Mini-Review: digiZoid ZO "portable subwoofer"
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #61 of 996
Found Maxx Bass paper... it seems more complicated than just odd order harmonics amplification...

I upload it here... http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6jy7c

the referenced figures on the paper are onl the last pages, instead of inline with the text

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #64 of 996
I bought a ZO out of curiosity and to do some testing with my hoard of earbuds and IEMs.   I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is not a toy, but a rather sophisticated audio device that delivers what it promises.  It does provide quite a sense of realism when the proper level of enhancement is selected. 

Given the modest cost, I can't think of any audio device even close that provides a more satisfying listening experience.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #65 of 996

Quote:
I bought a ZO out of curiosity and to do some testing with my hoard of earbuds and IEMs.   I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is not a toy, but a rather sophisticated audio device that delivers what it promises.  It does provide quite a sense of realism when the proper level of enhancement is selected. 

Given the modest cost, I can't think of any audio device even close that provides a more satisfying listening experience.

Interesting.  So exactly how transparent is this device?  I would be concerned about increased warmth or veil transposed over my source.  I love my DACPort in most ways and very little out there meets its resolution and packaging but I want a bit more bass presence, punch, impact and slam.  But not at the cost of losing any detail or resolution.  Can the ZO deliver?

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #66 of 996
I'm considering a ZO as an intermediary device, USB->ZO->UHA4 since there's no DAC in the ZO. Specs indicate it should at least function.  But there's no good way of knowing what's going to happen to SQ.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #67 of 996

Quote:
The JVC HA-FX700's sound great with the ZO.  Their synergy is really good; much better than the Pannys.  Pinoyman you are going to be in for a treat!

Quote:

Sounds awesome, was almost about to place an order after reading this.  But held back, just a bit, lol.

Actually, when using the ZO, do you guys feel like the whole sound spectrum in generally is elevated positively (as opposed to just the bass regions)? 

Sorry if my wording is confusing, but I guess what I'm kind of asking is, do you guys feel like it acts pretty much like and IS a standalone portable amp, where it amplifies and boosts everything (the sound quality) as a whole, with just more flavor or emphasis on the bass region and not just a one trick pony/bass booster device-gadget-toy (which I think what a lot of people assume or associate/view the product as) ... ?

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #68 of 996

Quote:
  Sounds awesome, was almost about to place an order after reading this.  But held back, just a bit, lol.

Actually, when using the ZO, do you guys feel like the whole sound spectrum in generally is elevated positively (as opposed to just the bass regions)? 

Sorry if my wording is confusing, but I guess what I'm kind of asking is, do you guys feel like it acts pretty much like and IS a standalone portable amp, where it amplifies and boosts everything (the sound quality) as a whole, with just more flavor or emphasis on the bass region and not just a one trick pony/bass booster device-gadget-toy (which I think what a lot of people assume or associate/view the product as) ... ?

It amps the whole spectrum.  If left on it's lowest setting it amps everything equally.  Then as you move the rocker switch, it gradually ads more bass.  I have no idea how much gain it is applying but it works great for IEM's.  Someone earlier mentioned it did great with their full size Grados.  For some phones it doesn't take much, maybe 2 or 3 clicks and you've added all the bass you could want, then with others you can add considerably more before it becomes too much.  There are supposed to be 32 steps.  I can't imagine ever coming close to using all 32.  Like I've mentioned before, the best part is you can adjusted easily for each individual song.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #69 of 996

Hi all,

As an engineer with digiZoid, I am intrigued by the commentary and discussion in this thread regarding the "impossibility" of the technology and other points regarding the ZO.  There seems to be quite a bit of debate over exactly how it's able to do what is advertised.  Obviously I can't reveal the secret ingredients, but I can say this: the ZO does not technically "add" bass, for example if a track is devoid of low frequencies in the first place, the ZO does not create them.  Rather, it increases the efficiency of the speaker, and moves the 3dB cutoff down.  It enables the speaker to reproduce the low frequencies that are already in the audio track.  Below is a frequency response plot that will give you guys a better idea of what's happening (note the 28Hz shift in 3dB cutoff):

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #72 of 996

Quote:
I almost forgot to mention in my last post that the Headphone + ZO response was measured on ZO's highest bass contour setting...

Well however you do it, it's pretty sweet and I'm pleasantly surprised. It took me months and months to find what I have been looking for. No other amp increases bass in steps, rather they all just use a switch so the bass is not enough, or too much for the headphones. Can't wait for the second ZO to come out later this year. I just don't understand why this thing hasn't blown up yet and gotten very popular, especially on head-fi... there isn't much out there like it. It deserves more attention than what it gets in my opinion.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #73 of 996

Quote:
My guess is that it's not simply an EQ, it probably add subharmonics to boost the bass.

I would just like to point out, that even though this is how some others achieve their bass, if you look at our tech specs:

1. THD: <0.003%
  2. Max Power Output: 840 mW @ 25 ohms (per channel)
  3. Input Impedance: 15 kohms
  4. Output Impedance: 0.2 ohms

If we did use subharmonics, our THD would not be less than .003%...  Just a friendly FYI.  
redface.gif

Quote:
Well however you do it, it's pretty sweet and I'm pleasantly surprised. It took me months and months to find what I have been looking for. No other amp increases bass in steps, rather they all just use a switch so the bass is not enough, or too much for the headphones. Can't wait for the second ZO to come out later this year. I just don't understand why this thing hasn't blown up yet and gotten very popular, especially on head-fi... there isn't much out there like it. It deserves more attention than what it gets in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words.  This project has taken us many years to work out, so any and all positive feedback is both encouraging and appreciated.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back