Most overrated headphones?
Mar 17, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,366 of 1,490
104107A5-9AFE-465C-A038-25A8656134A8.jpeg

For the longest time this never made it to CD. So you needed The vinyl to listen to it. Luckily the recording was fantastic for it’s day and holds up now. Somehow every once in a while old recordings are OK. But a lot has changed, there maybe has to be a style of imagination to enjoy old recordings.

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #1,367 of 1,490
104107A5-9AFE-465C-A038-25A8656134A8.jpeg

For the longest time this never made it to CD. So you needed The vinyl to listen to it. Luckily the recording was fantastic for it’s day and holds up now. Somehow every once in a while old recordings are OK. But a lot has changed, there maybe has to be a style of imagination to enjoy old recordings.

Sounds very clean indeed, has that funny extreme left-right panned stereo from the day :)

In one parameter it's a lot better than most modern recordings, it HAS dynamics! No over enthusiastic loudness war compression/mastering but sounds much like a real recording of real stuff.

If one wants to hate on loudness wars, just listen to Ozzy Osbournes new album, exactly no dynamics all sounds are pinned at 0 decibels. Disgusting.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,368 of 1,490
I graduated High School in 1981, so it was this long run starting with a cassette tape I purchased around 1972 which had part of Led Zeppelin One on it. Music wasn’t fractured like today meaning Zeppelin was renowned by all. People from 13 years old till 30 were super into them......everyone liked them. It was also the introduction of the LP, so full albums were just starting to be recognized instead of singles. Zeppelin figured-out how to make a whole album flow, thus the diversity and dimension in them. Strangely I’m still not sick of them?
Very cool, and quite true and like you I am also not sick of Zeppelin, just way too much amazing material to not find something worth listening to.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,369 of 1,490
Very cool, and quite true and like you I am also not sick of Zeppelin, just way too much amazing material to not find something worth listening to.

One close friend of mine was a fanatic Zeppelin collector who had a giant room dedicated to the band. In the Pacific Northwest there was only one single collection of Zeppelin which was bigger; owned by the owner of Peaches Records. So the obsession of collecting Zeppelin meant that there was a large collection of bootleg recordings, some good, some OK. I ended up seeing a lot of interesting stuff. There was actually a promotional 45rpm of Stairway To Heaven. The record label gave it out to different radio stations. I saw the collector remake of “The Object” which is the small statue that you see the people seated around on the cover of “Presence”. Of course there was stacks of magazines. There was a blow-up Led Zeppelin blimp they made for record stores. Of course there were lots of different record pressings from all over the world. But these collectiors would print news letters and learn about items from word of mouth. Some bootlegs were the extremely rare and legendary.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,370 of 1,490
One close friend of mine was a fanatic Zeppelin collector who had a giant room dedicated to the band. In the Pacific Northwest there was only one single collection of Zeppelin which was bigger; owned by the Owner of Peaches Records. So the obsession of collecting Zeppelin meant that there was a large collection of bootleg recordings, some good, some OK. I ended up seeing a lot of interesting stuff. There was actually a pro 45rpm of Stairway To Heaven. The record label gave it out to different radio stations. I saw the collector remake of “The Object” which is the small statue that you see the people seated around on the cover of “Presence”. Of course there was stacks of magazines. There was a blow-up Led Zeppelin blimp they made for record stores. Of course there were lots of different record pressings from all over the world. But these collections would print news letters and learn about items from word of mouth. Some bootlegs were the extremely rare and legendary.
Yes I remember how huge bootlegs were in the 80s when suddenly concerts and venues were proliferating, or at least it seemed to me that they were proliferating around that time.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,371 of 1,490
Yes I remember how huge bootlegs were in the 80s when suddenly concerts and venues were proliferating, or at least it seemed to me that they were proliferating around that time.

Bootlegs where a exclusive listen, now everyone can rediscover tons of earlier unreleased material on Youtube. I must say I really love Youtube, easy to get hooked for hours.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,372 of 1,490

Yes, liking bootlegs was only for some. For me I appreciated studio recordings or really well done live recordings. So for me Zeppelin live recordings were just a novelty. Though some were really amazing as far as I remember. I was pretty much like; “Why listen to this scratchy far away live recording, when the studio song sounds better?”

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,373 of 1,490
...Joe Sidore did a great job on the untitled (4) recently and the 2014 Barry Diament remastering of the whole rest of catalog, besides 4, is fantastic really in any resolution.
I'm confused here. Joe Sidore did the original IV CD back in the 80's and Diament did the original CD masters of the other, also in the 80's.

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,374 of 1,490
I'm confused here. Joe Sidore did the original IV CD back in the 80's and Diament did the original CD masters of the other, also in the 80's.

You are totally right, I stand corrected.

Barry Diament remastering was earlier as well as joe Sidore remaster of 4 was before the John C.F. Davis remastering in 2014/2015. The only part I was correct on was who did the 1990 remasters, being George Marino.

Thank-you.

Classic records 2000-2005 was the first vinyl remasters I heard in 2010. So there are actually super expensive (and good) vinyl remasters before 2014/2015, which were done somewhere between 2000 and 2005.

The first wave of albums, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, and Led Zeppelin III, was released on 2 June 2014.[1] The second wave of albums, Led Zeppelin IVand Houses of the Holy, was released on 27 October 2014.[2] Physical Graffitiwas released on 23 February 2015, almost exactly forty years to the day after the original release.[3] The fourth and final wave of albums, Presence, In Through the Out Door, and Coda, was released on 31 July 2015.[4]

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #1,375 of 1,490
You are totally right, I stand corrected.

Barry Diament remastering was earlier as well as joe Sidore remaster of 4 was before the John C.F. Davis remastering in 2014/2015. The only part I was correct on was who did the 1990 remasters, being George Marino.

Thank-you.

Classic records 2000-2005 was the first vinyl remasters I heard in 2010. So there are actually super expensive (and good) vinyl remasters before 2014/2015, which were done somewhere between 2000 and 2005.

The first wave of albums, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, and Led Zeppelin III, was released on 2 June 2014.[1] The second wave of albums, Led Zeppelin IVand Houses of the Holy, was released on 27 October 2014.[2] Physical Graffitiwas released on 23 February 2015, almost exactly forty years to the day after the original release.[3] The fourth and final wave of albums, Presence, In Through the Out Door, and Coda, was released on 31 July 2015.[4]
I have found that there is no one set of masterings that does the whole catalogue justice. "Led Zeppelin" (1st album) John Davis remaster has the channels reversed. Also, some of the rock & roll grunge energy has been smoothed over. For the most part, I am finding the original vinyl releases to be the most consistent, and I'm happy with the Canadian versions of II, III, IV, Physical Graffiti and Presence (but I might be biased as that's how I first hears LZ and loved them). I have the three catalogue CD masterings and find the original CD's sound like clean vinyl copies but lacking the drive.. a tad flat sounding, but tonally pretty good. I want to drag out the Joe Sidore IV Cd to compare it to the PORKY LP. Interestingly, the second Canadian pressings of IV had the PORKY?PECKO DUCK (George Peckham UK) on side 2 but the Canadian CBC master on side one.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,376 of 1,490
I have found that there is no one set of masterings that does the whole catalogue justice. "Led Zeppelin" (1st album) John Davis remaster has the channels reversed. Also, some of the rock & roll grunge energy has been smoothed over. For the most part, I am finding the original vinyl releases to be the most consistent, and I'm happy with the Canadian versions of II, III, IV, Physical Graffiti and Presence (but I might be biased as that's how I first hears LZ and loved them). I have the three catalogue CD masterings and find the original CD's sound like clean vinyl copies but lacking the drive.. a tad flat sounding, but tonally pretty good. I want to drag out the Joe Sidore IV Cd to compare it to the PORKY LP. Interestingly, the second Canadian pressings of IV had the PORKY?PECKO DUCK (George Peckham UK) on side 2 but the Canadian CBC master on side one.

Wow, so your saying 1 remaster released in 2014 has R and L reversed? I’m pretty sure I would have noticed that? Is that commonly known? Wow. The Sidore of 4 is supposed to be a whole tape generation away from the other remasters. I read he used a 2nd generation copy of the master tapes? I actually have the original American release of 1 on vinyl still that I may have to take out and listen to, your complaints about the new 2014 edition being too clean is actually an opinion held by many.

I remember thinking 1 was pretty cool when I first heard the 2014 remaster? But I had different equipment then? It was more clear but also seemed to have a modern boost in dynamics especially like what you would want in a remaster. But people did complain that they thought it was now missing it’s underground edge? Too polished? This may be totally untrue but I always wondered if the guitar had a chance of being more forward as Jimmy Page was in charge of it all?

And that’s the thing. Are they not as good because they are not the same as you remember? Same as George Lucas putting changes to Star Wars. It may have been better in the original form, but maybe they are making it better for future generations?

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,377 of 1,490

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127162.0

The guitar on BIGLY is on the right and the vocals come in on the left.
The post above where they guy goes and pulls out both his US and UK pressing confirm that’s how it is suppose to be. Both the 2014 remaster and my German fist pressing needle drop also have guitar on the right?

What may be confusing IS some of the early CDs did have it reversed, but it’s correct now with the 2014 remasters.

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,378 of 1,490
I am usually wary of fan upmixes but the PP&M Best of makes for a truly convincing case. Love their Dylan cover!!!

There are great sounding recordings in every era. "In The Wind" by Peter Paul & Mary....1962....and it kills most of today's recordings. It sounds actual real.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,379 of 1,490
Ok I'm going to get this thread back on topic!

All the Sony MDR 1000x series I find to be overrated, as well as the Bose quiet comfort series.
Don't like any of the open back Akg series either, people say they are comfortable but I find them weird feeling on my head, like they don't touch all the way round.

I also can't stand the way Grado feel, discusting course foam that feels like a washing up sponge over or on my ears.

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,380 of 1,490
Ok I'm going to get this thread back on topic!

All the Sony MDR 1000x series I find to be overrated, as well as the Bose quiet comfort series.
Don't like any of the open back Akg series either, people say they are comfortable but I find them weird feeling on my head, like they don't touch all the way round.

I also can't stand the way Grado feel, discusting course foam that feels like a washing up sponge over or on my ears.
I enjoyed Led Zeppelin more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back