Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #3,601 of 11,979
I over-drove my KP's left driver. I didn't think I over-drove it too hard, but I guess dynamic drivers easier to blow than BA.

In my case, SPL meter on my REW measurement software wasn't calibrated, and I kept raising the 1K tone signal too much, and then the left driver stopped functioning correctly. What's interesting is that the higher frequencies got effected, but lower frequencies are somewhat fine. If we look what happened, around 1k beyond is ****ed, but before that is fine.

Blown driver, left side
Kanas pro right side.jpg

right side
Kanas pro right.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #3,602 of 11,979
I over-drove my KP's left driver. I didn't think I over-drove it too hard, but I guess dynamic drivers easier to blow than BA.

In my case, SPL meter on my REW measurement software wasn't calibrated, and I kept raising the 1K tone signal too much, and then the right driver stopped functioning correctly. What's interesting is that the higher frequencies got effected, but lower frequencies are somewhat fine. If we look what happened, around 1k beyond is ****ed, but before that is fine.

Blown driver, left side

right side

OMG feel so sorry bout that

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #3,603 of 11,979
The stock KPE tips are quite good, I'm not impressed with the lack of sizing though. Did everyone else get just 6 pairs, (2 pair large, 2 pair M, 2 pair S) only 3 different sizes in total?

Can anyone verify, were we supposed to receive 2 pair each of 3 different sizes only, or should there have been 6 different sizes? I have 2 different size ear canals, and it makes sizing tough. :frowning2:

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #3,604 of 11,979

In my case, SPL meter on my REW measurement software wasn't calibrated, and I kept raising the 1K tone signal too much, and then the right driver stopped functioning correctly. What's interesting is that the higher frequencies got effected, but lower frequencies are somewhat fine. If we look what happened, around 1k beyond is ****ed, but before that is fine.

Blown driver, left side
Oh no..... How does one blow a driver? Listening too loud for too long? Playing certain frequencies? Wondering so I can avoid...

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,605 of 11,979
Oh no..... How does one blow a driver? Listening too loud for too long? Playing certain frequencies? Wondering so I can avoid...
I drove it too hard, much greater than any listening level. I drove it really hard with 1khz tone signal. It's a mistake on my part, because my measurement software, REW 's SPL meter wasn't calibrated, and it wss my first time playing with the software and wasn't aware that the meter wasn't reading the SPL correctly, so I kept raising the volume until the driver blew.

So, you shouldn't worry about it blowing on any listen volume level, but I didn't expect these iem dynamic drivers to blow that easily.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #3,606 of 11,979
Can anyone verify, were we supposed to receive 2 pair each of 3 different sizes only, or should there have been 6 different sizes? I have 2 different size ear canals, and it makes sizing tough. :frowning2:

Correct I only received one pair of each size but I couldn't get a proper seal with any of them so after rolling a bunch of my tip collection I settled on the New Bee memory foam tips from Amazon

I've cranked mine for hours on end without any problems and you would harm your ears long before you would damage a driver listening to music so I wouldn't worry if all you're doing is listening to them.
You can blow a 300 watt 12" driver with a 1 watt squared sine wave but that's part of the fun for some.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #3,609 of 11,979
With my KP messed up (a blown driver), I've been enjoying the Spaceship. I like the dynamic response of the iem. When I switch over to ER4, I realize how low in dynamics the Ety is in comparison. I'm scratching my head if it's a fit issue with ER4 as ER4 is quite expensive in comparison.

For those that think their Moondrop iem doesn't have enough mid-bass impact, I recommend trying out Spaceship, as it's another fun sounding iem from Moondrop with less subs, and more mid-bass impact.

For $20, it performs really well. I even prefer it over Final E1000 as well.

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #3,610 of 11,979
With my KP messed up (a blown driver), I've been enjoying the Spaceship. I like the dynamic response of the iem. When I switch over to ER4, I realize how low in dynamics the Ety is in comparison. I'm scratching my head if it's a fit issue with ER4 as ER4 is quite expensive in comparison.

For those that think their Moondrop iem doesn't have enough mid-bass impact, I recommend trying out Spaceship, as it's another fun sounding iem from Moondrop with less subs, and more mid-bass impact.

For $20, it performs really well. I even prefer it over Final E1000 as well.
i prefer my tin t2 over kxxs

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #3,611 of 11,979
i prefer my tin t2 over kxxs
Why? Can you provide more of a detailed comparison between them?

One caveat I find with Spaceship is the resolution, it does get grainy in the treble area. It would be so much better with better resolution, but even with resolution lacking a bit, it sounds good overall. I think it's the decay response and separation is good, that enhances the imaging. It sounds like details are forward without the sharp resolution. A bit sibilant with vocals, but I've heard worse.

It would be interesting if Moondrop can make something like Spaceship with more resolution. But, given it's size, design, and with the housing material in it's build, it's nicely done.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #3,612 of 11,979
Why? Can you provide more of a detailed comparison between them?

One caveat I find with Spaceship is the resolution, it does get grainy in the treble area. It would be so much better with better resolution, but even with resolution lacking a bit, it sounds good overall. I think it's the decay response and separation is good, that enhances the imaging. It sounds like details are forward without the sharp resolution. A bit sibilant with vocals, but I've heard worse.

It would be interesting if Moondrop can make something like Spaceship with more resolution. But, given it's size, design, and with the housing material in it's build, it's nicely done.
the kxxs has just better resolution. i like the tuning bass mids treblenstage and details and comfort more on my t2.

but what gave my t2 the total push was using inair 2 foam tips und put then down till they cover the vent and use the isn8 2.5 balance cable whit my es100. this combo i dont now why is a giant killer

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #3,613 of 11,979
the kxxs has just better resolution. i like the tuning bass mids treblenstage and details and comfort more on my t2.

but what gave my t2 the total push was using inair 2 foam tips und put then down till they cover the vent and use the isn8 2.5 balance cable whit my es100. this combo i dont now why is a giant killer
I could understand this because I don't think Spaceship is a technically good iem particularly (not highly resolving), but the way music is presented, it's engaging. So far, I found Moondrop's tuning to be engaging for music. It's just not so detailed sounding, and you can hear the mids doesn't resolve that much. I think partly why it sounds interesting is due to it's dynamic response.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #3,614 of 11,979
I could understand this because I don't think Spaceship is a technically good iem particularly (not highly resolving), but the way music is presented, it's engaging. So far, I found Moondrop's tuning to be engaging for music. It's just not so detailed sounding, and you can hear the mids doesn't resolve that much. I think partly why it sounds interesting is due to it's dynamic response.
i think the same about the t2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back