mini review/ JVC HA-D990
Nov 29, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 24
I wondered since quite a few people are getting the jvcs, if we should do a poll regarding them sometime next week? The obvious first question would be, do you like them? Another could be, are they better or worse than than your current phones? I never tried to post a poll, and I am not sure how, so what does the membership think?
I am intrested in what questions you want the poll to answer, so throw your suggestions out there when you reply.

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 24
I decided to start a seperate thread about doing a poll; so if you want to respond about that, please go to the new post. I hope to hear from you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #18 of 24
Man, the more I read about these the more I want to hear and and pray that they do indeed sound better than the V6s!!! I for one was glad for these posts by sacd lover!!! thanks for the heads up!!!!!!

Nov 29, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 24
sacd lover
Thanks for the review. That you like the "upfront" (some would say "bright") sound of modern Grados is taken under advisement.

I do hope these end up being preferrable across the board to the V6. It would be nice for me to be able to recommend a phone that's going for one third the price of the V6 to newbies.

I consider it sacriledge that you people would destroy a perfectly good 1/4" connector to solder on a 1/8" connector. What would Freud say.

puppsyslugg
Have you actually called Sennheiser and asked specifically about the connectors? Surely someone there can help you out.

Nov 29, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 24
kelly wrote:
Quote:

sacd loverThanks for the review. That you like the "upfront" (some would say "bright") sound of modern Grados is taken under advisement.

I do hope these end up being preferrable across the board to the V6. It would be nice for me to be able to recommend a phone that's going for one third the price of the V6 to newbies.

Too late to add the JVC D990's to the 'closed headphone shootout'?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I consider it sacriledge that you people would destroy a perfectly good 1/4" connector to solder on a 1/8" connector. What would Freud say.

Aww....screw him! What does Freud know about headphones, anyway?
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

puppsyslugg
Have you actually called Sennheiser and asked specifically about the connectors? Surely someone there can help you out.

No, I haven't. I thought I read in a thread, that Senn. wouldn't supply the connectors. But I'll contact Senn. and check it. I doubt that someone here hasn't already thought about replacing the cables way before Clou, Cardas, etc.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 24
ok, i read that the JVC's can't use the beyer pads since the enclosures are too big.

Can anyone compare the comfort level of the JVC's with stock pads and the Sony v6 with beyer pads?

After sound, comfort is the biggest issue for me.

I love my grados, but i always wanted v6's for the comfort and isolation.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 24
I had some of those I bought on clearance from soundcity.  They were only like $60 and I wish I had bought more pairs.   There were on Stereophiles recommended list and I can see why.  Mine eventually fell apart after 6 years of use.  I also have some mdr-v6's (japanese ver) which are okay sounding and some Grado SR80's which sound superb.  The big issue with the grados is that they're open air and leak sound in.  The JVC's sounded superb (different from the grados and far better than the sonys) but they also isolated well.    I also bought some Sennheiser hd 485's while at J&R and they were garbage.

Do you know of any new old stock jvc 990's?

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #23 of 24
I too have been using these headphones (since the early '90's), and need a source for new or compatible pads. They completely outperform my Grado SR125i's, being balanced, refined and transparent throughout its frequency range.

The OP stated that they were rated Class-C, but I remember them being rated Class-B (second highest), which helped to influenced my decision to purchase them.

The downfall of the design is that it doesn't fit and seal properly on many peoples heads, so much so that I can only wear them successfully with a certain hat that I own! That and the fact that they are only comfortable enough to wear for a couple of consecutive record plays makes them tough to live with.

But their sound quality has made me stick with them regardless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back