Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #587 of 8,051
Are they an authorized reseller? (yes because either is monoprice amazon store) if it does not say sold by monoprice or Amazon officially then back away and message the seller or just don't. Not getting a warranty is ****ed. Not worth saving $3

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #591 of 8,051
Joining the hype train...I hate to say it, but Zeo's review of the 560's sold me on trying the 1060's out.

I'm either going to love or hate how they look, but what does it matter, I'll never use these anywhere other than in the house.  Here's to hoping they rock!

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #592 of 8,051
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #593 of 8,051
  Take a look at this list and look at where the M560 is sitting at. - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oecSrbvB7mKK3ufR_tJG8Qm5XRF2X9Y8lgNRNIC8n1s/edit#gid=0

I'd take that list with a grain of salt. The m40x is "destroyed" by other, similarly priced cans? (Mine cost $80 new) First I've heard of this. (and I do a LOT of research)

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #595 of 8,051

I'd take that list with a grain of salt. The m40x is "destroyed" by other, similarly priced cans? (Mine cost $80 new) First I've heard of this. (and I do a LOT of research)

I know the people who made that list, one of them has 40+ cans and almost all of the totl cans. List is ok. However, as listening is subjective, you should always make sure you demo things when possible, you may not like the same things as everyone else. 

EDIT: Note, that list is also about to undergo changes, there are a lot of new cans that are going to be added soon, M1060, ZMF Eikon and Att, Cleer NX to name a few. Some of them may change the rankings a bit.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #596 of 8,051
 However, as listening is subjective, you should always make sure you demo things when possible, you may not like the same things as everyone else. 

Hence why "grain of salt". I'd love to know which $80 cans "destroy" the m40x so I can buy them and toss out my existing m40x.

Back on topic, I'm really excited about the new Mono headphones, as these would be my first entry into planar. Would be pairing them with either Geek Out 2A Infinity and/or the Valhalla 2 (?). Gotta wait for the reviews though!

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #599 of 8,051
That's 910 mW at 62 ohm.  You should be good, at least volume wise.

Excellent. I have a dac I am perfectly happy with in my Phone. That should take care of that half of things. I am new to amping headphones, but are the 2 amps going to present a significantly different sound signature? I was planning to start cheap with the dac 6x, and upgrade to an NFB12 eventually. Would I be better off starting with the Magni?

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #600 of 8,051
I like it, I'm using it to drive my JBL Studio 530's and the headphones I mentioned. Not really able to A/B it with my previous Teac AI-301DA (for sale!) for speakers but for my headphones it definitely packs more of a punch in the bass compared to my magni 2u and the teac (planars love the extra power). Looking forward to putting the jumpers on it with the M1060 since it looks like this thing can handle all the extra power that gives you (speaker outputs go to the headphone output).

I just wish it had a pre-out instead of a looped output so I could control my sub better. Right now I just set the volume pot on both the sub and amp to be equal to my ears and then control the volume with my pc. Also annoying is the fact that I have to turn off my sub when plugging in headphones. Not a deal-breaker for sure as this thing is powerful and has a very black background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back