Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 9, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #4,772 of 8,051
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #4,774 of 8,051
Anyone know a great amp pairing for the m1060's? I've got the Schiit Modi Multibit and use the output on my Aune x1s to power my cans, but I don't find the amp/headphone pairing to be any good, as it is kinda congested and shrill at times. Is the Vali 2 a great buy? A small amp with big sound is preferred, as I have limited desk space.. :)

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #4,775 of 8,051
Anyone know a great amp pairing for the m1060's? I've got the Schiit Modi Multibit and use the output on my Aune x1s to power my cans, but I don't find the amp/headphone pairing to be any good, as it is kinda congested and shrill at times. Is the Vali 2 a great buy? A small amp with big sound is preferred, as I have limited desk space.. :)

I have the Vali 2 and the M1060 sound ok with it, but not remarkable. Through my iFi Micro iDSD though, the M1060 sound incredible to me, no congestion. It's a small amp with big sound (4W into 16ohm in turbo mode). It does cost more than the Vali 2 but it's worth every penny. As always YMMV.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #4,776 of 8,051
I have the Vali 2 and the M1060 sound ok with it, but not remarkable. Through my iFi Micro iDSD though, the M1060 sound incredible to me, no congestion. It's a small amp with big sound (4W into 16ohm in turbo mode). It does cost more than the Vali 2 but it's worth every penny. As always YMMV.

I've been looking at the iFi Micro iCan SE, will it sound similar you think? May be the same amp just with DAC on your part? :)

EDIT: seems like the iCan SE has marginally better/different specs, but I doubt they sound very different. Might just pick that one up, seems like the perfect form factor and reviews are good!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #4,777 of 8,051
Making a cable for my M1060 V1, which needs mmcx connectors. The first cheap pair of connectors I tried didn't work (poor connection -- sound cutting in and out). Has anyone found mmcx connectors that work well? I was trying to locate Eidolic mmcx's, but can't find them for sale anywhere.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #4,778 of 8,051
Making a cable for my M1060 V1, which needs mmcx connectors. The first cheap pair of connectors I tried didn't work (poor connection -- sound cutting in and out). Has anyone found mmcx connectors that work well? I was trying to locate Eidolic mmcx's, but can't find them for sale anywhere.

I have some from Luna Shops, cheap and they work well once I figured out how to keep the center pin inplace after soldering the wire to it, superglue or hot glue. This is the basic problem with the MMCX connector, getting the center pin to stay.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #4,779 of 8,051
I have some from Luna Shops, cheap and they work well once I figured out how to keep the center pin inplace after soldering the wire to it, superglue or hot glue. This is the basic problem with the MMCX connector, getting the center pin to stay.

This sounds like it might be my problem. I did notice a little play in the center connector after soldering. Specifically, when you say that the center pin moves, does it move laterally? in-out?

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #4,781 of 8,051

I might be in the minority here, but I don't find the M1060 to be that amp picky. So far I have paired it with an Xduoo XD-05, O2, Little Dot mk2, and NFB-11. I also have a sound level meter with an A/B switch and do volume matched (within 0.1 dB) testing. The Little Dot is probably the only one I could distinguish in a blind test. I also understand the subjective side of this and I do feel the NFB-11 performs best and sounds the best. But at least for perspective, if I can't distinguish in a blind test than the differences are small and subtle, not night and day.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,782 of 8,051
It is the cans........

doesn't have to be, higher end headphones do respond differently to one amp and another.. There's a reason people always recommend getting a tube amp for the hd600. After upgrading the internal DAC on the Aune x1s to the Modi Multibit, a lot of "shh" sounds that I've heard hundreds of times before is gone, and the sense of air is greatly improved. And that's from a DAC, which is only supposed to change about a few percent of the sound signature. Amps can be even more impactful on the sound, so that's why I'm asking for opinions.

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,783 of 8,051
I've been looking at the iFi Micro iCan SE, will it sound similar you think? May be the same amp just with DAC on your part? :)

EDIT: seems like the iCan SE has marginally better/different specs, but I doubt they sound very different. Might just pick that one up, seems like the perfect form factor and reviews are good!

That would pair nicely with the Multibit. The iCan SE is a good choice for power in a small form factor.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #4,784 of 8,051
These graphs are as ghetto as you can get using my phone so take them with a HEAVY grain of salt.

I've recorded a bunch of different mods on M1060 and put them in a gallery with descriptions.

F stand for mods done on the front ear side. R for rear grill side.
I used electrical or duct tape on some of the mods cover the front vent holes. It's counting from the top to bottom.

Example: No pad - F: Tape 4 & 5 vent R: 2 ply Felt Square (No ear pad applied. Taped up 4th and 5th vent in ear side driver from the top. 2 layers of Walmart felt applied to rear grill side of drivers.)

http://imgur.com/a/6As5R

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the bass response since I started a sweep at 100hz on some of them and passed through to 1k quickly. I was mainly concerned with changes to the 4-5k peak and treble at around 8-9k

These were all taken from the right ear driver since my drivers are somewhat mismatched

Let me know if there are any questions.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,785 of 8,051
Hi, anyone know a good replacement cable for the M560? I find the stock cable abit cumbersome and tangle often. I had been searching for such cable for quite a few days but can't seems to find any. The only method I know will be getting those with 2.5mm jacks and add adapters to it, not really appealing though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back