Mini-Review: digiZoid ZO "portable subwoofer"
Apr 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #76 of 996

Quote:
If you raise the gain to match pre-EQ volume levels it will distort. Fine, I get it, you don't like amps with bass boost. Noted.

Edit: This will be my last comment on this as Internet/forum arguing is pointless and self serving; and this one is full of condescension. EQ'ing isn't rocket science.

EQ'ing has it place. I used it successfully to fix the mid bass bleeding of the W3, as it was something that pervaded every song. The ZO has its place as well. When you are mobile and want varying levels of bass boost for different songs, due to the way they were recorded or mastered, the ZO is unbeatable. It is impractical to EQ for each song but it is easy and convenient to amp your phones current sound signature, adding just a bit more bass as you want it, when you want it.

I had wanted to add my own review and impressions with the ZO to this thread but I have no desire to continue arguing over the benefits of parametric EQ vs harware boost.

I'm not trying to be condescending--I'm trying to explain why EQ is likely a better option for people who want to retain accuracy and balance, and I'm also trying to help you understand that you're probably doing it wrong--that's why there's distortion. If you post the EQ curve you have created, maybe I can help you troubleshoot what it is you're doing wrong. In all the years I have been using EQ in pro audio productions, I have never once created unwanted distortion. I don't even understand why you'd want to screw up the gain staging by raising the overall gain. If you are cutting, then you are simply cutting frequencies that are too prominent, and if you are boosting, then there's even less reason to mess with the gain. So I just don't see why you'd want to cause distortion by messing with the gain. Also, when you overload the sound with too much gain, that is not the fault of the EQ--that is you destroying proper gain staging of your audio signal chain. It's like blasting the volume of your stereo until there's severe distortion from the speakers, then blaming the stereo for causing the distortion.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #77 of 996
^^^wow...
that should clear up most speculations about this gear.
thanks for the zo officer here.

its really an interesting gear.
i should received mine in a day or two.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #78 of 996
I'd still like a competent answer about transparency on the ZO from someone.  I'm definitely not going to add anything between my DACPort and ES5 that would take anything away.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #79 of 996
Transparency is hard one for me to describe or define but I’ll give it a try.  To me transparency goes hand in hand with coloration.  If you are not coloring the music, then you transparently reproducing it as it was recorded, so this is framework with which I’ll try to answer your question.

In the first, or bottom, step of the ZO, I hear only the amplification of the entire spectrum.  At the lower settings, instruments are more defined and music is fuller, and as you move up the steps, as Project86 said, it sounds like the drums and bass are being played harder. Depending on the phone, the recording and a combination of both will determine how many steps of boost I can add before I start to hear added warmth creeping into the sound.   For instance, in general I can add many more steps to my W4’s than I can my JVC’s FX700’s or Panasonic HJE900’s.  I do not know if this is a byproduct of how BA’s reproduce bass versus DD, my ears or just coincidence.

At some point in adding steps of bass, the sound is going to warm up and become to thick sounding.  So is it transparent?  I think so in the lower steps but it can vary song to song.  I may lower it for one song and raise it considerably for another but I do not necessarily need to change it on every song.  At no point is it adding noise or distortion but you can only add so much bass presence to a song before it starts to detract instead of adding realism.

I don’t know if I answered your question or not. I feel like I just danced around it. Transparency and what this device does are difficult for me to articulate. It is a clean sounding device. Suffice to say it has greatly added to my enjoyment of music with my phones.

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #80 of 996

Quote:
Transparency is hard one for me to describe or define but I’ll give it a try.  To me transparency goes hand in hand with coloration.  If you are not coloring the music, then you transparently reproducing it as it was recorded, so this is framework with which I’ll try to answer your question.

In the first, or bottom, step of the ZO, I hear only the amplification of the entire spectrum.  At the lower settings, instruments are more defined and music is fuller, and as you move up the steps, as Project86 said, it sounds like the drums and bass are being played harder. Depending on the phone, the recording and a combination of both will determine how many steps of boost I can add before I start to hear added warmth creeping into the sound.   For instance, in general I can add many more steps to my W4’s than I can my JVC’s FX700’s or Panasonic HJE900’s.  I do not know if this is a byproduct of how BA’s reproduce bass versus DD, my ears or just coincidence.

At some point in adding steps of bass, the sound is going to warm up and become to thick sounding.  So is it transparent?  I think so in the lower steps but it can vary song to song.  I may lower it for one song and raise it considerably for another but I do not necessarily need to change it on every song.  At no point is it adding noise or distortion but you can only add so much bass presence to a song before it starts to detract instead of adding realism.

I don’t know if I answered your question or not. I feel like I just danced around it. Transparency and what this device does are difficult for me to articulate. It is a clean sounding device. Suffice to say it has greatly added to my enjoyment of music with my phones.

Thx I appreciate it.  To simplify my question, at the very lowest 'on' setting does the music (detail, clarity, etc) sound basically identical to the source w/o the ZO?  I think your answer is sort of yes?  Exception being a hint of bass enhancement perhaps?

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #82 of 996
I'm getting scarily close to trying one out and pre-amping my DACPort into it.  0.2 ohms output impedance would be nice w/ my ES5.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #85 of 996

Quote:
I'm getting scarily close to trying one out and pre-amping my DACPort into it.  0.2 ohms output impedance would be nice w/ my ES5.

I would definitely do it if I were you. Head-fi needs some feedback from an experienced member like yourself on this device. There really is no other bass boosting amp like it. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at it's ability.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #86 of 996

Quote:
I would definitely do it if I were you. Head-fi needs some feedback from an experienced member like yourself on this device. There really is no other bass boosting amp like it. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at it's ability.

I appreciate that but Hiflight and some others here are incredibly qualified.  The fact that Hiflight takes it seriously really made me take notice.  Once we finish off the San Diego meet and I plow through the universals I have on loan I'll certainly consider it.  I know the makers don't want to give anything away I'm just wary of anything that might be like BBE, Media Xpander or Crystallizer.  I guess I just need to hear it.  

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #87 of 996
I's still like to know how it works though, apparently, it's not EQ or adding subharmonics, and a short search on psophometric filtering brings next to nothing.
Of course, I'm not asking for an extremely detailed explanation, a general overview of the principle would be satisfy my curiosity and that of many forumers here.

I'm a bit surprised there is no vst plugin, maybe there's an RTAS version? If there's a means to make songs more bassy without affecting quality through many transducers, there would be a large market in the musical industry, enough to justify patenting the idea (if it's not done yet). Many music producer would be inclined to directly include this in the master of the songs.

Quote:
No vst plugin.

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #88 of 996
Gah!  Actually put this in my cart a couple times already and then backed out, lol.  Been debating this or the Leckerton...different products, but yeah...

Eh, will wait for a couple more impressions of both to come in before deciding...  Too bad the v2 is so far away, October or November was it?  Wonder if they're going to keep the price the same or bump it.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #89 of 996

Quote:
Gah!  Actually put this in my cart a couple times already and then backed out, lol.  Been debating this or the Leckerton...different products, but yeah...

Eh, will wait for a couple more impressions of both to come in before deciding...  Too bad the v2 is so far away, October or November was it?  Wonder if they're going to keep the price the same or bump it.

It's not that expensive.  Get it from the Sharper Image and look for an online coupon.  You can get it shipped under $100.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #90 of 996
ATTENTION TO ANYONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS

Edmund Scientific is having a sale right now. 10% off and free ground shipping on orders over $50 (like the ZO). They are authorized sellers of the ZO, that is where I got mine. This sale is for mother's day and the code is "2MOM". They just sent me an e-mail about it so I figured I would let you all know. If you love your bass, go ahead and buy it. You'll be happy you did
biggrin.gif

*Expires 4/30/11*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back