Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #601 of 8,051
Excellent. I have a dac I am perfectly happy with in my Phone. That should take care of that half of things. I am new to amping headphones, but are the 2 amps going to present a significantly different sound signature? I was planning to start cheap with the dac 6x, and upgrade to an NFB12 eventually. Would I be better off starting with the Magni?

I assume you mean the NFB-11? In which case, no, just save a bit and skip over the low tier stuff.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #602 of 8,051
God knows I don't need another pair of headphones after the Sr-007 but boy do the M1060s look sexy at that price! Almost bought them on impulse and had to leave the computer for a few minutes to breathe. Cant wait to hear reviews, and if they sound anything like they look I'm in.

Also very curious as the driver size is the exact same as the Audeze lcd-2, and it looks very very similar. Audeze isnt going to be too happy about this, but hey competition is good for us customers
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #605 of 8,051

Not to worry. The M560 is excluded & though I did a quick review of the excluded items, I did not see the M1060 excluded but when I loaded it into the shopping cart, the discount won't take. I originally was going to wait for reviews BUT my concern is that after the initial 500 units are sold, they will adjust the price upward. They already show $349.99 as the list price on Ebay. Maybe then you will get a 20% discount! If these turn out to be what we are all hoping for, $299.99 is a great price. I have one on the way.

You didn't scroll far enough down the "Products Excluded" list. The numbers start from the bottom up again, as if there's 2 lists. The M560 is in the first list, M1060 was in the second list.

Took me awhile to figure it out :)

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #606 of 8,051

Yes, and we're hoping & praying for no leftover B-stock, returned or refurbed Audeze drivers here in these Monoliths !

Someone already posted a link to the more than probable OEM maker of those drivers and listening impressions were seriously bad at the time.

Going back to knock-offs, Lehmann Black Cube Linear headamp's design has been stolen a zillion times by the Mstage and a lot more on ali(that even say "Lehmann" on the front huh), they're still for sale and are actually better than the original because the former runs a terribly dated OPA2134 opamp when Mstage can run the latest chips such as LME49990.....The chinese excel at bringing prices down, they just don't care for copyrights.

Yes, the 2 links on page #9 in this thread, posts #129 & 132 are what may be the ones referred to ?

I read them originally & reread now again & they are the closest oem parts we see so far, but just not sure, as other parts may be available, but not from alibaba or in O & E E800P. We just don't know, and some other suppliers may be making these drivers. For years, the Audeze-type cups & housing has been on alibaba (wholesale again) from multiple sellers, likely knock-offs, unless one actually is a supplier for brand(s). The prototype E800P price can be ignored, likely that may have just been pulled out of the air to pop their model release.

The VS fellow is active here on HF, he may actually know finer details of the E800P parts, and is a nice fellow. Still, we don't know until M1060 are opened up to see what's in there exactly.

Does anyone know who oem supplies Audeze with their planar magnetic drivers ? That may be the source here possibly for M1060, even if the oem mfr has levels of graded drivers to sell based on QC/QA tolerance variation or actual manufactured differences.

The mystery continues & is interesting.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #607 of 8,051
any word how the 1060 sounds

i really wonder if they are gonna be great, without a sacrifice in bass and mids

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #609 of 8,051
Can't wait to hear all of your guys' impressions on the 1060 tomorrow!

But man, I don't need another pair of open backed headphones...

But they also look soooo good.

Decisions are hard.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #610 of 8,051
  The lack of a restocking fee is so tempting, but I have too many headphones...

No guarantees these sound better than my HD6xx's either =\

I have HD6XX :p I'll let you know in about a week! (I chose the slowest/cheapest 1060 shipping)

I also have an XLR cable for my HD600/6XX, and hope to get one for 1060 eventually.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #611 of 8,051

Does anyone know who oem supplies Audeze with their planar magnetic drivers ? That may be the source here possibly for M1060, even if the oem mfr has levels of graded drivers to sell based on QC/QA tolerance variation or actual manufactured differences.

The mystery continues & is interesting.

Audeze is their own oem. All Audeze drivers are made in California. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #612 of 8,051
Thanks, good info. Then to wonder if Audeze themselves might supply A quality or contracted other level drivers to monoprice. It may seem doubtful for them to do so, but,at the price level it may not compete with their expensive large diaphragm line; almost like a company liaison with another company paralleled to initiate an entry line - done very often in USA with all kinds of goods. Good discussion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back