Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Dec 11, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #136 of 197
Overrated: I would have to say the HD 280's, very uncomfortable and they have a boring sound with very little bass response imo.

Underrated: Two cheap pairs of headphones I like are the HD 212's and the Philips SHL9500's. The 212's are very bass heavy and are not by any means neutral or balanced sounding but I think they are fun sounding for certain types of music. They are very comfortable, and I think they are a good value for around $50 or so. The Philips I picked up just for a really cheap travel pair for $13 at target and the sound quality and build quality is better than anything else I've come across in that price range.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #137 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, couldnt resist ! I love my 325s, but ,wow, they really bring out the haters - many of whom own and enjoy Grados of their own ...

I love the sharp treble. Flat response is boring and unenjoyable. I personally enjoy my 325i's over my sony's but they're still a great set of cans for the money. Their one failing is being closed, so it's very front row. But that's why they're still in my collection. When the lady is in the room and trying to watch her bollywood flicks, it's good to have something I can wear and not disturb her.

She has Grado SR80i so background noise matters for her.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #138 of 197
Overrated:
Grado SR-80 - I understand it's in a lower tier of headphones and I shouldn't have expected to be blown away, but as my first headphone purchase years ago by recommendation of nearly everyone on Head-Fi, the SR-80 almost singlehandedly turned me off the headphone experience. It had a sharpness to it that made me cringe at times, it left a strange feeling on my head with the sense of air (as an open phone) coupled with the Grado closeness to the musical presentation, which I guess contributed to the painfulness it caused when listened to. It just wasn't good for me. Now, I will say with tube amps the sharpness is toned down.. but why would I ever opt for an SR-80 amped over other headphones which benefit from amping much greater? Why would I buy an amp for the SR-80?

Shure SRH-840 - This, for me, was a similar experience to the SR-80s, in terms of the sharpness. I don't think the SRH-840 is naturally a bright headphone.. but with the seal it made on my head, it just made listening terribly uncomfortable. Either it clamped too hard, or if I adjusted it any it became too loose, but still somehow was just too.. piercing most of the time. The sound quality and detail retrieval is good; they are not, however, the giant killers that most with them seem to make them out to be.

K701 - I wouldn't say it's terribly overrated, but for the people who speak very, very high praise of it, I would suggest trying other headphones. At one point, I felt the K701 was incredible. Then I tried other headphones and understood that what it mainly has going for it is detail. It presents it too coldly, however, for it to be ENJOYABLE. I feel like I listen to the K701s to just.. listen to music. Not to feel it.

Underrated:
K701 - I'm contradicting myself.

Haha, on a serious note, the K701 is also vastly underrated. It gets a lot of heat for what it lacks.. but little credit for what it does right. I wouldn't say it's worthy of praise, but it definitely has its applications for whoever has a taste for its presentation. The same could be said for every headphone, understandably. But I feel the K701 gets TOO MUCH hate to be taken seriously.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #139 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overrated: I would have to say the HD 280's, very uncomfortable and they have a boring sound with very little bass response imo.

+1

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #141 of 197
IMO.
Overrated = Warm headphones with rolled off treble (HD650, etc)
Underrated = Cold/Analytical/Accurate headphones with slightly "bright" treble (ER4S/P/B, etc)

I've had both and to be honest, with most recordings I find that warm headphones end up sounding unnatural, especially since recordings tend to have the highs rolled back a bit anyway. Of course, I can understand the desire for a warm headphone; to milk out that overhyped emotional response much like a hollywood film.

I'd much prefer to get a cold phone and add a warm amp or source than a warm headphone (which I feel tend to go too far, at least in my experience).

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #142 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overrated:
Grado SR-80 - I understand it's in a lower tier of headphones and I shouldn't have expected to be blown away, but as my first headphone purchase years ago by recommendation of nearly everyone on Head-Fi, the SR-80 almost singlehandedly turned me off the headphone experience. It had a sharpness to it that made me cringe at times, it left a strange feeling on my head with the sense of air (as an open phone) coupled with the Grado closeness to the musical presentation, which I guess contributed to the painfulness it caused when listened to. It just wasn't good for me. Now, I will say with tube amps the sharpness is toned down.. but why would I ever opt for an SR-80 amped over other headphones which benefit from amping much greater? Why would I buy an amp for the SR-80?

Shure SRH-840 - This, for me, was a similar experience to the SR-80s, in terms of the sharpness. I don't think the SRH-840 is naturally a bright headphone.. but with the seal it made on my head, it just made listening terribly uncomfortable. Either it clamped too hard, or if I adjusted it any it became too loose, but still somehow was just too.. piercing most of the time. The sound quality and detail retrieval is good; they are not, however, the giant killers that most with them seem to make them out to be.

K701 - I wouldn't say it's terribly overrated, but for the people who speak very, very high praise of it, I would suggest trying other headphones. At one point, I felt the K701 was incredible. Then I tried other headphones and understood that what it mainly has going for it is detail. It presents it too coldly, however, for it to be ENJOYABLE. I feel like I listen to the K701s to just.. listen to music. Not to feel it.

Underrated:
K701 - I'm contradicting myself.

Haha, on a serious note, the K701 is also vastly underrated. It gets a lot of heat for what it lacks.. but little credit for what it does right. I wouldn't say it's worthy of praise, but it definitely has its applications for whoever has a taste for its presentation. The same could be said for every headphone, understandably. But I feel the K701 gets TOO MUCH hate to be taken seriously.

You made me lol'd there. Nicely said. I like your self-contradiction.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #143 of 197
After reading 10 pages of this over/under-rated stuff, anyone who didn't own any of these headphones listed here would become too terrified to try!

What criteria makes a decision for over- or under- rating valid? If I like the sound for the price I paid, that is valid, and if I paid too much for what little I enjoy, then it is not? Or if I read too much about what others like, and expect to like it as much as the 'hype', or have not read all the 'hype', and stumble across a less marketed brand? And what about other factors - if I like trance or grime scene and use a pair of headphones, which a classical/opera lover doesn't.....

Argh.

I'm going to to stick with my Sennheiser HD25MarkIIs. No one's dissed those yet in 10 pages. Please don't start now!!
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #145 of 197
HeadCase, I suspect it may be time for you to do a search on 'HD25-II'. It wont take long to find strident critics.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #146 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overrated: all headphones praised on head-fi.
Underrated: all headphones bashed on head-fi.

So is the HD650 overrated of underrated then? haha I hear it from both sides.
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #148 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the HD650 overrated of underrated then? haha I hear it from both sides.
tongue.gif

It used to be Hd 650 but now the Hd800 have taken it´s place I suppose
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #150 of 197
Who on Head-Fi has had the pleasure of owning a Creative headphone? The Creative Aurvana Live is sometimes better than my Sony MDR V6. I haven't noticed a many threads on the Creative headphones, especially the Aurvana series.

Creative Aurvana Live? Great sound, very sweet and polite yet lets you hear every bit of detail it can depending on the recording. I've thrown so much music at it. The Aurvana Lives work it out from 128 kbps to Flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back