Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #3,586 of 12,004
I only listened to it briefly, but yea, I think that's the sharp treble I didnt like when I first popped it on with some Chromeo tracks. It's just a tad too bright and splashy for me.

I found my initial listen of the No. 3s to be "hissy". When playing female vocals, where the lyrics included drawing out the "S"; I put them down for a good 2 days of burn in and the hissing is no more.

For walking around, with my phone being the only option, the No. 3s are my current choice; as they're very easy to drive and the thump is enveloping

Will you be reviewing the Ikko OH10 ?
Without have my hands on a pair of KXXS' to compare them to, I'm making an uninformed conclusion (have to justify the cost of the OH10s), that the Ikkos might be my end game, for now.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #3,587 of 12,004
Those No.3 graphs look similar to the FiiO FH1 graph. At least I know what to expect wrt the tuning on the No.3 now.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #3,588 of 12,004
I just read Chickenmoon's impressions that support the measured response.

As expected from graphs, I find the No3 to be very close to the EN700 Pro but with some extra brightness/forwardness due to this 8khz peak the Simgot doesn't have. The No3 are also more technical with tighter/better defined bass and overall better resolution I guess but it's not a massive difference to my ears.

I haven't compared the No3 with the KP or O2 but I am pretty sure, having compared those with the EN700 Pro in the past, that it doesn't beat either of those in technicality.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #3,589 of 12,004
I found my initial listen of the No. 3s to be "hissy". When playing female vocals, where the lyrics included drawing out the "S"; I put them down for a good 2 days of burn in and the hissing is no more.

For walking around, with my phone being the only option, the No. 3s are my current choice; as they're very easy to drive and the thump is enveloping

Will you be reviewing the Ikko OH10 ?
Without have my hands on a pair of KXXS' to compare them to, I'm making an uninformed conclusion (have to justify the cost of the OH10s), that the Ikkos might be my end game, for now.
Intrested in the oh-10 too but i doesnt seem to be getting any traction round here

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #3,590 of 12,004
If you like your IT01, TFZ no 3 will suit you more with upgrade on overall resolution, clarity, forward mids. You will miss that punchy mid bass (even though IT01 more mid bass bleed), but no 3 are clearer than IT01 and better textured (i got ibasso IT01 too). And directly from smartphone, of course no 3 much more easier to drive from smartphone.

Thanks for the comments, I'm in love with IT01, but it's time for an upgrade.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #3,591 of 12,004
Thanks for the comments, I'm in love with IT01, but it's time for an upgrade.
I haven't heard them but sounds like the tfz no 3s would be a direct upgrade to the IT01 in every way for a great price.
I have two pairs of the original IT01 and used them as my daily driver for over a year and a half one with the original 3.5mm cable and one with a 2.5mm balanced cable and I loved them.
After having the KPEs as my daily driver for the past few months I can't even enjoy the IT01s any more, they have too much mid bass to me now and are missing the KPEs smooth clean holographic midrange that I'm addicted to now.
There are some great deals on some awesome IEMs now and you can't go wrong with either of them. Good luck

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #3,593 of 12,004
I can't even enjoy the IT01s any more, they have too much mid bass to me now and are missing the KPEs smooth clean holographic midrange that I'm addicted to now.
Same here, though, I can still enjoy IT01 but I guess it is because of modifications. In stock condition is probably would think/hear same with You.
Btw, messed around more with different tips (I counted my tips and have 63 different S-size! O_o) and front/nozzle vent hole tape mod and currently listening with Spinfit CP100-S + electrical tape mod (with very tiny breathing holes in it done with hot super-thin sewing needle). This thing is quite a beast in this way. Sub-bass reach/extension is insane and that "thin sound" many don`t like is totally gone. Bass & percussion hits hard and weighty but still without bleed into low-mids. Will post measurements tonight (can`t do it atm, too much noise). Will see if graphs support what I`m hearing.
Though, I really like it without tape-mod also (with stock tips), not sure it is improvement for all music I listen as I`m sensitive to mid-bass and like it "dead-flat".
But, without A/B to IT01 by memory, It blews IT01 bass/mid-bass every possible way.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,594 of 12,004
Yes, but for me KP lacks of punchy bass that made kick drum missing its life. Im aware about sub bass roll off and not. Its not about the mid bass being overshadowing by sub bass, just lack of that punch, missing the complete picture of bass punch. For rumbles, of course KP do more than no 3 perhaps, or the no3 mid bass just that too much. Both bass texture not the top notch like say on Sony EX1000 but they're pretty good for the price.

Im agree with you, normally if they up the upper mid bass, these will also effect 250-350hz area (lower mids). This is made bass bleed that warming up the entire frequency. harman target is flat down until up just around 200hz. But to make iem like that its really difficult task unless they put crossover with multi driver just at 200 hz point. sony Z1R did great job with this tuning
Yes, I do see that people mention that about the KP. I do notice that the bass character isn't thick impact as I would put it, and I mean similarly to what you point out about the lack of punch in the bass. I do notice it hitting hard enough, but I guess it can be more tactile with it's hit with a bit of a shape to the hit as well, as it sounds a bit rounded to me. Positive for me is, it goes back to initially state very quickly if driven strong enough. It's bass characteristic does contribute to it's overall dynamic and exciting signature that makes music sound so interesting.

As we know, the MH755 has a signficant bass lift, particularly the subs, and this iem has even less impact than KP. Due to this characteristic, the bass doesn't seem overwhelming at all. This could be good or bad, but I just wish it had harder bass impact.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #3,597 of 12,004
I like to listen to my music loud-ish (maybe I am going deaf...) and I've got more than enough headroom with the Kanas on low gain with the M5s, but that's a larger DAP meant to power some full-size cans. I usually keep it between 40-60 out of 100 on the volume on low. Ultimately, the gain setting all depends on how loud you like your music, how many mW your DAP cranks out at 32 ohms, including the balanced power output rating. So with smaller devices like the M0, or ES100, you might need to stay on high gain or use balanced if it's available. But with stuff like the R3, M5, or M11, low should be more than enough.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #3,599 of 12,004
Btw, messed around more with different tips (I counted my tips and have 63 different S-size! O_o) and front/nozzle vent hole tape mod and currently listening with Spinfit CP100-S + electrical tape mod (with very tiny breathing holes in it done with hot super-thin sewing needle). This thing is quite a beast in this way. Sub-bass reach/extension is insane and that "thin sound" many don`t like is totally gone. Bass & percussion hits hard and weighty but still without bleed into low-mids. Will post measurements tonight (can`t do it atm, too much noise). Will see if graphs support what I`m hearing.
Though, I really like it without tape-mod also (with stock tips), not sure it is improvement for all music I listen as I`m sensitive to mid-bass and like it "dead-flat".
But, without A/B to IT01 by memory, It blews IT01 bass/mid-bass every possible way.
9940917_l.jpg

If modding KPE like this won`t please ppl being little unpleased with KPE bass weight/punch/thinness and upper treble "peaks"... then I don`t know what will.
Also notice how tape mod pushes high-treble "peaks" further up? Might help those who are sensitive to high-treble peaks.
Btw, using CP100-S tips tames those high-treble "peaks" even more, about 1-2dB, else is same as stock tips with tape mod.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #3,600 of 12,004
I like to listen to my music loud-ish (maybe I am going deaf...) and I've got more than enough headroom with the Kanas on low gain with the M5s, but that's a larger DAP meant to power some full-size cans. I usually keep it between 40-60 out of 100 on the volume on low. Ultimately, the gain setting all depends on how loud you like your music, how many mW your DAP cranks out at 32 ohms, including the balanced power output rating. So with smaller devices like the M0, or ES100, you might need to stay on high gain or use balanced if it's available. But with stuff like the R3, M5, or M11, low should be more than enough.

Thanks for the reply. I’m using FiiO M9. Does high gain increase power output any differently than turning up the volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back