Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #3,781 of 11,979
I recently found a better seal with my A8s with the Symbio W tips (silicone/foam hybrid). The results were pretty amazing.

Paired my M11 with my A8, I find nothing lacking in any of the frequencies. Bass is as clear as day and thumping. Kick drums and snare drums have a nice omph and weight to them. Sub-bass sounds great with bass guitars. Every note can be heard through the music mix (see A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys). Does not bleed into the mids. Lower mids and male vocals are not recessed like a lot of IEMs and are very present and are front and center. I do not need to struggle to hear them in a track (Rock genres are a good example). The A8 also handles frequency separation extraordinary well. The three soundtubes on each side of the earpieces let the sounds flow neatly and organized. Electric guitars have nice zing to them and very emotional. Regarding female vocals, they’re level with male vocals imo, so no particular emphasis and are quite transparent with no metalicity (see Give Me That Slow Knowing Smile - Lisa Ekdahl). No upper midrange zing or fatigue which I quite like. Treble is quite articulate and very resolving. No sibiliance or fatigue. Love the tonality (see No Surprises - Radiohead). It also handles congestion like a champ (see Burn the Witch - Radiohead). You have sub-bass, bass, treble, lower mids and upper mids all aggressively competing for presence attention in that track. The A8 manages to present all of the frequencies with amazing cohesiveness and dynamicism which I’m really impressed by. Soundstage (My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion) - tons of air and height. Triangle quietly hitting on the left. Flute in the back. Celine her heart out in the center. Sound effects booming her voice upwards (go onnnnnnnnnn - (4:05), cymbals quietly on the right. Drums giving some depth and good weight.

Criticism - the earpieces are quite big - but have a really nice fit. Stock cable kind of sucks (I’m using an Empire Ears Phantom cable). Bass is not the most textured (BA bass). Need Symbio W tips to sound their best.

In all seriousness, I find it’s really hard to combine amazing detail (across ALL frequencies) while sounding cohesive and musical. The Andromeda does it. The A8 does it as well. I’m really happy with mine :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #3,782 of 11,979
I got a little inspiration from the Youtube personality BGGAR. In one of his ramblings, he mentioned that the pressure release (at the base of the nozzle), of the KPE is larger than the respective aperture on the KXXS.

As the KPE isn't exactly a slouch, when it comes to the low end, I just wanted to close the aperture a little. So I broke out a roll of breathable, tape (for bandaging) and proceeded to perforate the area that would cover the target.

The result: just a touch more Sub to Mid bass :ksc75smile:

Pinhole.jpg

KPEtoKXXS.jpg

Aug 7, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #3,784 of 11,979
For people with KXXS facing a problem with fit, try the eartips shown in the picture below. They come stock with Fearless IEMs and Kanas Pro too. They help KXXS fit snugly in my ears. I have average shaped concha and use mediums. If you don't have these, here is a link to get them - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32705277906.html. You can choose your size and colour. 5 pairs for $1.80 + $2-3 shipping.

KXXS 4.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3,786 of 11,979
Ive heards that the distortion on the kxxs is significantly higher than that of the kpe, does it make such a big difference?

From this thread, I have not seen a trend (from actual owners) of the KXXS, that indicates a ceiling, related to the THD.

I'm guessing you bounced over here after reading the most recent detractor from mDrop. If I'm wrong, that's on me.

For myself, before I look to invest $165 - $190 in an IEM, I would invest a little time and go through at least the last month of this thread's feedback.

You'll find that while the KXXS is the latest and "greatest ?" from Moondrop, there are members that are loyal to the prior iterations; because of each respective profile.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #3,787 of 11,979
From this thread, I have not seen a trend (from actual owners) of the KXXS, that indicates a ceiling, related to the THD.

I'm guessing you bounced over here after reading the most recent detractor from mDrop. If I'm wrong, that's on me.

For myself, before I look to invest $165 - $190 in an IEM, I would invest a little time and go through at least the last month of this thread's feedback.

You'll find that while the KXXS is the latest and "greatest ?" from Moondrop, there are members that are loyal to the prior iterations; because of each respective profile.
Nah i just heard from some ppl ik
Edit:yea ive been lurking this thread the past month and by far the kxxs looks to be the best

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #3,789 of 11,979
Ive heards that the distortion on the kxxs is significantly higher than that of the kpe, does it make such a big difference?

I don't hear any problems in my 2.5 months of owning kxxs and I'm using them regularly in rotation. :) I have KP and kxxs both and I like kxxs more.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #3,791 of 11,979
So I just got the Moondrop Solis, Kanas, and KXXS. Let's see how they are.

For reference, I am indeed a Harmon reference kinda panda.

Kanas:

Me Gusta. Balanced and very vibrant sound with a full bodied ability to show off what the background can truly do with a nice thick bass to go with it. Vocals and mids are fairly sharp but lack a bit of thickness to it, imagine your favorite singer and their neck shrunk down by 10% kinda thing. Good for sure, but when you play in the big leagues, every bit counts.

Overal sound signature pretty much shoots for that harmon sound with more warmth and idea towards 'balance' and dynamic presentation than pure neutrality which sometimes can be too sharp, too detailed, too in your face

(SOLIS below)

GIXWYUR.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #3,794 of 11,979
As the KPE isn't exactly a slouch, when it comes to the low end, I just wanted to close the aperture a little. So I broke out a roll of breathable, tape (for bandaging) and proceeded to perforate the area that would cover the target.

The result: just a touch more Sub to Mid bass :ksc75smile:

With KPE, closing or reducing body vent (driver back venting) doesn`t do pretty much anything actually. I can do measurement if You want but I did not hear any noticeable difference.
BUT... try closing or reducing nozzle vent (driver front venting) and You get noticeable change in sound: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...ressions-thread.894139/page-240#post-15063386

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,795 of 11,979
I must stop spending money every month on this game..
:disappointed_relieved:
You could buy a used TOTL IEM at a price that makes you crinch and chances are that you'll be healed for a long time :)
I did that with an Astell & Kern T8iE MKII. Going higher than that I'll have to spend $$$$ and that's easy to resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back