Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 9, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #4,786 of 8,051
Hi, anyone know a good replacement cable for the M560? I find the stock cable abit cumbersome and tangle often. I had been searching for such cable for quite a few days but can't seems to find any. The only method I know will be getting those with 2.5mm jacks and add adapters to it, not really appealing though..

Focal Elear cables may work?

Edit: Also, Meze 99 Classics use 3.5mm cable too

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #4,787 of 8,051
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #4,788 of 8,051
This sounds like it might be my problem. I did notice a little play in the center connector after soldering. Specifically, when you say that the center pin moves, does it move laterally? in-out?
it moves in and out so using glue keeps it in the in position.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,789 of 8,051
Focal Elear cables may work?

Edit: Also, Meze 99 Classics use 3.5mm cable too

Thanks man this really helps a lot! Now I know to use what name to find them.

Was looking at this for my M560. Quite expensive though. Upgrade Meze/Elear cables on eBay are like $15-$25

https://www.etsy.com/listing/474321592/custom-infinity-series-cable-fits-focal

Thanks man will look for them in eBay. The one you looking at is really expensive, maybe you can try do one yourself? Think may be cheaper that way? I don't know how to though haha.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #4,790 of 8,051
Was looking at this for my M560. Quite expensive though. Upgrade Meze/Elear cables on eBay are like $15-$25

https://www.etsy.com/listing/474321592/custom-infinity-series-cable-fits-focal

If those ebay replacements are anything like the one I picked up for a K7XX then they are way inferior to an Impact audio cable in quality. The Ebay/Amazon ones use cheap, stiffer nylon plastic feeling braiding, standard connectors, and have worse microphonics than stock cable. The Impact Audio Cables are similar to V-moda cables in feel - nice soft and extremely 'drapey' cloth cable that is very light and dampen microphonics better than the stock cable. The custom Impact Audio cables are expensive, but the quality is more than up to the price level (high end premium connectors and great workmanship put into the one I have for my M1060) and you can have them done in any available color combination you want. The quality of the Impact Audio cable is much better than that of the headphone it's attached to. The Ebay/Amazon cheap cables really do feel the price they are.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #4,791 of 8,051
Just a little PSA for the modders out there: make sure the diaphragm for your M1060 is clean. I'm not telling everyone to mess around but in my case there was some dried crud and a piece of hair stuck between the magnet and diaphragm. After a little gentle clean up with a q-tip and water the sound quality is much better than any mod I've done to them.
However I did notice that one of my diaphragm is slightly misaligned to the magnets while cleaning them. Could possibly be the reason for the slight driver imbalance I'm experiencing.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #4,792 of 8,051
BE VERY CAREFUL if you plan on cleaning the diaphragm. Did you unscrew the metal plates with the magnets or did you just clean by inspecting through the slits? A hair on the diaphragm will definitely cause buzzing and distortion.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #4,793 of 8,051
BE VERY CAREFUL if you plan on cleaning the diaphragm. Did you unscrew the metal plates with the magnets or did you just clean by inspecting through the slits? A hair on the diaphragm will definitely cause buzzing and distortion.

Yeah, I DON'T recommend anyone do it unless they
  1. Are willing to risk $300+ by destroying the driver and surrendering their warranty.
  2. Notice a ton of crap on the diaphragm and are having sound quality problems.
  3. Are very patient and have steady gentle hands.
I cleaned them through the slits very very very very gently and slowly.

I didn't notice much buzzing before but I did experience slight distortions and peaks. The sound is definitely much smoother now however.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #4,794 of 8,051
A hair on the diaphragm will definitely cause buzzing and distortion.

Makes me want to put the foam back in. The paper towel in vracer's photo entirely covers the foam.
vracer.png

What would be the difference with entirely covering if any? Circle, square, single ply? The thick or thin stuff? On a physical level, what does this do?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #4,796 of 8,051
Makes me want to put the foam back in. The paper towel in vracer's photo entirely covers the foam.

What would be the difference with entirely covering if any? Circle, square, single ply? The thick or thin stuff? On a physical level, what does this do?
I modified the paper towel mod. I tried several different types of paper towels and napkins and ended up with using some cloth. It sounded best to me. It's actually some driver cover cloth from another HP. It has one side that's somewhat shiny and the other is felt-like. It sounds similar to what is covering the drivers on the M1060s as described by others here. I'm not sure tho because I've never removed my pads.

I put the cloth in with the shiny side towards the driver. Same size as most here, around 3 inches across. After experimenting, what I ended up doing was folding two sides of the cloth under until they touched, making an elongated shape and positioned it in front of and covering just the driver slits. This exposes more of the stock foam to the sides. When I folded it this way I felt it added some air to the sound but maintained the benefits of the mod itself. Because of the additional air it seemed to add, I wouldn't recommend completely covering the entire foam, with whatever you use. Unless you're looking for more of an up-front type of sound. Preferences vary. This was just my take on it and what I heard.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,797 of 8,051

It's a balancing act between adding more damping and rear reflections to tweak the frequency response and not adding too much where you restrict the airflow and hurt driver response. Keeping the foam under the paper towel and not covering it completely allows the driver to breathe better. A larger size or denser material will have a greater effect.

I used Bounty Pick-A-Size paper towels, one sheet cut in a 3 inch diameter.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #4,798 of 8,051
I modified the paper towel mod. I tried several different types of paper towels and napkins and ended up with using some cloth. It sounded best to me. It's actually some driver cover cloth from another HP. It has one side that's somewhat shiny and the other is felt-like. It sounds similar to what is covering the drivers on the M1060s as described by others here. I'm not sure tho because I've never removed my pads.

I put the cloth in with the shiny side towards the driver. Same size as most here, around 3 inches across. After experimenting, what I ended up doing was folding two sides of the cloth under until they touched, making an elongated shape and positioned it in front of and covering just the driver slits. This exposes more of the stock foam to the sides. When I folded it this way I felt it added some air to the sound but maintained the benefits of the mod itself. Because of the additional air it seemed to add, I wouldn't recommend completely covering the entire foam, with whatever you use. Unless you're looking for more of an up-front type of sound. Preferences vary. This was just my take on it and what I heard.
I had similar experience when trying to tweak the paper towel mod. Fully covered backside foam gives this echoey sound that I didn't like. And going smaller than 3inch doesn't give as much difference from no paper

I use bounce 2 ply and I still use stock pads fwiw.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,799 of 8,051

Mine are 3" circle... not covering entire foam.

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #4,800 of 8,051
I thought I'd share my thoughts.
Received my Audeze Sheepskin pads today. Quite a substantial improvement in sound. I believe they're not quite as dark as they were before and the highs are a bit enhanced while smoothed. The cymbals sound close to what they're supposed to sound like. The crash is where you really hear it along with the high hat. I like-ee.
The biggest improvement is the "almost" complete disappearance of that teeth grinding high mid that was as irritating as anything I've heard on a set of cans. I also EQ'd it down about 2db @ 3hz and bumped it up 2db @ 15k on Equalify. I like this sound with the new pads and some EQ'ing. Didn't lose any bass at all and actually they seem a bit more punchy and slams with authority when the song calls for it.
It was easy removing the stock pads and I was lucky enough to use the existing adhesive on the cups. I'll keep the rings if needed for future use.
I'm very surprised how changing the pads on this can has so dramatically improved the sound for the better.....much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back