Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 24, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #3,031 of 7,277
Beginner here, and I am trying to understand the circuit...

If I have understood correctly, C2 is an inter-stage cap with R2/R4 paired up as a potential divider for Q1. Then, what is R3 doing there?

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3,033 of 7,277
As you guys might remember I posted a few pics of my wiring that didn't work four pages ago.
Since then I have put the layout into DIY Layout creator and I am just looking for some comments on the new layout.
Thanks to all in advance.

mssh.jpg

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #3,034 of 7,277
sorry - forgot to label the wires at the top and bottom
top: Green = Power, Black = Ground
bottom: mosfet 1 = left, mosfet 2 = right, pins on both go 123 from left to right

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3,035 of 7,277
Looks good, be careful because some of your wires are drawn over junction points where they are not connected so either redraw them or be extra careful not to get confused. Also you might want to streamline the wiring a little more if it makes it easier to build.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3,036 of 7,277
Looks OK, except for ... don't have any leads between R3 and R9 and the MOSFETs. Otherwise, you may get oscillation. Preferrably, R3 and R9 should be soldered directly to the gate of each MOSFET (pin 1), without any intervening wires - at least for a P2P version of the Starving Student. We've said this many times because it was a warning from Pete Millett himself.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3,037 of 7,277
Is there anyone in Irvine CA who would be interested in helping me walk through this or would like to team up and make 2 of these and compare for mistakes? Id be more for the 2nd option. I like soldering i find it a fun hobby of mine making cables and what better to do it together with a friend.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #3,038 of 7,277
I'm not in the area, but I can guarantee that I'll be posting detailed pictures and needing a few more pairs of eyes on my design for better or for worse...I'd say I'm probably at the same skill level as you, more or less (pretty good at soldering, and I can understand schematic component symbols but can't design my own schematics/circuits yet).

I'm starting this one from the outside in and I've got everything but the enclosure (it should arrive today). I'll be starting this week and taking pictures all along the way (to post to my blog, which is really just for record-keeping, but might be useful). I'll link to it when I do.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3,040 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Swingtops, what program did you use to generate that? It's handier than pencil and paper (which is what I use).

You can read the caption at the bottom of the pic:
"freeware DIY Layout Creator by Storm Software
http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy"

EDIT: but then the link doesn't work ... >
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #3,041 of 7,277
hey, thanks to all. I will try to move the two resistors for a better connection and the program is called DIY layout creator - I just did a google search for it, it's really slick and I wish I had known about it before I started soldering my amp the first time.

Thanks for all the feedback again.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #3,043 of 7,277
now for a question:

how long do the tubes last before they burn out?

Would it be bad to leave this on continuously or is it something I'd want to turn on and off every time I sat down to the computer?

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #3,044 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD.SkY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now for a question:

Would it be bad to leave this on continuously or is it something I'd want to turn on and off every time I sat down to the computer?

Tubes are not light bulbs. I wish the misconception about leaving a tube amp on all the time had never been started. The fact is, a typical tube will last for tens of thousands of hours. Whereas any tube amp, and especially a hybrid, will have many more components that may not last as long - especially when exposed to the long-term heat of an amp that was never turned off.
wink.gif

Warmup is only ~10-20 seconds before you get sound and perhaps a half-hour to an hour for the best listening (less than that if the tubes are well broken-in). Turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #3,045 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD.SkY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now for a question:

NEVER leave your amp on all the time (HUGE FIRE HAZARD PLUS MOST EVEN TELL YOU NOT TO RUN THEM OVER 6 HOURS STRAIT)! ESPECIALLY if you have pets or a kid for obvious safety reasons.

Coming from a fire fighter in training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back