Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #4,831 of 8,051
Your original post says it's cleaner than the stock USB 2.0 but your USB C is still 2.0 lol. I'd have to get one to see but I highly doubt it's any difference
Thing is, the type C is just the connector. It can connect with USB 2 or 3 or 3.1. If it happened to be a cable dedicated to USB 3.1 then it should have better specs for the higher data rates and higher charging current capabilities. If it is going from USB C to a USB 2 connection (standard USB A or mini or micro connector), it may or may not be any higher grade. However if it works better there is something to it. Not likely it is just due to having a type C connector on the cable though.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #4,832 of 8,051
Well I was on the B&H Photo notification list for the Audeze vegan pads. Just received an e-mail that they changed their status to "discontinued" (I believe they were listed as "back-ordered" previously and the website confirms this). RIP vegan pads. Glad I got my brown ones in the very last batch that got shipped out.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #4,834 of 8,051
That's pretty annoying. I'm 90 percent joking here, but who wants to start a slightly different (better) vegetarian pad design and manufacturing run with me?

If we could agree on a community designed alcantara / suede angled memory foam pad for under $40 I'd be down. The Shure 1540 pads so far have been my favorite pads I've ever used. A cheap (under $10) pad mounting adapter would also be really nice.

In a hopefully more realistic scenario, Monoprice would continue supporting the M1060 with a pad revision and start selling a revised pad option soon.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4,835 of 8,051
If we could agree on a community designed alcantara / suede angled memory foam pad for under $40 I'd be down. The Shure 1540 pads so far have been my favorite pads I've ever used. A cheap (under $10) pad mounting adapter would also be really nice.

In a hopefully more realistic scenario, Monoprice would continue supporting the M1060 with a pad revision and start selling a revised pad option soon.

I bought a $30 adapter, not cheap but hey no more glue lol. I also removed the tape from my m1060 and used the double sided tape that came with the audeze pads to cover the drivers.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,836 of 8,051
This may not be a question that anyone has an answere for. I have had my Koss ESP 950 electrostatic headphones for about 25 years. Outside of a few exotic headphones, I have not really heard any more resolving headphones. I am curious if anyone has compared the M1060 to the Koss ESP 950 headphones? I have never owned a set of Planar phones, but have listened to few.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #4,837 of 8,051
161541.jpg

Monoprice Stereo Tube Headphone Amp with 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC, Bluetooth, and Preamp Out
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=16154&seq=1&format=2
On sale $69.99 (was 99.99$)
i don't know how it sound ,, i just ordered one to see if its any good for the preamp out ..

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,838 of 8,051
161541.jpg

Monoprice Stereo Tube Headphone Amp with 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC, Bluetooth, and Preamp Out
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=16154&seq=1&format=2
On sale $69.99 (was 99.99$)
i don't know how it sound ,, i just ordered one to see if its any good for the preamp out ..

Do let us know - I have been eying that one (as well as their 25/50w amp + headphone out brothers) for a while now. A desktop headphone amp would be nice for sure, and the price is reasonable.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #4,840 of 8,051
Should I send my M1060 in? My left ear cup/driver creaks when I press it closer to my head. It's like a springy type of noise. I have no idea what this noise is sounds like it's from inside the headphones. It's not the hinge. The right earcup doesn't make the noise. Headphone sounds alright to my untrained ear but if someone could enlighten me to what this is I'm hearing I'd be grateful.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #4,841 of 8,051
Should I send my M1060 in? My left ear cup/driver creaks when I press it closer to my head. It's like a springy type of noise. I have no idea what this noise is sounds like it's from inside the headphones. It's not the hinge. The right earcup doesn't make the noise. Headphone sounds alright to my untrained ear but if someone could enlighten me to what this is I'm hearing I'd be grateful.

I would contact them. When I press mine closer all I hear is the foam.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,842 of 8,051
I just did the mod with the Bounty white select a size paper towel. I also swapped out the stock pads with the Audeze leather a few days ago.
With these 2 simple mods, it's "almost" like a new set of headphones. It put a big smile on my face when I first heard them.
I was sure I wasn't going to keep these the way they sounded stock. I've pretty much changed my mind.
It's not so substantial (actually pretty close) that it's night and day, but it definitely enhanced the treble (no sibilance) and the bass has, I believe, a lot more punch and low end.

Nice job cskippy

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #4,843 of 8,051
I just did the mod with the Bounty white select a size paper towel. I also swapped out the stock pads with the Audeze leather a few days ago.
With these 2 simple mods, it's "almost" like a new set of headphones. It put a big smile on my face when I first heard them.
I was sure I wasn't going to keep these the way they sounded stock. I've pretty much changed my mind.
It's not so substantial (actually pretty close) that it's night and day, but it definitely enhanced the treble (no sibilance) and the bass has, I believe, a lot more punch and low end.

Nice job cskippy

I did the same recently. Not sure if brand of paper towel counts. I also didn't think I'd like the white paper. I wanted black but only one place sells black paper towels.

I also ordered a 3D printed magnetic pad adapter too. Just in case I wanna try different pads later.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #4,844 of 8,051
I ended up folding two sides of the cloth under until they touched, making an elongated shape.

It's a balancing act between adding more damping and rear reflections to tweak the frequency response and not adding too much where you restrict the airflow and hurt driver response. Keeping the foam under the paper towel and not covering it completely allows the driver to breathe better. A larger size or denser material will have a greater effect.

I used Bounty Pick-A-Size paper towels, one sheet cut in a 3 inch diameter.

Fully covered backside foam gives this echoey sound that I didn't like. And going smaller than 3inch doesn't give as much difference from no paper

I use bounce 2 ply and I still use stock pads fwiw.
Didn't like the kitchen paper towel so I used some of this Scott paper towel we had at work:
Scott.jpg
Love what it did. At first, I doubled the thickness and made the circle 3.5 inches. That was way too much and made the headphone sound closed. So I cut a 3" circle using a single sheet. Taking a hint from rgmffn, I shaved off a sliver from each side to make a circle with two flat sides. That resulted in perfection for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back