Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,616 of 11,979
Most affordable DD iems fail hard with orchestral music, considering that the T2 doesn't means that it should have some technical chops. I like my T2 a lot, it just sounds a bit shouty (even dirty) at times that's why I'm thinking about a kxxs purchase.
i gave the kxxs today another round and when you eq bass and treblenit gets a beast

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #3,617 of 11,979
Figured I'd join the Moondrop party with the Spaceship. Purchased these from Moondrop on AliExpress when they were first released. Not a review sample, though it's not as if such a thing would change my impressions anyway. I simply couldn't pass up on a new, budget friendly 6mm micro dynamic. They're so uncommon nowadays thanks to the budget hybrid craze that's still going on.

Anyway, first impressions are quite positive. Upper mids are forward leading to some very mild sibilance on female vocals, but that's my only issue as of yet. Lack of a nozzle lip doesn't seem to be an issue with the few tips I've rolled. Build is outstanding for the price with a comfortable, tiny shell and good fit and finish (rubber reliefs could use some trimming, but whatever). Treble is nicely extended and not too aggressive. Just enough presence in the brilliance region to give hi hats and chimes some shimmer. Presence region is nicely placed too giving this little micro dynamic good detail and clarity through the mids. Bass is tight and deep without any mid-bass bloat. Sound stage isn't massive but there is enough space to show off some fabulous imaging at this price point. Haven't tossed anything too demanding through it yet, but layering and separation seems alright as well. Anyone who picked these up and are awaiting their arrival should be comfortable with their purchase. It's a quality product.

And some crappy pictures for those that like seeing what's being talked about. Unfortunately Moondrop shipped them without adequate protection so the package was almost folded in half when it arrived, though it straightened out well. Luckily the iems themselves remained unscathed.

IMG_4829.JPG IMG_4835.JPG IMG_4837.JPG IMG_4840.JPG IMG_4841.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #3,619 of 11,979
Figured I'd join the Moondrop party with the Spaceship. Purchased these from Moondrop on AliExpress when they were first released. Not a review sample, though it's not as if such a thing would change my impressions anyway. I simply couldn't pass up on a new, budget friendly 6mm micro dynamic. They're so uncommon nowadays thanks to the budget hybrid craze that's still going on.

Anyway, first impressions are quite positive. Upper mids are forward leading to some very mild sibilance on female vocals, but that's my only issue as of yet. Lack of a nozzle lip doesn't seem to be an issue with the few tips I've rolled. Build is outstanding for the price with a comfortable, tiny shell and good fit and finish (rubber reliefs could use some trimming, but whatever). Treble is nicely extended and not too aggressive. Just enough presence in the brilliance region to give hit hats and chimes some shimmer. Presence region is nicely placed too giving this little micro dynamic good detail and clarity through the mids. Bass is tight and deep without any mid-bass bloat. Sound stage isn't massive but there is enough space to show off some fabulous imaging at this price point. Haven't tossed anything too demanding through it yet, but layering and separation seems alright as well. Anyone who picked these up and are awaiting their arrival should be comfortable with their purchase. It's a quality product.

And some crappy pictures for those that like seeing what's being talked about. Unfortunately Moondrop shipped them without adequate protection so the package was almost folded in half when it arrived, though it straightened out well. Luckily the iems themselves remained unscathed.

Would you give a word comparade to T2s? I mean, if do they aim at the same public, i have my eyes on these, since i had my eyes on crescent but didn't bought it because it's same FR as kanas and not actually cheap to buy out of curiosity, these seem more unique by FR.

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #3,620 of 11,979
Hey guys, I was listening to my kanas pros the other day and noticed a slight channel imbalance that has gotten progressively worse. Swapped cables, source, and different IEMs to isolate the problem to the right side kanas pro.

Has anyone had similar issues and had any luck with their warranty? Unfortunately, Im the second owner, so it may be tricky.

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #3,621 of 11,979
Hey guys, I was listening to my kanas pros the other day and noticed a slight channel imbalance that has gotten progressively worse. Swapped cables, source, and different IEMs to isolate the problem to the right side kanas pro.

Has anyone had similar issues and had any luck with their warranty? Unfortunately, Im the second owner, so it may be tricky.

It's been brought up a few times in this thread, your filter screen is probably clogged a bit. You can try to dip the tips in some 99% isopropyl alcohol and let them dry out a few times and you should be good to go.

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #3,622 of 11,979

Does it still have the problem after sitting for a while? If not, that's a condensation problem, very common on KPE and Crescent, warranty can't fix that. Main reason I stopped using mine.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #3,623 of 11,979
Does it still have the problem after sitting for a while? If not, that's a condensation problem, very common on KPE and Crescent, warranty can't fix that. Main reason I stopped using mine.
Is thos something common with dynamic drivers? Is there more details on this issue? First time hearing about it, and being associated with a particular company's line beggs the question why this company's stuff.

I guess I'm looking for a detailed explaintion how the condensation effects the deivers. This is pretty concerning.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #3,624 of 11,979
Is thos something common with dynamic drivers? Is there more details on this issue? First time hearing about it, and being associated with a particular company's line beggs the question why this company's stuff.

I guess I'm looking for a detailed explaintion how the condensation effects the deivers. This is pretty concerning.
It just depends lot on personal body physiology(inner ear-canal temperature, sweating and venting need), shell material (in case of KPe it is magnesium alloy) and climate (temperature & humidity) You live in.
For example I`m totally good with wearing KPE outside most of times but when its winter/autumn, then that magnesium alloy gets cold from outside (and inside) and inner-ear can`t heat up nozzle part enough to avoid condensation problem.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #3,625 of 11,979
It just depends lot on personal body physiology(inner ear-canal temperature, sweating and venting need), shell material (in case of KPe it is magnesium alloy) and climate (temperature & humidity) You live in.
For example I`m totally good with wearing KPE outside most of times but when its winter/autumn, then that magnesium alloy gets cold from outside and inner-ear can`t heat up nozzle part enough to avoid condensation problem.
Are all Moondrop's line, Magnesium alloy? Seems like Moondrop likes metal housing. Not a bad thing for looks, but it general runs into those issue of condensation?

I guess if I lived in silicon valley, I'd be totally fine.

Does the material of the housing contribute to acoustical properties?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #3,627 of 11,979

Not common at all with dynamic drivers. It's because how it was built. I opened my Crescent and the nozzle has a sound damper installed right behind the metal screen. This is a thin membrane that looks like paper, with it removed the sound is a lot louder and very shrill so it is not very permeable to begin with. Being right behind the screen, all the moisture that builds on the screen is wicking onto this filter. Moisture will build on any screen no matter the material type the IEM is made, I have moisture building on my plastic iems with fabric screens but that's not a problem because most dynamic IEMs don't have a sound damper filter installed behind the screen and the screen's holes are large enough to deal with some moisture.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #3,628 of 11,979
Not common at all with dynamic drivers. It's because how it was built. I opened my Crescent and the nozzle has a sound damper installed right behind the metal screen. This is a thin membrane that looks like paper, with it removed the sound is a lot louder and very shrill so it is not very permeable to begin with. Being right behind the screen, all the moisture that builds on the screen is wicking onto this filter. Moisture will build on any screen no matter the material type the IEM is made, I have moisture building on my plastic iems with fabric screens but that's not a problem because most dynamic IEMs don't have a sound damper filter installed behind the screen and the screen's holes are large enough to deal with some moisture.
Wouldn't it be an issue if the environment is continuously condensating? It will dry out over time, no? Or when the environment becomes dry, the moisture will dry out? What about place it in rice when not in use? Rice tends to suck up moisture.

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #3,629 of 11,979
Even though cleaning the filter fixes the imbalance issue, after a while, the filter after some cleaning sessions gets kinda degraded so its acoustic damping proprieties changes, therefore, slightly changing the tuning compared to stock. That was pretty clear to me using Tanchjim Oxygen since the filter is black I can spot the wet layer building up, even cleaning it and fixing the balance when measuring it the nitpick perfect channel balance wasn't perfect at all (some user reported the same thing and measured it here). It just got perfect after replacing the filters for new ones.

My best solution for now is shoving a piece of foam inside the tip to act like as a "moisture trap". In O2s case, it adds some warmth due to slightly taming some highs frequencies which makes a bit darker but I like it (however, I can see people feeling it a bit too much damping). Since then the issue has gone so, for now, I'll stick with this solution.

But for KPE, I think Moondrop should sell spare filters in their AE/taobao page or add more extra filters like in KXXS' package.

Credits for the ChrisHeld1989 who posted it here.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #3,630 of 11,979
IMO using sonic filters on single dynamic drivers is a pretty crappy shortcut to not spend time on tuning the driver. None of my other great sounding dynamics use such solution, latest being No.3 which only has a large mesh to stop debris between the driver membrane and ear and sounds great. Crescent with the filter removed sounds horrendous, totally unlistenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back