Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 9, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #7,741 of 8,051
Well, after receiving the 3d printed plates and the Brainwavz pads I order, I preformed a padswap on my M560s. Soundstage gets a little bit bigger, and the highs are brought back just a little, but overall sound signature stays the same. Compared to my 58x Jubilees, the M560s still sound rather "honky" and hollow in the midrange, lack the bass impact that I wanted from planars, and the treble is still a bit too bright for me. I don't want to spend any more money trying to "fix" them, so I think, unfortunately, I will be returning my M560s, and getting the HE4xx instead.
What kinda plates did you have printed and can you post a picture of them? Also what brainwavz pads did you get for the m560? I have some decent bass with mine with the zmf oval sheepskins. Also did you burn them in, to be honest I like my m560 more then my he4xx's even after putting zmf suede ori's on them and taking the felt off the metal screen on my he4xx.

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #7,742 of 8,051
Finally happy with my M1060s: Dekoni Elite Velour pads, honeycomb back plates, stock foam on the outside
&
The Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788. Using the PEQ to do a boost @100hz ,2.0 db and a cut of 1.5 db @5K; Q value of .8 for both.

Originally I was using an Audio-GD R2R-11 --> Monoprice 31 band EQ. But the EQ was a little too big for my desktop and the amount of cables going back and forth between the two pieces (being next to my monitor) always had me concerned.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #7,743 of 8,051
You do you for sure but I wouldn’t ever call m1060 in your face. It’s a flat line up till around 2khz then a 5/10db gradual dip then pretty well even. Mine do not have the 5k spike. Only thing I’d do is swap to microsuede pads at $24. That’s it. You won’t get planar bass with 4xx I don’t think but I don’t own them.

I’ll direct compare my m1060 with my m560 next week and can give more into what the differences are. Both will have the micro suede pads

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #7,744 of 8,051
What kinda plates did you have printed and can you post a picture of them? Also what brainwavz pads did you get for the m560? I have some decent bass with mine with the zmf oval sheepskins. Also did you burn them in, to be honest I like my m560 more then my he4xx's even after putting zmf suede ori's on them and taking the felt off the metal screen on my he4xx.

I got the angled Brainwavz HM5 pleathers. I was going to get the suedes, but I heard that suede pads often increase treble, while the pleather increase bass. Also, the plates I had printed are made of PLA and look like this:
20190309_204739.jpg

I forgot to get them in black. :V

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #7,745 of 8,051
To clarify, I'm not looking for bass canons, I have M100s for that. I just wanted to experience the "planar bass" that everyone talks about, but the M560s are rather flat in the low end compared to what I expected. I am considering M1060s, but they cost more than the M560s and the HE4xx and I don't want to have to spend even more money on mods. The 4xx seems like a safer buy considering the 1060s QC issues, 5k ring, etc... and the reviews I've read giving the 4xx a more neutral, pleasant and laid back sound rather than the forward, exciting and in-your-face 1060s. I just want good, cheap planars that I'm not required to mod after buying. Is the M1060s sound signature extremely different from the M560s? Reviews seem rather polarized. I'm a college student, so I'm not exactly made of time and money, so I'm leery of spending $300 on a pair of headphones, and another $100-$150 "fixing" them with mods. I could get the 4xx and a killer amp for that money.
I Have the m1060s and the M565 and on the M1060s I have the stock pads. I did a recent thread with the mods I did. Take off the outer grills and remove the foam. Dampen the the metal. I used dynamat, but you could spend $5 on blutack or rope caulk and have an amazing headphone. I have the 2nd edition and no 5k issues or connector issues. It just sounds sweet and has that big planar bass. If you wanted you wouldnt even need to spend the $5. Listening to them now without the grills foam or dynamat these are amazing cans. and do bass really well.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #7,746 of 8,051
I got the angled Brainwavz HM5 pleathers. I was going to get the suedes, but I heard that suede pads often increase treble, while the pleather increase bass. Also, the plates I had printed are made of PLA and look like this:

I forgot to get them in black. :V

Did you design that. I was looking for something like that and gave up.

That’s awesome.

After switching out my pads I got a lot more bass out my m560’s. The pleathers seem to give me less bass then my sheepskin. I never got the honky sound out them as described.

If your looking for planar bass, nothing beats Argons that I have heard.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #7,747 of 8,051
Did you design that. I was looking for something like that and gave up.

That’s awesome.

After switching out my pads I got a lot more bass out my m560’s. The pleathers seem to give me less bass then my sheepskin. I never got the honky sound out them as described.

If your looking for planar bass, nothing beats Argons that I have heard.

I've heard good things about the Argons in terms of bass and soundstage. Also I didn't design the plates, I got them on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3184194

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #7,748 of 8,051
The HE4XX will definitely not get you the bass impact you're looking for. You would be better off catching a used set of Monolith M1060 for sale, which can regularly be had for under $200. Or saving a little bit more and buying a set of Verum 1's either used now or new later when they come off of backorder.
Look into the m565, they punch harder on the bass than the m560 and is more polite in the treble. Plus if you purchase the shure1540 pads, the bass will pound even more without mid-range sacrifice
Tony

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #7,749 of 8,051
Look into the m565, they punch harder on the bass than the m560 and is more polite in the treble. Plus if you purchase the shure1540 pads, the bass will pound even more without mid-range sacrifice
Tony
maybe @Cruelhand Luke can chime in. Thought he also has the Argons and can compare the M565 bass to the Argons. Either that or I misremembered things...

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #7,751 of 8,051
As an update, I had my dad try the M560s to see if I'm not crazy. He absolutely loved them, and offered to buy them off of me after I said I was going to return them. I guess he can't hear as much of the high frequencies anymore, or maybe I really am just crazy. :V

Anyway, I decided that the M560s deserved a loving owner, even if they weren't to my preference, simply because of how well made they are for the price. Since I'm technically getting my money back anyway, and I can still try the M560s pretty much whenever I want, now I just need to decide what to get as replacements. I would like to thank everyone here for their input and advice over the past week, even if they didn't manage to convince me to keep them. Just know that my pair is still in good hands.

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #7,752 of 8,051
As an update, I had my dad try the M560s to see if I'm not crazy. He absolutely loved them, and offered to buy them off of me after I said I was going to return them. I guess he can't hear as much of the high frequencies anymore, or maybe I really am just crazy. :V

Anyway, I decided that the M560s deserved a loving owner, even if they weren't to my preference, simply because of how well made they are for the price. Since I'm technically getting my money back anyway, and I can still try the M560s pretty much whenever I want, now I just need to decide what to get as replacements. I would like to thank everyone here for their input and advice over the past week, even if they didn't manage to convince me to keep them. Just know that my pair is still in good hands.

That’s great it worked out like that. Best option there could of been. Hope your next set is a hit for you.

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #7,754 of 8,051
So I got the 4xx today. I'm willing to do a comparison with the M560s if anyone is interested, but I will be waiting until after my new amp comes in. Shouldn't be more than a few days.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #7,755 of 8,051
Finally got my balanced cables from Periapt; took them 15 days to ship. When connected to my Monolith THX 788, I can say that I'm finally content with my M1060s.
As good as the SE is (with the Monoprice braided cable), going to the balanced connection adds a a touch of depth/richness and width.

I'm not a purist, so I added a little bump at 100hz and took a little off the top (at 5K), thanks to the built in PEQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back