Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4,817 of 8,051
1. I'm not sure tho because I've never removed my pads.
2. making an elongated shape and positioned it in front of and covering just the driver slits. This exposes more of the stock foam to the sides.
1. You can always put the stock pads back on. Just a suggestion from somebody who finally swapped pads and loves the result. The major benefit is a less fatiguing sound. The Audeze leather pads also attenuate that "hollow" sound some people complain about.

2. I might try that but whatever change I hear (or think I hear) with the paper towel mod is small compared to the pad swap.

Mine are 3" circle... not covering entire foam.
My 3" circles don't look like they cover as much area. Maybe I cut them too small. I'll have to check.

My question is, How is the bass for everyone else? I am afraid that mine might be defective because everything else sounds pretty damn good.
Bass on my pair is very lean, but to me lean doesn't mean lacking. It's more low bass edging toward sub bass. The bass usually doesn't call attention to itself but when it does you know it's there.

The Audeze pads are WAY better but...the pad opening is slightly smaller and they put your ears further from the driver which will make the mids/lower treble even more recessed.
If find that not to be the case with the leather ones. Just the opposite: the pad opening is slightly roomier, and the pads put your ears closer to the driver.

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4,818 of 8,051
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #4,819 of 8,051
SO I have spent a solid 3 months now with my Monolith M560 with Shure 1540 Alcantara earpads, and XBR 500 earpads. I have to say, out of everything I have heard from headphone convention, and the 50+ cans I have owned personally... T90's, Vibro MK2's, HD650, HD600, HE-400i, HE-400s, HD700, etc etc etc...

I prefer the M560 over the M1060 still, in fact it is my number one favorite can, but its very dependant on amp/dac.

Asgard 2 is usually main amp, Vali 2, etc... well none of those matched well with M560 for some reason....

My final setup: Schiit Fulla 1 over Type C cable (much cleaner than stock/USB 2.0) > Equalizer APO > PEACE GUI > bass/high boost preset > pre-amp -3 > Disable all enhancements windows > monolith m560 > alcantara 1540 earpads = life is good on all music genres now.... makes me want to party like a mofo, m1060 was just too boring for me, but I am a soundstage junkie :D

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #4,820 of 8,051
SO I have spent a solid 3 months now with my Monolith M560 with Shure 1540 Alcantara earpads, and XBR 500 earpads. I have to say, out of everything I have heard from headphone convention, and the 50+ cans I have owned personally... T90's, Vibro MK2's, HD650, HD600, HE-400i, HE-400s, HD700, etc etc etc...

I prefer the M560 over the M1060 still, in fact it is my number one favorite can, but its very dependant on amp/dac.

Asgard 2 is usually main amp, Vali 2, etc... well none of those matched well with M560 for some reason....

My final setup: Schiit Fulla 1 over Type C cable (much cleaner than stock/USB 2.0) > Equalizer APO > PEACE GUI > bass/high boost preset > pre-amp -3 > Disable all enhancements windows > monolith m560 > alcantara 1540 earpads = life is good on all music genres now.... makes me want to party like a mofo, m1060 was just too boring for me, but I am a soundstage junkie :D

Just wondering how you are using USB Type C when its a Mini USB connection?

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #4,821 of 8,051
There are type c to mini and micro usb cables semi readily available.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #4,822 of 8,051
So, a type "C" cable with an adapter on both ends is better than a decent grade USB cable? Interesting. I have a few around.. and adapters.
I have to give it a try.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #4,823 of 8,051
So, a type "C" cable with an adapter on both ends is better than a decent grade USB cable? Interesting. I have a few around.. and adapters.
I have to give it a try.

I bought mine off Amazon, and yes the power is cleaner, more power as well, solid 5v entire time since Type C has better standards in the industry. Standard USB always gave me static as well, Type C does not, its a game changer for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...1499829833&sr=8-3&keywords=type+c+to+usb+mini

:) It turns the Fulla 1 into a mediocre device, into a holy crap.... this is amazing lol don't expect it to power 300 ohm devices or anything... but 200 and under its fine. I prefer it over my Vali 2 and Asgard 2 for most of my cans now... no idea why, just has a nice sound to it, its all subjective I guess so to each their own.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #4,824 of 8,051

Doesn't disabling Windows enhancements turn Equalizer APO useless/off?

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #4,825 of 8,051
Doesn't disabling Windows enhancements turn Equalizer APO useless/off?

oops yeah you are right. i guess i turned off enchancements, then installed APO... never realizing that is re-enabled enhancements, i just checked and you are right lol... well w.e I love APO

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #4,826 of 8,051
I bought mine off Amazon, and yes the power is cleaner, more power as well, solid 5v entire time since Type C has better standards in the industry. Standard USB always gave me static as well, Type C does not, its a game changer for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...1499829833&sr=8-3&keywords=type+c+to+usb+mini

:) It turns the Fulla 1 into a mediocre device, into a holy crap.... this is amazing lol don't expect it to power 300 ohm devices or anything... but 200 and under its fine. I prefer it over my Vali 2 and Asgard 2 for most of my cans now... no idea why, just has a nice sound to it, its all subjective I guess so to each their own.

Your original post says it's cleaner than the stock USB 2.0 but your USB C is still 2.0 lol. I'd have to get one to see but I highly doubt it's any difference

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,827 of 8,051
Got this cable delivered today. Unfortunately it only works on my left side. I'm thinking bc it's not stereo ends like the stock cable? Either way will return and keep looking. Stock cable is great quality, just too long for my desk use:

https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-Replacement-upgrade-AH-D600-Headphone/dp/B01LYS3MM8

Found the same exact cable but looks like its stereo on the ends so it should work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...sfade-M-100-V-MODA-XS-Headphone-/311685598701

No, that's not the issue. I got a custom balanced cable for these. Headphone ends were mono 2.5, just as in your picture. Works fine on my m1060s (and also on my HE-560s). I asked the cable builder (tritonaudiocables.com) about it. He said the TRS connectors are just easier to find. Ring shouldn't be wired for these cables. I think you just got a defective cable.

It is worth pointing out that the connectors on these headphones are very stiff. You really have to push to get the plug in all the way. There was an earlier poster who had the same problem -- s/he found that the cable was not fully inserted.

Not suggesting you don't know how to plug in a cable. Just saying others have had this problem.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,828 of 8,051
Got this cable delivered today. Unfortunately it only works on my left side. I'm thinking bc it's not stereo ends like the stock cable? Either way will return and keep looking. Stock cable is great quality, just too long for my desk use:

https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-Replacement-upgrade-AH-D600-Headphone/dp/B01LYS3MM8

Found the same exact cable but looks like its stereo on the ends so it should work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...sfade-M-100-V-MODA-XS-Headphone-/311685598701

Haven't had good experience with NEOMUSICIA, so its probably a bad cable. If you need something cheap for on the go search HE-350 cables. They also use 2.5mm connectors and can be used on the 1060s.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #4,829 of 8,051
No, that's not the issue. I got a custom balanced cable for these. Headphone ends were mono 2.5, just as in your picture. Works fine on my m1060s (and also on my HE-560s). I asked the cable builder (tritonaudiocables.com) about it. He said the TRS connectors are just easier to find. Ring shouldn't be wired for these cables. I think you just got a defective cable.

It is worth pointing out that the connectors on these headphones are very stiff. You really have to push to get the plug in all the way. There was an earlier poster who had the same problem -- s/he found that the cable was not fully inserted.

Not suggesting you don't know how to plug in a cable. Just saying others have had this problem.

I think he has the m560?

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #4,830 of 8,051
I think he has the m560?

Yes, I see that on his profile page. Shouldn't matter though. Balanced or SE, there's only 2 wires used for each side -- TS. Difference is that Balanced, the grounds are separate. If the connection uses Ring instead of Sleeve or Tip, then neither side would play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back