Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,846 of 8,051
@caenlenfromOCN why do you prefer the 1540 Alcantara over the Sony pads? I did notice needing more volume going from stock pads to the Sony pads but comfortability was of course much better

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #4,847 of 8,051
@caenlenfromOCN why do you prefer the 1540 Alcantara over the Sony pads? I did notice needing more volume going from stock pads to the Sony pads but comfortability was of course much better

Has a touch more bass. Honestly though the Sony's are a touch more comfortable, and I like the Sony earpads vocals a touch better. I think since your ear sits further away from the driver, gives it more time to develop or something. I can't decide which is my favorite honestly. lol

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,849 of 8,051
Noticed the vegan pads are sold out, sad because I never got a chance to get a set.
Any other alternatives you recommend?
I've been very happy with HiFiMAN Velpads so far. They need the tabs clipped off. They're probably a bit brighter than the vegans but they definitely settle the 5k ringing.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #4,850 of 8,051
Noticed the vegan pads are sold out, sad because I never got a chance to get a set.
Any other alternatives you recommend?

Which ones are you looking for?
Vintage King Audio has them, or at least they did a week ago.
I got the Audeze LCD black sheepskin leather pads for $80. It's a special order and I received within a week.
They also have the brown non leather for $100

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,852 of 8,051
https://vintageking.com/audeze-lcd-earpads Check the drop down menu under Material*

Also, who has the brown vegan pads? Curious as how they look on the headphones.

I have the browns and someone else posted photos earlier in this thread.

I personally really like how they look now. Since the cup rings are brown wood the pads actually match with them well and they don't feel out of place at all. I didn't realize any place still had them for sale. Those could potentially be the last stock of any Audeze vegan pads available forever.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #4,853 of 8,051
So my T50RPs got the external left to right connector wire chewed up by a cat.... so I am thinking of modding them to have a similar wire scheme to the M1060s. I haven't decided between a 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack in each cup, but either could work.

There are reasonably affordable hifiman replacement cables, which some here use, and that sounds great. However...

Why would those cables not 'mono out' both channels when used on the M1060? I assume that the left cup would be wired to sleeve + tip and right to sleeve + ring on both the source and dest end? Or do the hifiman headphones use stereo out on the headphone end because they were cheaper or something? Just trying to figure out the best way to wire these so that they are usable with easily accessible cables. And knowing how the common M1060 replacement cables work would help also. :)

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #4,854 of 8,051
I thought I'd share my thoughts.
Received my Audeze Sheepskin pads today. Quite a substantial improvement in sound. I believe they're not quite as dark as they were before and the highs are a bit enhanced while smoothed. The cymbals sound close to what they're supposed to sound like. The crash is where you really hear it along with the high hat. I like-ee.
The biggest improvement is the "almost" complete disappearance of that teeth grinding high mid that was as irritating as anything I've heard on a set of cans. I also EQ'd it down about 2db @ 3hz and bumped it up 2db @ 15k on Equalify. I like this sound with the new pads and some EQ'ing. Didn't lose any bass at all and actually they seem a bit more punchy and slams with authority when the song calls for it.
It was easy removing the stock pads and I was lucky enough to use the existing adhesive on the cups. I'll keep the rings if needed for future use.
I'm very surprised how changing the pads on this can has so dramatically improved the sound for the better.....much!

Nice, I ordered the Massdrop ZMF Eikon Sheepskin pads which are sized for Audeze/M1060. Hopefully they have the same effect but I'll give my impressions once I get them sometime in August.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4,855 of 8,051
So my T50RPs got the external left to right connector wire chewed up by a cat.... so I am thinking of modding them to have a similar wire scheme to the M1060s. I haven't decided between a 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack in each cup, but either could work.

There are reasonably affordable hifiman replacement cables, which some here use, and that sounds great. However...

Why would those cables not 'mono out' both channels when used on the M1060? I assume that the left cup would be wired to sleeve + tip and right to sleeve + ring on both the source and dest end? Or do the hifiman headphones use stereo out on the headphone end because they were cheaper or something? Just trying to figure out the best way to wire these so that they are usable with easily accessible cables. And knowing how the common M1060 replacement cables work would help also. :)

Thanks!

Sorry to reply to myself but looking more closely at the ebay cable replacements it's clear that there is a 'left' and 'right' cable, so in that case tip has to be L/R on each side. Makes more sense now.

I still wonder how the Hifiman cables use that third conductor, but no big deal.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,856 of 8,051
Sorry to reply to myself but looking more closely at the ebay cable replacements it's clear that there is a 'left' and 'right' cable, so in that case tip has to be L/R on each side. Makes more sense now.

I still wonder how the Hifiman cables use that third conductor, but no big deal.
The third connector is not used, sometimes its cheaper for the manufacture to gets what's available.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #4,858 of 8,051
Okay, thanks. For cheap cables to use those connectors, that's neither a big deal or surprising. If the stock Hifiman cables are like that, they should be ashamed. It's not like they are cheap headphones...
I've seen some $400 cables that use a TRS 2.5mm jack, but only utilize TR or TS, its just a matter of where the contact point is, wouldn't think its an issue to ashamed of, more like getting a better bottom line profit

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #4,859 of 8,051
Nice, I ordered the Massdrop ZMF Eikon Sheepskin pads which are sized for Audeze/M1060. Hopefully they have the same effect but I'll give my impressions once I get them sometime in August.

Same. I'm hoping they'll iron out some of the small wrinkles I have with these headphones or maybe accept the fact that these aren't for me. *Blows into dice* Come on lucky 7! I'm also thinking of purchasing Garage 1217 's Ember Project II since I just recently purchased HD650s and see how the M1060's pair with the amp.

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #4,860 of 8,051

Same. I'm hoping they'll iron out some of the small wrinkles I have with these headphones or maybe accept the fact that these aren't for me. *Blows into dice* Come on lucky 7! I'm also thinking of purchasing Garage 1217 's Ember Project II since I just recently purchased HD650s and see how the M1060's pair with the amp.

Same here as well.

I foolishly jumped on the HE-560 for $499 (less 5%) from Amazon. Now I find my m1060s looking uphill.

Wondering if modding will bring them up to near level. Then (of course) I'll get the itch to mod the 560s.

Will the madness never end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back