Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 12, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #7,786 of 8,051
I don't know why everyone is talking great things about Sonarworks. IMO I feel like they make perfectly good headphones sound so boring and veiled and in some cases, just completely screws with the sound stage. I know with the M1060, some still complain about 5K ringing but I've been able to remedy that with a pad swap and Rubber coated grills and if i'm super picky, tweak the EQ slightly. Quick disclaimer: I'm not a professional when it comes to mastering but I do have a little bit of a sound engineering background and I do have several people I know who do actually do it as a profession. The headphones i will generally use for mastering are the following: LCD-X, HD600 (& recently started using 660S), and my good ol' trusty CD900ST. Maybe I'm used to these headphones but I haven't had the need for Sonarworks to further help with my mastering, in fact, I've actually made things sound worse but I think that could also be due to the fact that I know the sound signatures of the headphones i use on a daily basis. So as you can tell, not a fan. On the other hand, my opinion on Sonarworks with speakers do a 180. Even in a well treated room with good hardware, I loved the fact that the software treats each speaker separately and takes into consideration the acoustics of the room. So I started off being a huge fan of Sonarworks for speakers and when they started doing headphones, I just felt like they were royally screwing some headphones by making it "flat" because now it sounded so boring and I just couldn't master well any of the headphones I had with their profile settings.

Apr 12, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #7,787 of 8,051
I don't know why everyone is talking great things about Sonarworks. IMO I feel like they make perfectly good headphones sound so boring and veiled and in some cases, just completely screws with the sound stage. I know with the M1060, some still complain about 5K ringing but I've been able to remedy that with a pad swap and Rubber coated grills and if i'm super picky, tweak the EQ slightly. Quick disclaimer: I'm not a professional when it comes to mastering but I do have a little bit of a sound engineering background and I do have several people I know who do actually do it as a profession. The headphones i will generally use for mastering are the following: LCD-X, HD600 (& recently started using 660S), and my good ol' trusty CD900ST. Maybe I'm used to these headphones but I haven't had the need for Sonarworks to further help with my mastering, in fact, I've actually made things sound worse but I think that could also be due to the fact that I know the sound signatures of the headphones i use on a daily basis. So as you can tell, not a fan. On the other hand, my opinion on Sonarworks with speakers do a 180. Even in a well treated room with good hardware, I loved the fact that the software treats each speaker separately and takes into consideration the acoustics of the room. So I started off being a huge fan of Sonarworks for speakers and when they started doing headphones, I just felt like they were royally screwing some headphones by making it "flat" because now it sounded so boring and I just couldn't master well any of the headphones I had with their profile settings.
I just gave it another shot i didnt like it

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #7,788 of 8,051
Did you try experimenting with bass and tilt? I do a mild U with +3 on both and it’s great imo. If you see a few posts back I have no real issues with the 5khz area either. Sonarworks is a great tool and it took me a few days to adjust to the sound but I definitely do not think it’s a boring sound. Which goes back to everyone has an opinion and as long as we the individual dig the music that’s all that matters.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #7,789 of 8,051
Did you try experimenting with bass and tilt? I do a mild U with +3 on both and it’s great imo. If you see a few posts back I have no real issues with the 5khz area either. Sonarworks is a great tool and it took me a few days to adjust to the sound but I definitely do not think it’s a boring sound. Which goes back to everyone has an opinion and as long as we the individual dig the music that’s all that matters.

Also, play with the Dry/Wet dial.

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/tutorials/studio-edition-manual

The Dry / Wet control lets you adjust the level of correction applied to the audio signal.
Normally this should be set to 100% wet to ensure that the calibration is accurate.
If you feel that the correction is too drastic for your needs, tweak this to your liking, but keep in mind that the calibration will get increasingly less accurate.
Note that this is not a typical Dry / Wet mixer - the knob controls the “depth” of the correction.
The core signal is always Wet, but the correction amount can be dynamically adjusted.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #7,791 of 8,051
What kind of eq config are you running I have tried the ones they have for the m1060 on AutoEq on GitHub with both HeSuVi, EqualizerAPO, and Peace. I found the best results to be in HeSuVi which is meant for surround sound virtualization but has implemented all of AutoEq's recommended Eq configs. so all you have to do is select the eq for your headphone and turn on crossfeed. Other than the GUI being a little weird and most of the settings being prioritized for surround sound it is the best eq I have found so far. The other software is just as good for using the eq's measured and tested by auto eq but I found HeSuVi to be the easiest.
Heres the GitHub link if anyone wants to check it out. I'm sure it's been mentioned on here so where prior but I'm not sure.
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #7,792 of 8,051
I guess I should clarify. Sonarwork's flat EQ setting is what i'm saying is making almost every headphone I have boring. I have messed around with Bass and tilt but Haven't had the need to use it with the m1060 for my preference. My HD600's on the other hand I'll probably do a 3-4 boost. @audisteezer , I don't really mess with EQ much. I've actually never heard of HeSuVi or Peace. For me, the enjoyment comes from finding a set of headphones I like stock and then figuring out what amp pairs well. I think I have like 10 pairs of headphones right now (not counting IEMs), 15 Amps (6 portable and 9 desktop size) and 3 DAPs. I could mess around with EQ but I feel like that's forcing your headphone to do something it's not designed to do and when you switch amps, that same setting isn't going to give you the same sound so it kinda complicates things for me. I don't want to meet someone and force onto them my hobbies so I can like them more but rather getting to know them and know when I would enjoy them the most depending on the situation.. (is my cheezy analogy). I do enjoy my m1060 and was pretty fantastic when it came out for the price. If I was to buy one now, I would probably advise myself to save a extra hundred or two more to get something that would way better. In fact last december was when I finally had to replace my m1060 v1 because my mmcx connector screwed up finally. I was cable swapping between my stock, TIn T2 cable, RHA cable, and Dita Truth cable and before the cable went bad, the connector on my m1060 went bad finally. Pretty happy with monoprice's crazy warranty :)

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #7,793 of 8,051
I guess I should clarify. Sonarwork's flat EQ setting is what i'm saying is making almost every headphone I have boring. I have messed around with Bass and tilt but Haven't had the need to use it with the m1060 for my preference. My HD600's on the other hand I'll probably do a 3-4 boost. @audisteezer , I don't really mess with EQ much. I've actually never heard of HeSuVi or Peace. For me, the enjoyment comes from finding a set of headphones I like stock and then figuring out what amp pairs well. I think I have like 10 pairs of headphones right now (not counting IEMs), 15 Amps (6 portable and 9 desktop size) and 3 DAPs. I could mess around with EQ but I feel like that's forcing your headphone to do something it's not designed to do and when you switch amps, that same setting isn't going to give you the same sound so it kinda complicates things for me. I don't want to meet someone and force onto them my hobbies so I can like them more but rather getting to know them and know when I would enjoy them the most depending on the situation.. (is my cheezy analogy). I do enjoy my m1060 and was pretty fantastic when it came out for the price. If I was to buy one now, I would probably advise myself to save a extra hundred or two more to get something that would way better. In fact last december was when I finally had to replace my m1060 v1 because my mmcx connector screwed up finally. I was cable swapping between my stock, TIn T2 cable, RHA cable, and Dita Truth cable and before the cable went bad, the connector on my m1060 went bad finally. Pretty happy with monoprice's crazy warranty :)
I agree with you on the eq using i just have been on a mission to attempt to improve the sound with eq which I have not done I love the m1060's as they are but im always trying to see ways to improve them i multiple a few pairs of headphones and iems as of rn. i do really enjoy the m1060's. I really liked the analogy that was really well put.

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #7,794 of 8,051
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #7,796 of 8,051
I compared the Koss ESP/95X to the M1060 in the Koss thread. Should I link it or copy/paste it here?
That’d be great if you’d link it.

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #7,799 of 8,051
My headband snapped and I want to buy a new one. What are the best replacements I can get for M1060?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back