Most overrated headphones?
Sep 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #91 of 1,490

Quote:
My point is though to me, they're not even worth the price that they're given.  Sure there are plenty of headphone that are worse for more money but to me the PortaPros aren't worth anything.  I wouldn't pay a single dollar for them the 2nd time around because to me there's no detail in those headphones.  Just bloated, muddy bass.  

Of course I'm not comparing their sound quality to my HD600s or JH13s but I'd rather take an Apple earbud over the PortaPros.  It could just be my preference or I have a faulty pair but they're terrible.

Like I said it's all relative and there's a price/performance ratio at play - of course this varies from person to person - but I'll freely admit that I've not heard headphones above £50 as yet (it's a case of asap now though lol) anyway for me the Koss PP are the best headphones I've owned so far in terms of sound quality on it's own and as it happens they're also the cheapest which is a bonus. Now whether they're worth the asking price for you is a personal opinion, me I say they're a flat out bargain as do lots of people who bought them, but ultimately if you think they aren't worth the money then either you own much better and have experienced better for cheaper also or simply put you don't use headphones other than what comes with. I find your case peculiar that you think so lowly of the PP and it's asking price despite owning better. That's cool though, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it and no argument here, but I suppose my next question would be have you really heard better for less money ? If so do make a mention I'll check them out!

You also make mention that you may have a faulty pair and that there's no detail.....well for me personally on my pair at least and to my ear there's detail in abundance. Especially over 'crap' junky stuff that I'd previously been used to.....but who knows. I just know that for £20 they're excellent for what you get and considering there's a fair amount of headphones at double price that don't sound nearly as good I'd say these headphones for the price are near revelatory. They're probably not audiophile quality, but for most people they do represent excellent audio quality. And excellent value for money.

But it's all relative in the end, and speaking of relativity I ask you....how can a headphone possibly be overrated if/when there's no headphone that bests it in performance that costs less - where if anything there's lots of headphones that cost a lot more that can't match them ? To me that's grounds for undervalued. Or gross overpricing depending on which way around you look at it. But the headphones remain extremely popular with the masses precisely because of the price/performance ratio hence the numerous high ratings. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #92 of 1,490
Im going to have to say grado again after lots of thinking.

If I could make a commercial about how i feel about grado, it would go like this, i could see it like the whacky waving inflatable tube man from family guy or one of those new old spice commercials 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

"do you enjoy a small sound stage with no immersion at all?  How about supbar audio quality only good for rock and rollin' tunes and just terrible for everything else? Quick look over here, im on a horse.  Or is it?  *folds out to a motorcycle.   No, its really a ninja bike, Do you like having soar ears and being forced to pay an extra $10+shipping just to buy ANOTHER BRANDS earpads to use on our headphones?  Does your lady like a mustache?  Because I have one, or do i *takes fake mustache off DO YOU LIKE HAVING A GIANT CORD that is only there for nostalgics sake, they aren't monitors but we are going to give you the biggest, longest, fattest cord imaginable!!! IF all this is what you are seeking, buy a grado SR series and ENJOY!!! *water rushes in and floods the area

now, im on a boat and sailing away on my ninja boat bike

Dah Dah Dahhhh, Dat Dat, Daa Daa DAHHHH

i think that fits perfectly with grado 

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #93 of 1,490

Quote:
Because it is supposed to be competitor to the Shure SRH840 and AKG K271 MKII. Both of them are better cans than the M50, several times better.

It just so happens that I own both M50 and SRH-840 and while I agree that the 840 are better overall than the M50, saying "several times better" though I feel is a huge exaggeration.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #94 of 1,490

Quote:
Im going to have to say grado again after lots of thinking.

If I could make a commercial about how i feel about grado, it would go like this, i could see it like the whacky waving inflatable tube man from family guy or one of those new old spice commercials 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

"do you enjoy a small sound stage with no immersion at all?  How about supbar audio quality only good for rock and rollin' tunes and just terrible for everything else? Quick look over here, im on a horse.  Or is it?  *folds out to a motorcycle.   No, its really a ninja bike, Do you like having soar ears and being forced to pay an extra $10+shipping just to buy ANOTHER BRANDS earpads to use on our headphones?  Does your lady like a mustache?  Because I have one, or do i *takes fake mustache off DO YOU LIKE HAVING A GIANT CORD that is only there for nostalgics sake, they aren't monitors but we are going to give you the biggest, longest, fattest cord imaginable!!! IF all this is what you are seeking, buy a grado SR series and ENJOY!!! *water rushes in and floods the area

now, im on a boat and sailing away on my ninja boat bike

Dah Dah Dahhhh, Dat Dat, Daa Daa DAHHHH

i think that fits perfectly with grado 

remember to take your medication. thx.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #97 of 1,490

Quote:
Koss Porta Pros.  They're recommended all over the place so I bought a pair to play around with since they're so cheap and they have little detail, a small soundstage and overwhelming bass that distorts the mids and highs.  I just really dislike them.  I've tried amping them as well with no success.

Aren't those the same headphones as the KSC75 but with a different headband? I think they are so how is it KSC75 are not overrated but Porta Pro is? For all the posts in this thread saying X headphone is overrated I can find even more threads praising them. If anyone comes to Headfi hoping to find useful info on which headphones to buy I think they will be disappointed, and it is very easy to be led astray here too. It was due to headfi users praising the M50 that I bought them and now one year later I am reading they are overrated and I wasted my money. I paid $200.00 CAD for them too because that was before they lowered the price, exact same price I paid for my Shure 840s.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #99 of 1,490

Quote:

The M50 is a better headphone to me overall just due to the fact that it actually fits and doesn't have somewhat harsh highs at times (My sig is based on sound quality only, for anyone that cares). This is one rare headphones that's only slightly better overall to me because of the comfort, fit and low price. I guess I don't buy headphones for ONLY sound quality. But that's 90-95% of it.

M50 are more comfortable than 840? Wow, I feel completely the opposite. Cups of M50 are a bit small form my ears and the headband is a bit tight too. They make my ears sweat. Neither are as comfortable as my DT990pro though.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #100 of 1,490

Quote:

Saying the PP's are overrated is like saying the beatles are overrated...not sure where I'm going with that..

Well, they are overrated. Too many people give them God-like status when there are many bands I like better and are more talented musicians too. Not saying I don't like the Beatles, just saying they are overrated.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #101 of 1,490
How about the new Q701?
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #104 of 1,490

Quote:
Porta Pros are craps!!! PX100 are much better! It's truth that most people recommend Portas, but they have really bad bass & all... PX100 aren't maybe any good for audiophiles, but in their price range they are very good portable heads IMHO.

PX100 are muddy and I prefer KSC75. I have a friend with PX100 and PortaPro and he likes the PortaPro but not sure which he likes better. These style of headphones are never going to sound really good due to law of physics so I never expect them to blow me away. I only use these types of headphones for gaming with or with a portable MP3 player.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #105 of 1,490
I love how the M50s clamp instead of rest on your head. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's downward pressure. My ears enjoy the warmness and snugness the M50 brings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back