Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #3,061 of 7,277
Okay, well, I finally got the enclosure for my amp...I have no more excuses not to start working on it.

Here's yet another dumb question - any reason why I can't use the aluminum case as ground? I'm using this case:

Aluminium Case for small projects - 113*70*25 (mm) [STR103C2B] - $7.50 : Seeed Studio Depot, Arsenal for interaction engineering

My other fear is that it's small, I'll have to mount the heat sinks 'sideways' (compared to many other amps here)...I really hope I can fit everything together in there properly.

May 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #3,062 of 7,277
That's a real classy looking (and very affordable) alum box. I'm not 100% sure if it will be large enough though, albeit some may have managed to do so with similar size.

With SS any conductive material like alum you should be able to use as ground. Btw, is there a reason why you must have the heatsinks 'sideways'? Wouldn't it just sit straight up on top of the enclosure?

May 5, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #3,064 of 7,277
OK - I had a little trouble with the panel LED (it's still out), but the production board is a success! So are the heat sinks - horizontal mounting using the same screws that attach the MOSFETs and they're barely warm after about an hour. Plus, these heat sinks are cheap as all get out - about $1.30 ea, if memory serves.

I went with a 10K pot, using 39K input resistors - works great and gives close to ~40K input impedance, which should be sufficient for most source coupling caps. It certainly doesn't lack any bass fed from a BantamDAC.
biggrin.gif

SSMH-production.jpg

EDIT: More pics later ...

May 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3,066 of 7,277
After buying my parts, most of which are from the original design, I began skimming through this thread. After seeing all of the "improvements" people have made to the amp (different caps, etc...) I am wondering if I should worry about my purchase. Are there any flaws in the original design that I should worry about?

Also, I have not yet purchased a power supply. Is there a power supply which is readily available that would suit this amp? I am not a huge fan of ebay, but if that is the only source then I will get a PSU there.

May 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #3,068 of 7,277
On for 4 hours and the hottest part of the amp measures 37deg. C. (98.6deg.F.). That's right at the root of the heat sinks. The rest of the case measures no more than 33-34deg.C. (91 to 93 deg.F.) I think we have a winner.
wink.gif

May 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #3,069 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Nibbles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After buying my parts, most of which are from the original design, I began skimming through this thread. After seeing all of the "improvements" people have made to the amp (different caps, etc...) I am wondering if I should worry about my purchase. Are there any flaws in the original design that I should worry about?

Also, I have not yet purchased a power supply. Is there a power supply which is readily available that would suit this amp? I am not a huge fan of ebay, but if that is the only source then I will get a PSU there.

The original bom sounds very nice, it's what's in mine and I can't really fault it much. I'm not sure how the updated list/layout affect things but I'm very happy with mine as it is.

The Power brick can probably be bought from a number of sources but I don't think anyone to date has had any problem with getting them from ebay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
On for 4 hours and the hottest part of the amp measures 37deg. C. (98.6deg.F.). That's right at the root of the heat sinks. The rest of the case measures no more than 33-34deg.C. (91 to 93 deg.F.) I think we have a winner.
wink.gif

Great news, looks like we have a winner!

May 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #3,072 of 7,277
Tom -

The BOM that I have is dated 2/16/09. When / where will update be available (including the heatsinks)??? And, since I already have all the other components, will you be offering the heat sinks from Beezar???

Sorry if this is not the appropriate venue to ask this type of question... Mods feel free to delete as you see fit.

May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #3,073 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom -

The BOM that I have is dated 2/16/09. When / where will update be available (including the heatsinks)??? And, since I already have all the other components, will you be offering the heat sinks from Beezar???

Sorry if this is not the appropriate venue to ask this type of question... Mods feel free to delete as you see fit.

I'm a one-man band at his point - Dsavitsk has done his work - so give me a chance. I know it's frustrating - I've been sitting on these boards for awhile now, and the tubes longer still.

The heat sinks will be included in the kits (30). After that, I was not planning on carrying them. They are a standard Mouser-DigiKey item:
569003b00000.jpg

569003B00000G

EDIT: Mouser says $1.23 ea, so definitely in keeping with the Starving Student theme.
wink.gif

May 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #3,075 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as I can get a board I'll be happy. Though tubes would be good too.

We have over twice the number of boards as tubes, so I think that will be assured.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back