Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #7,756 of 8,051
So I got the 4xx today. I'm willing to do a comparison with the M560s if anyone is interested, but I will be waiting until after my new amp comes in. Shouldn't be more than a few days.

I have a pair of M1060 on loan from a friend and have started comparing it to my long-time HiFiMAN HE-500. The HE-500 are better, but there is a real question of value, especially for non-hobbyists who just need head phones to listen to. More to come...

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #7,758 of 8,051
I like the M1060 with stock cable more than my Sennheiser 6xx with balanced cable. It sounds more open and probably more even across the frequency spectrum. Bass is also better despite being less prominent.
Quite a coincidence, I'm currently doing the exact same comparison. The only difference being, I'm using balanced cables for both. The M1060s are showing a higher gain, up top, which (I think) is more of a testament to the Sennheiser's reputation for being "veiled".

For my tastes, I'll be leaving the M1060s on my Monolith THX 788 (via balanced) and the HD6xx to my Audio-GD R2R 11 --> Darkvoice amp

The big question for me, will be: do I keep the HD6xx "rig". As doing a head to head has really highlighted the clamp force of the Sennheiser's on my large noggin.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #7,759 of 8,051
I just posted my thoughts about the M1060 in HeadGear (a "photoless" review).

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #7,760 of 8,051
I just wanted to comment here that this thread has helped me a lot. I've owned the 1060's for a year, but I didn't touch them. However, I decided to get into mods, and the first thing I did was just remove the foam from the grill side, and that has already made them so much better to my ears!

I'm next going to find a 3D printing service for the fazor mod (on pad and grill sides), buy some new pads (likely the Vesper pads), and put some thin speaker cloth under the honeycomb grill.

If anyone knows of a 3D printing service that is good quality and fair in price (and is open to taking orders), please let me know!

Thanks to all who have posted here to help me with my journey!!

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #7,761 of 8,051
Has anyone else had issues with the screws connecting the metal headband to the half-circle brackets that connect to the ear cups? My right one keeps loosening over time. I use a hex drill bit to tighten it since the design of the headphone does not allow access with a standard screw driver.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #7,762 of 8,051
Has anyone else had issues with the screws connecting the metal headband to the half-circle brackets that connect to the ear cups? My right one keeps loosening over time. I use a hex drill bit to tighten it since the design of the headphone does not allow access with a standard screw driver.

Try taking the screw out all the way, putting a drop of white glue on it, then putting the screw back in. The white glue will hold enough to keep the screw from loosening by itself, but will not be strong enough to prevent you from removing the screw on purpose if you want to.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #7,763 of 8,051
D86EA209-4B3B-4C45-8AF0-25AAF8A611F4.jpeg Basic measurement using daytonaudio imm6 with calibration file in AudioTools app. Still learning proper technique.

M1060 2.5mm
Brainwavez MicroSuede pads
Swapped out stock foam with a better quality foam, similar density.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #7,764 of 8,051
I just wanted to comment here that this thread has helped me a lot. I've owned the 1060's for a year, but I didn't touch them. However, I decided to get into mods, and the first thing I did was just remove the foam from the grill side, and that has already made them so much better to my ears!

I'm next going to find a 3D printing service for the fazor mod (on pad and grill sides), buy some new pads (likely the Vesper pads), and put some thin speaker cloth under the honeycomb grill.

If anyone knows of a 3D printing service that is good quality and fair in price (and is open to taking orders), please let me know!

Thanks to all who have posted here to help me with my journey!!
swear there was a poster here who was selling them. He had designs and you could buy them and or the finished product.

Yes, he posted in my mod thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/m1060-mod.898962/

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #7,765 of 8,051
Just a peek at my modded m1060's
- Fuzzor Mod

- ZMF Lambskin Pads

- ZMF Alcantara headband

- 3d printed mesh grills

AqaMdwx
https://imgur.com/gallery/AqaMdwx

Using paper towel cutout for dampening foam behind grill anyone have any advice on a better material. also im interesting in how sound differs with the fazzor mod on the rear of the driver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back