most comfortable headphones
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
I am on a quest to find a really comfortable set of full-size headphones for long, all-day listening and listening in bed (don't like to wake up with my phones still on and pressing uncomfortably).

I find Grados to be very uncomfortable. Sennheiser is so-so to me. What are your picks for most comfortable high-sound-quality, full-size headphones?

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 39
Denons!
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 39
i am not an expert on this but my sony mdr f1 has never let me down in any way until i killed it from using too much volume... very light and very soft on the head, but i wouldnt try to lie down with it cuz it just slides right off

if your listening in your bed have you considered the canal phones?

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 39
"if your listening in your bed have you considered the canal phones?"

I love canal phones. I have Ety ER 4 for good sound and Senn "canal-buds" for running, but I get a lot of earwax build up in my ears (yes, I do wash my ears) My ear doc said canal-phones are bad, pushes the wax in deep.
mad.gif
So I've switching most of my listening to full size phones.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 39
It's very hard to beat 'float' type frames for comfort. So that means, Ergo 2 for current production 'phones.

mb-quart's patented 'cardamatic' suspension is amazingly comfortable too, though. It applies very even pressure because the earcup is suspended by four elastic bands rather than two rigid pivot points. Faust2D has a QP70 for sale at a very reasonable price.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 39
I find the Stax SR-007 to be über comfortable.
Soft earpads and low clamping force. Recommended!
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 39
I use the Beyer DT770/Pro 80, after two month of break-in it now hugs my head snug - secure but not clamping, super comfortable, very very compact for a circumaural. I love it.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PieRat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons!
biggrin.gif

Yea I just bought the Denon D-2000 and man are they comfy. They completely cup the ear and have leather pads which don't seem to get very hot even after long periods of use.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 39
Of the many headphones I have owned over the years, the top 3 most comfortable (in order) would be:

1) Denon D5000/D2000
2) AT A900s
2) Sony CD3000s

Although all of those phones are quite comfy while lounging in a chair, I'm afraid they are all likely way too large to wear comfortably while laying down in a bed for extended periods of time.

Good luck.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 39
I had a set of Sennheiser 570's that were amazingly comfortable. Light in weight and the pads are covered in a very soft material. I thought they were more comfortable than the 580's and worlds more comfortable than Grados. Whenever I put the 570's on I would be amazed at how pleasant they were to wear.

Bryan

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 39
Another vote for the Beyers. DT770s and 880s feel relatively similar. I went on the pursuit for a set of comfortable headphones after loving the Grado sound and hating the way they feel. AT900s were comfortable but they gave me headaches, while the Beyers are just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back