for 'decent headphones'. Even WESC offers better deals. Even worse, find a good studio/monitor headphone with a decent source and you can still be out cheaper then when you are buying a decent Grado headphone. My AKG K240 DF and CD-player cost me less than a new Grado.

Most overrated in my experience was the Panasonic RP-HTX7 which really sold on looks. In the Netherlands it still retails for about 60 euros in the stores. It sounds nice but I would not pay more than about 30 euros for that thing. It needed an amplifier to really shine and for those 60 euros you could buy yourself - in my opinion - the rather impressive HD428. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #114 of 1,490
To all the M50 fanboys who are offended by me calling them overrated: I wasn't calling them overrated because I simply don't like them, that would be both unfair and ridiculous. I'm calling them overrated because they are seriously rated above a cure for cancer by the growing M50 fanboy-base. They're seriously making the Grado fanboys look tame.

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #116 of 1,490
I think we need a thread on the most underrated headphones! There's a ton out there that nobody seems to know about.

So far i've heard of the JVC RX700 and RX900, the Maxell DHP-II. Since i'm a Koss fanboy now it seems like, i'll of course add the Pro DJ 100 to that list.

Anything else?

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #117 of 1,490

i have listened to grado from sr 60 to sr 325 and some MS series both stock or mod,, sr 80 is the most OK grado to me...  for ath i have listened from ad series M n W series i even have the esw 9,, i buy it because i like the look n buy it  at very discount price @$80..  and i agreed that the M50 is the most overrated,, as i can hear only the bass and the bass are flabby... 

Quote:
You have owned and extensively listened to the entire Grado, Alessandro and Audio-Technica line ups, hmmm?

In a general way, not so much Head-Fi way, the Monster Beats Studio take the cake. As a sales person in an electronics store, the second I mention anything about how I'm thinking about buying a new pair of headphones I get the "you should try the Beats Studio, they're a totally different level" and I strangle them with a Monster cable.

In a Head-Fi way, the DT770s were rather overrated as they were in FOTM mode when I bought them and the W10vtg wasn't quite what I was expecting after reading the old hype posts, but although being different, still won my heart.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #118 of 1,490
Well, I'd probably consider the M50's to be overrated too if I didn't know how to use tape and liked thin music.  If you only hear bass a trip to the audiologist is recommended.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #119 of 1,490
Shure 840s. I feel too many people are recommended this headphone with little thought put into associated components. The 440 is hard enough to sound well without some halfway decent source and amp, plus possibly a small mixer in between in it all to offer some control over it. The 840 is made for a studio, more than most, Few cans in it's price bracket work as well as the 840 on a console,but I would not want to tell someone it is musical. My 440s sound fairly good with the right tubes, EQing, and out to a decent amp, but shred my ears out of a DAP, and most digital EQ on portables is  audio-mangling.

I feel the m50s earned their place. The are truly versitile, and tonally accurate when they need to be, Often I find they will reduce soundstaging to preserve tonal accuracy, which is something I quite like about them, as I can use them as a reference, not because they cost me 1000 dollars like some other reference phones, but because I know exactly what to expect, and since they can be driven straight from a DAP. it makes this even more important for me to have such a reference when I am considering a new set of headphones, or component.

AKG K271 MKIIs. These are not little kittens. The originals made in Austria were hard to listen to musically without the right setup, and if the MKIIs are the same phones, just assempled in China, then expect similar results. These should not be beginner headphones/first respectible headphones. Many half the price will smoke them and especially the poor modern k240. I am not sure if I have been able to get my k240S *(mine made in austria still, but suppost to be the same), to sound "good". IT is always a tradeoff... good mids and HF with crappy bass, or tighten up the bass and lose the HF to the 5th dimension or something.

Certain Vintage cans that are always looked back with a rose colored nostalgia, being still in production, perhaps, but there is finally now better in that low price point that do not lose so much detail, although they do have a suprisingly open warm sound, instru ments get lost and the lines blur far too soon, 1000X better than ipod buds, but then again, what aftermerket phones aren't?

Just my inflation-adjusted few cents. (and to be on record: the beats are horribly over-rated, and landis, I too bought a pair of DT770s on somewhat impulse, but with 880/990 pads on them, they get quite a lot of use on my systems... like the m50s, I know what I am going to get, and often when they sound *good* on a setup, I know that stup is tuned well, if they are boom tizzy, it is not the phones' fault after having them for this long, they have a great sound for the dollar, and reveal things other phones just don't quite as well for near their price. They are worth owning.)

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #120 of 1,490
Quote:

AKG K271 MKIIs. These are not little kittens. The originals made in Austria were hard to listen to musically without the right setup, and if the MKIIs are the same phones, just assempled in China, then expect similar results. These should not be beginner headphones/first respectible headphones. Many half the price will smoke them and especially the poor modern k240. I am not sure if I have been able to get my k240S *(mine made in austria still, but suppost to be the same), to sound "good". IT is always a tradeoff... good mids and HF with crappy bass, or tighten up the bass and lose the HF to the 5th dimension or something.

Certain Vintage cans that are always looked back with a rose colored nostalgia, being still in production, perhaps, but there is finally now better in that low price point that do not lose so much detail, although they do have a suprisingly open warm sound, instru ments get lost and the lines blur far too soon, 1000X better than ipod buds, but then again, what aftermerket phones aren't?

Just my inflation-adjusted few cents. (and to be on record: the beats are horribly over-rated, and landis, I too bought a pair of DT770s on somewhat impulse, but with 880/990 pads on them, they get quite a lot of use on my systems... like the m50s, I know what I am going to get, and often when they sound *good* on a setup, I know that stup is tuned well, if they are boom tizzy, it is not the phones' fault after having them for this long, they have a great sound for the dollar, and reveal things other phones just don't quite as well for near their price. They are worth owning.)

AKGs are known to be revealing and 'neutral' in some sort of way so musicality is not (always) a given aspect of the AKG sound. Although I found my DF to be a tad polite.

Vintage, find a Pioneer Monitor 10 and prepare yourself for you will either love it or hate it. It reveals the music in a way that for me that would almost make my DF redundant. That written I started with a MDR V6 and appreciate the more 'neutral' and 'analytical' sound. Vintage studio headphones can be extremely good still for their purpose, and they were built quite well.

The Sony MDR V6, as good as it was and still is, sometimes gets too much praise. But if you like it I can understand why.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back