Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,876 of 8,051
@Phantaminum , I think you will love the Ember with the HD650, unfortunately when I tried the M1060 with my Ember it wasn't what I expecting, a little dull and lifeless, close to having a "veil" but it could also be the M1060 was not within spec since most say their M1060 sound nothing like I described them.

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,877 of 8,051
I just can't enough of the 1060's now that I've swapped out the pads with Audeze leather (yes, not the micro suede) and did the paper towel mod. The difference is truly incredible.
If you have these mods (or even not) slap on some Jazz Pistols, song called "tough stuff" or their title track off their CD "Three on the Floor" to see what these phones can do. Even if you don't like jazz, do yourself a favor and give a listen as I don't believe you'll be disappointed in what you'll hear. Crank it up a tad too :L3000:
The separation, soundstage, the bass and sub-bass is insane. The way the symbols just hang on and go forever is awesome. Just pure audio bliss from a $300 set of cans. Well $400 with pads. I'm now a believer for sure.

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,878 of 8,051
I just can't enough of the 1060's now that I've swapped out the pads with Audeze leather (yes, not the micro suede) and did the paper towel mod. The difference is truly incredible.
If you have these mods (or even not) slap on some Jazz Pistols, song called "tough stuff" or their title track off their CD "Three on the Floor" to see what these phones can do. Even if you don't like jazz, do yourself a favor and give a listen as I don't believe you'll be disappointed in what you'll hear. Crank it up a tad too :L3000:
The separation, soundstage, the bass and sub-bass is insane. The way the symbols just hang on and go forever is awesome. Just pure audio bliss from a $300 set of cans. Well $400 with pads. I'm now a believer for sure.

Before you did the mods did you notice any ringing at 5k?

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4,879 of 8,051
Before you did the mods did you notice any ringing at 5k?

Most definitely, to the point of not wanting to keep them. But I did like them, wanted to love them, but couldn't take that ringing. I EQ'd them quite a bit and it helped, but didn't rid it.
Now, I don't hear it much at all. Every once in a while it'll rear it's ugly head but it's negligible.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #4,880 of 8,051
Actually curious about HE560 vs M1060 with pads because the price isint that far off. (hell i seen the HE560 for $450)

Actually, just a few weeks ago Walmart was selling the HE-560 brand new for $400 (it was posted in the deals thread on here). Pretty solid price for sure.

I gave some comparison impressions earlier in this thread, but I did take my vegan modded M1060's to directly compare against the HE-560 at my local Hifiman dealer. I listened to both extensively on a Moon Audio 430HA dac/amp which should be pretty neutral. I know this goes against what others are saying, but I would personally take my M1060's over the HE-560's at any given price. I also don't know if my M1060's are just very different than @LCMusicLover's pair, but the bass was night and day different between the 2 headphones. My M1060 also never had a 5k ringing problem (stock or modded) and has a ton of bass (which some others didn't find in their pairs). To me, the HE-560 feels like a planar version of HD800 (which I own). They feel quite neutral with maybe a slight tilt toward bright, but are very detailed, resolving, and a bit analytical. I also felt like there was something slightly off about the treble, but not sure exactly what. But the bass on my modded M1060 slams and is much thicker and warmer than the HE-560. While the HE-560 feels closer to HD800, the M1060 feels closer to HD650. So the difference in warmth and bass between HD800 and HD650 is how different HE-560 and M1060 feels.

I actually think the 2 headphones can complement each other well. The M1060 is more of a "fun" headphone. It isn't super detailed or precise to me, and maybe a little loose in the bass, but it is absolutely a joy for high energy, bass emphasized music like hip hop, electronic, and modern pop. It also has a big soundstage with good instrument separation and air that gives it a really big sound. But I would probably prefer to listen to more natural instrument genres on the HE-560 for it's resolution and more neutral tonal balance.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4,881 of 8,051

very cool song, enjoyed it :)

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #4,882 of 8,051
Most definitely, to the point of not wanting to keep them. But I did like them, wanted to love them, but couldn't take that ringing. I EQ'd them quite a bit and it helped, but didn't rid it.
Now, I don't hear it much at all. Every once in a while it'll rear it's ugly head but it's negligible.
Do you think that maybe with time they will burn in more and the 5k ring will go away?

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4,883 of 8,051
Can anyone tell me about the creatology mod (presumably from DMS3TV)? I've looked high and low but there's nothing on it... My M1060s aren't with me at the moment but I plan on modding them the moment I get to my headphones.

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,884 of 8,051
Do you think that maybe with time they will burn in more and the 5k ring will go away?

I'm not quite sure about that but I would think this has something to do with the planars in general and the way they sound. I believe just doing the paper towel mod will help a lot. I'm all thumbs and was concerned to do it. It's so simple and it took me a whole 10 minutes to complete.

Cut (2) 3" diameter circles out from a 2 ply paper towel. I used white Bounty select a size as the thickness looks to be correct. Use the top of a small coffee cup as a stencil. Remove the 4 small screws from tje black outside grill of the cups. Place PT directly over the black felt that covers the drivers. No need to do anything else other then center the PT on the black felt. Put all screws back in and enjoy. That alone will help that 5k ring dramatically.

This is what cskippy posted about 100 pages back and sums it up better then I can.

There really isn't ringing. It might be peaky stock, but mods fix that. The "ringing" is an ortho wall, which exists in all planars to varying degrees. Modded does fix the peaks and reduces the ortho wall some as well.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #4,885 of 8,051
I have been trying for nearly a week to get monoprice to allow me a return for a refund. I will call Newegg and if they won't allow it then it's going to be a chargeback.

In any case I shall avoid them as a brand from this point on. It's a nice case of here's our nice on paper return process but reality says it isn't going to happen.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #4,886 of 8,051
I have been trying for nearly a week to get monoprice to allow me a return for a refund. I will call Newegg and if they won't allow it then it's going to be a chargeback.

In any case I shall avoid them as a brand from this point on. It's a nice case of here's our nice on paper return process but reality says it isn't going to happen.

Wait, did you buy them through Newegg instead of Monoprice directly? What is the advantage of that? And if you are requesting a refund rather than a warranty repair, that does seem like it would be at Newegg's discretion rather than Monoprice?

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #4,887 of 8,051
So I bought the 3D printed adapters from http://ursine.audio/item/d-printed-monolith-m-magnetic-pad-adapters

E4D5n0s.jpg
(ignore the dog hair)

I tried my Dekoni DT lambskin pads on them since they are a bit smaller at 4 inches.

rsrceTf.jpg

The lip is a little shallow for Audeze pads, causing the extra to stick out a little (picture was sent by the seller).

mSzr9kU.jpg

I decided to stretch it over the entire adapter but the magnets dont attach as strong. It takes less force to remove them.

vRKqShQ.jpg

The magnets lines up with the 4 middle screws.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #4,889 of 8,051
Wait, did you buy them through Newegg instead of Monoprice directly? What is the advantage of that? And if you are requesting a refund rather than a warranty repair, that does seem like it would be at Newegg's discretion rather than Monoprice?

There were two advantages, one I already had a Newegg account and also I get %5 cash back with one of my CC there. Monoprice was still the seller, but the transaction was handled though a Newegg account. If I thought it was going to be such an issue I would have used my Amex to order directly from Monoprice and if they didn't honor there own policy I would just do a charge back. Anyways I am %100 done with this brand as there customer support seems nearly non-existent.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4,890 of 8,051
There were two advantages, one I already had a Newegg account and also I get %5 cash back with one of my CC there. Monoprice was still the seller, but the transaction was handled though a Newegg account. If I thought it was going to be such an issue I would have used my Amex to order directly from Monoprice and if they didn't honor there own policy I would just do a charge back. Anyways I am %100 done with this brand as there customer support seems nearly non-existent.

Sorry you had trouble when bought through Newegg, but when buying through Monoprice their support is always great. They can be a little slow at times, but they always make good on what you need in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back