Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #3,766 of 11,979
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,768 of 11,979
I think you made a great decision by not getting the oxygen or kxxs because I personally feel like the kpe are on par with the oxygen and I also wholeheartedly believe that they sound more better then then the kxxs I just received. Kxxs have more smear to the mids and the transients seem a tiny bit slower. Kpe also have better stage and sound more lively and energetic for me but that is my opinion.

I've loved following your posts on your comparisons to the other mid tier IEMs against the KPEs but please play some music and loosen up your Kxxs's before you judge them against the KPEs. I'm pretty sure Moondrops refinement of the KPEs into the Kxxs's was more about streamlining the shell manufacturing than changing the drivers or sound signature.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #3,769 of 11,979
Still really enjoying my A8...getting more listening time than the Andromedas.

They pair really well with a good DAP. Using my XDP300R with max lock range and details galore.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #3,770 of 11,979
I've loved following your posts on your comparisons to the other mid tier IEMs against the KPEs but please play some music and loosen up your Kxxs's before you judge them against the KPEs. I'm pretty sure Moondrops refinement of the KPEs into the Kxxs's was more about streamlining the shell manufacturing than changing the drivers or sound signature.
Oh ok... Then how long do they need to loosen up and what changes did you notice? My problem with the kxxs is that the warmth is hindering some of the technical abilities of this iem. Imo the oxygen have the same level of warmth but separate instruments better, having slightly better clarity, slightly faster transients and a more spacious stage.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #3,772 of 11,979
I was going to get the Spaceship from Amazon, but now I see they have the discontinued Crescent for $30, which is only a $10 difference. I am wondering now which one to get, I know that the Crescent are supposed to be “technically “ better, but also that they have issues, namely the weight of the earpieces and the fact that they are hard to drive from a phone/iTouch. Any suggestions? How heavy are the Crescent? How hard are they to drive? Or should I just go for the Spaceship?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #3,773 of 11,979
I was going to gettheSpaceship from Amazon, but now I see they have the discontinued Crescent for $30, which is only a $10 difference. I am wondering now which one to get, I know that the Crescent are supposed to be “technically “ better, but also that they have issues, namely the weight of the earpieces and the fact that they are hard to drive from a phone/iTouch. Any suggestions? How heavy are the Crescent? How hard are they to drive? Or should I just go for the Spaceship?
Spaceship & crescent both are hard to drive, although crescent is a little bit heavier than spaceship I still prefer the overall sound of crescent.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #3,774 of 11,979
Spaceship & crescent both are hard to drive, although crescent is a little bit heavier than spaceship I still prefer the overall sound of crescent.
Really? I assumed since the Spaceship is 16Omh and the Crescent is 32 the Spaceship would be considerably easier to drive. Might have to stay away from both then.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #3,775 of 11,979
Regarding tip shape difference having effect on bass. Either subs or mid-bass emphasis due to the shape of the silicone tips. My examples were Spaceship and Crescent. Interestingly, Spaceship has different shaped tips from KPE or Crescent if you guys have noticed. I also noticed with my AKG Samsung iem. The stock tips provided more mid-bass, and Spinfits provided more subs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-41#post-15103157

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #3,776 of 11,979
I was going to get the Spaceship from Amazon, but now I see they have the discontinued Crescent for $30, which is only a $10 difference. I am wondering now which one to get, I know that the Crescent are supposed to be “technically “ better, but also that they have issues, namely the weight of the earpieces and the fact that they are hard to drive from a phone/iTouch. Any suggestions? How heavy are the Crescent? How hard are they to drive? Or should I just go for the Spaceship?

Crescent are little golden bullets that can comfortably wedge inside your ear with rounded edges, drives well, and has a pleasing signature. My only regret is waiting so long to get this treasure.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #3,777 of 11,979
Crescent are little golden bullets that can comfortably wedge inside your ear with rounded edges, drives well, and has a pleasing signature. My only regret is waiting so long to get this treasure.
Drives well with a phone or iPod, or you have to drive them with a better source? I keep hearing they are difficult to drive from a weaker source.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #3,779 of 11,979
Really? I assumed since the Spaceship is 16Omh and the Crescent is 32 the Spaceship would be considerably easier to drive. Might have to stay away from both then.

Crescent is less sensitive than Spaceship (98db/mW vs 103db/mW), Crescent will be a bit harder to drive. However, I can easily push them to uncomfortably loud levels with a normal iPhone SE line out, and my LG G7 doesn't break too much of a sweat. Considering the sound quality difference between them, I'd say that get the Crescent before they go stock out.

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #3,780 of 11,979
I’m using the crescent off an iPod dongle and it drives just fine. Overall very pleasing, reminding me of the Sony 755 in a good way.

I also don’t mind the weight, as they have a decent fit. I switched out the stock tips for small size aet07a.

I haven’t tried the spaceship, but you can find them on eBay for 17.99, which seems pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back