Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Jan 15, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #166 of 197
Agree with many people here K271s are very underrated. Especially with recable. I have mine since 2003, and still keeping them. Very balanced aross the range, sound great even unamped, and musical too.

Grados are overrated and over priced for what they are and what they made of. IMHO

HD800 are over priced. (no comment on being over/under rated)
Stax are way over priced. (no comment on being over/under rated)

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #168 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overrated - Grado SR-60 (Crappy build quality, creates wannabe "audiophiles" who think they're awesome just because they have a "Grado", I have heard better for less).

Underrated - AKG K501 (They have great build and are an extremely transparent and adaptive pair of phones, truly the best bang for buck ever)

And what would that be?

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #169 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over-rated; the multi-award winning SR60s

I cannot second enough!

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #170 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overrated - Grado SR-60 (Crappy build quality, creates wannabe "audiophiles" who think they're awesome just because they have a "Grado", I have heard better for less).

Underrated - AKG K501 (They have great build and are an extremely transparent and adaptive pair of phones, truly the best bang for buck ever)

Personally, I think the SR60i and the SR80i are some of the best headphones for portable use out of a good portable amp. iPod +PortaAmp+Grado's with comfies is a match. My CMOY + SR80i's is just awesome.

Only problem is not good for breaks at work. I'd have to take outside for when I smoke, which is a no-no. :\

Oh well, I have SR325i for home and they do eclipse the SR80i, but for the money, they're good cans. I really do disagree. But I also respect your opinion as well...

I just can't see where you're coming from. It's no giant killer but it's a great can for the money... and I can't stand the fit and feel of portapros. Haven't worn KSC75's yet though so I'll reserve judgement (I know they sound great if they're like the portapro's) but if the fit isn't better I'll feel teh same way about 'em.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #171 of 197
When i first bought my SR80s.I really enjoyed the natural sound.But no matter what amp i used i could not get any satisfying bass out of them.Though i've never used any tube amps.But they did sound best with my Harmon Kardon receiver.But the Portapros are always satisfying.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #172 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When i first bought my SR80s.I really enjoyed the natural sound.But no matter what amp i used i could not get any satisfying bass out of them.Though i've never used any tube amps.But they did sound best with my Harmon Kardon receiver.But the Portapros are always satisfying.

I get strong bass out of my 325i's. They're supposed to be weak in the bass. It feels to me like every note has a touch of bass, but wierdly, it's in a good way. I think that's what people call warmth or maybe presence. (still really new to this but getting a lot better at it, describing it is a problem)

The one problem with grado's, and it can make or break it for any user, is the fitment. If you can't get 'em on your ears right, then they will ALWAYS sound like garbage. After finally giving up on my G cushions, I finally switched to L Cushions (Bowls), and getting them on my ears in a way that didn't sound terrible or hurt was impossible. After washing them and toughening up a bit, it's paid off.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #173 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the early-70s Beyerdynamic DT480 closed headphones are very underrated, not least because they seemingly use the same pro metal drivers that are installed in the old DT48s. Without going into all the details, I would privilege the fact that they are powerfully dynamic and tremendously fun to listen to. They are especially fine for rock, blues, vintage pop, and anything that you'd want to relish the slam in. Their bass is not bloated, they don't capture the very top range of the treble, they aren't airy, and they're not shimmery. Considering that I've long been predisposed against the darker, slower sound of closed cans, I'm constantly amazed that they portray music with so much 'grip'.

x2 My only complaint, they tend to suffer from a case of "closed canitis".

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #174 of 197
I think the Super.fi.4's are underrated. They have great detail and quality/controlled bass for the price.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #175 of 197
One of the most underrated cans, now discontinued and posthumously estimated by me - AKG K141 Monitor.
Yesterday I've bought them from a local store. They are manufactured in 1991 or 1992
biggrin.gif

I'm amazed! Very balanced freq. response, smooth, natural sound, slightly rolled off highs but after few hours of break-in and removing the foam they've become just wonderful! One of the best basses I've ever heard even from much more expensive cans e.g K701, HD650, DT880 - it's textured, controlled, detailed, punchy and well integrated in the overall sound. The sound signature is slightly dark, far from the typical AKG sound but yet balanced. Today I've compared k141 with MS-1. They surpassed the alessandro in every way - freq. balance, smoothness, detail, bass/highs quality... but they cost half the price of the MS-1
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #177 of 197
i find that...there is a love/hate relationship among users here on ATs and other headphones.

Either you love it to bits , or you tear it to shreds.

So , pretty subjective.

smile_phones.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #178 of 197
Well, I'm back after listening to my new Ultrasone Pro 900s!
tongue_smile.gif

I never even knew of Ultrasone (low marketing pitch?) until I joined this forum. These have got to be the most underrated headphones....for anyone not on this forum
atsmile.gif

The Ultrasone Pro 900s have everything going for them. For £220, they excel in every way over the Sennheisers I have. I'm so impressed with them I can't wait to figure out a re-termination solution to get a smaller 90 degree L bend 3.5mm jack plug fitted. Apart from that, they're just incredible in detail, sonic spatial qualities and transparency. This is the headphone which reinvigorates old records and albums!

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #179 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find that...there is a love/hate relationship among users here on ATs and other headphones.

Either you love it to bits , or you tear it to shreds.

So , pretty subjective.

smile_phones.gif

Yeah, I see that too when it comes to the AT's.

I love a pair of ATH-A700's (the closed ones) that I have. And I used to own the open AD700 and I didn't like them. So maybe they (AT) have a wide variety of sound signatures.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #180 of 197
underated: K271/K272
a wonderful can that's similar to a HD650 but with much more midrange presence, and they can actually carry a tune. they scale well and do have bass when fed by a B22 and Bijou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back