Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #4,801 of 8,051
So I just got my pair of these today, and bass is completely underwhelming on my pair. I am having to boost 100hz shelf at 12db just to get music to sound normal to me. My question is, How is the bass for everyone else? I am afraid that mine might be defective because everything else sounds pretty damn good.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4,802 of 8,051
So I just got my pair of these today, and bass is completely underwhelming on my pair. I am having to boost 100hz shelf at 12db just to get music to sound normal to me. My question is, How is the bass for everyone else? I am afraid that mine might be defective because everything else sounds pretty damn good.

Bass with cskippy mod is close to that of my modded TH-X00 PH. Need more run time on the phones, bass will come around. Amp used makes a difference as well... loves a high current/low output impedance amp...

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #4,804 of 8,051
What other headphones are you comparing them too? 12dB is an INSANE amount of boost, make sure your are adjusting EQ ouput level to compensate or you are going to be clipping and have distortion like crazy.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #4,805 of 8,051
I am pre-amping down. I have been using ISINE 10's lately, and love them except they hurt my ears so I figured I would roll the dice on the 1060's. The audeze's have significantly more bass running flat. Without the EQ on the 1060's, It's really hard to hear a bass guitar in a rock track and kick drums have no real presence or attack either.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #4,806 of 8,051
There must be one heck of a lot of unit to unit variation in these. While far from bass monsters, I find the bass quite adequate. They are not TH x00s but I find levels.. if not SQ in the bass to be on par with the HE 560.

A headphone that does not call attention to the bass part of the spectrum, but does a good job when the program has the content.
Never heard the Sine (anything) though.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #4,807 of 8,051
I am pre-amping down. I have been using ISINE 10's lately, and love them except they hurt my ears so I figured I would roll the dice on the 1060's. The audeze's have significantly more bass running flat. Without the EQ on the 1060's, It's really hard to hear a bass guitar in a rock track and kick drums have no real presence or attack either.

This doesn't sound right at all... a well driven M1060 has more bass quantity than Audeze iSINE 10's. Quality may be a tossup, but impact/dB wise the M1060 takes it. Kickdrums come across nearly as impactful as they do from the TH-X00PH on a Paper Towel modded M1060...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #4,810 of 8,051
Make sure you aren't using the included 1/4" adapter

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #4,811 of 8,051

Unit to unit variation seems pretty possible. But also make sure you are getting a good seal. To double check, just try pressing the ear cups up against your head and see if it changes. The M1060's are definitely not bass light at all.

There must be one heck of a lot of unit to unit variation in these. While far from bass monsters, I find the bass quite adequate. They are not TH x00s but I find levels.. if not SQ in the bass to be on par with the HE 560.

A headphone that does not call attention to the bass part of the spectrum, but does a good job when the program has the content.
Never heard the Sine (anything) though.

Interesting, I did a direct A/B comparison for like 2 hours with my modded M1060 vs HE-560 and the bass wasn't even close. The HE-560 are pretty neutral to bright, sort of the planar version of HD800. Bass hits hard and goes deep when called for but it isn't thick and warm with a lot of body like modded M1060. My pair is much closer to HD650 warmth with more extended, deeper bass.

Make sure you aren't using the included 1/4" adapter

Definitely double check this as that adapter has been known to have a lot of issues.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #4,814 of 8,051
I thought I'd share my thoughts.
Received my Audeze Sheepskin pads today. Quite a substantial improvement in sound. I believe they're not quite as dark as they were before and the highs are a bit enhanced while smoothed. The cymbals sound close to what they're supposed to sound like. The crash is where you really hear it along with the high hat. I like-ee.
The biggest improvement is the "almost" complete disappearance of that teeth grinding high mid that was as irritating as anything I've heard on a set of cans. I also EQ'd it down about 2db @ 3hz and bumped it up 2db @ 15k on Equalify. I like this sound with the new pads and some EQ'ing. Didn't lose any bass at all and actually they seem a bit more punchy and slams with authority when the song calls for it.
It was easy removing the stock pads and I was lucky enough to use the existing adhesive on the cups. I'll keep the rings if needed for future use.
I'm very surprised how changing the pads on this can has so dramatically improved the sound for the better.....much!

nice! they get even more comfortable as time goes by too, leather softens up and feels great :)

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #4,815 of 8,051
nice! they get even more comfortable as time goes by too, leather softens up and feels great :)
May i know between stock and audeze leather, which one is "softer"? As in which collapse more? One thing I learned from headfi extreme bass headphone thread is that stiffer pads transmit sub bass vibration better and gives a better sense of deep rumble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back