Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3,047 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD.SkY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when the unit is powered off, and the headphones and everything are still plugged in, will you still get unamplified sound, of does this need to be switched on for it to produce sound?

I'm not sure if its always gonna be the same with every amp (I'm pretty sure it is though) but I'm pretty sure it must be turned on.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #3,048 of 7,277
Never mind the mosfet stage, current from the signal does not flow from the grid of the 19J6, so without power applied to the tube stage, no sound's gonna come out. I believe the same applies to a transistor stage.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #3,049 of 7,277
Is there any possible way to build this and have 2 power switches? So it could usually be a solid state, and then when I wanted to, I would flip a switch for some tubier sound.

maybe have 2 output jacks if thats necessary.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #3,050 of 7,277
does warming up tubes really annoy you THAT much?

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #3,052 of 7,277
You have nothing to really compare it to. Just build it as is. And it won't work as a solid state, you'd have to build a separate amplifying circuit and maybe have a SPDT toggle switch between the two of them. Entirely inefficient. Just build it as is.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #3,053 of 7,277
Quote:

its just I want something that I can just set and forget :p

tbh, I really want the exposed tube look, but the sound, ive never heard, so I'm not sure if I'd even like it.

I say take the Literally the 3 seconds it takes to turn it off and don't forget.
also don't forget to keep that finger in top shape because if you don't you might get hurt flicking the switch. LOL
even if you had 2 switches you would still have to flick it on and off every time.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3,054 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say take the Literally the 3 seconds it takes to turn it off and don't forget.
also don't forget to keep that finger in top shape because if you don't you might get hurt flicking the switch. LOL
even if you had 2 switches you would still have to flick it on and off every time.

I work that finger out daily to prevent freak accidents like those.
I think I may just go for a solid state since I'm so used to just putting on headphones and listening.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #3,055 of 7,277
Quote:

I work that finger out daily to prevent freak accidents like those.
I think I may just go for a solid state since I'm so used to just putting on headphones and listening.

your being a little ridiculous man your giving up trying something new (that you might really like) because you dont want to have to turn something on and off

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #3,056 of 7,277
I just got my SS back from Fred_fred2004.

The sound is amazing!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #3,057 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your being a little ridiculous man your giving up trying something new (that you might really like) because you dont want to have to turn something on and off

Its not that at all. I'm on an extremely tight budget. I was simply wanting to know a bit more about this to figure out if it is what I need RIGHT NOW.

I have no doubt in my mind that I will end up building one of these. Just after all my questions were answered, I realized its going to be a bit further down the road now.

To add to my questions and complete knowledge-ness about this...
Are tube amps biased towards any certain type of music, or can they produce good results for, say, gaming?

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3,058 of 7,277
Quote:

Its not that at all. I'm on an extremely tight budget. I was simply wanting to know a bit more about this to figure out if it is what I need RIGHT NOW.

I have no doubt in my mind that I will end up building one of these. Just after all my questions were answered, I realized its going to be a bit further down the road now.

To add to my questions and complete knowledge-ness about this...
Are tube amps biased towards any certain type of music, or can they produce good results for, say, gaming?

AHHHHH... ok sorry. lol. I was gonna say a switch is a bad reason not to get it.
Cool have fun with whatever you get.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #3,059 of 7,277
I replaced the Panasonic 470uf caps with 100uf Muse ES Bipolar caps.
I was able to lower the cathode resistor to be more like 5k ohm, maintaining the same sound sig that I liked and keeping the gain under control.

These Muse Bipolars really do sound quite good, more detailed than the larger FM's did while in the same position. That proabablyhas mor eto do with being bipolar and smaller than anything.

As we speak, I am using this amp with my 9.4ohm IEM's and the hiss is very small to say the least. I seriosuly need to make an impedance adapter because this amp sounds superb with these IEMs. No noise whatsoever with 32ohm headphones either. I will get around to getting some proper resistors to get graphs, but I have a feeling that it will be pretty similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back