Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7,277

pmillett

Pete Millet
Sponsor: TTVJ/Apex Hi-Fi
starving_top.jpg

I just posted the design details of the Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp on my website:

Starving Student hybrid

Think "Millett Max" for the financially impaired... or maybe "Millett Min"?

The idea was to design the simplest, lowest cost hybrid headphone amp possible. It still had to perform well and sound good, of course. I think I suceeded... it sounds very good.

If you're coming to CanJam, you can listen to it. I think Nate M will also have his version there.

Pete

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 7,277
Ha, Millett Min!

As Pete said I've already built and been using one of these for a while (month or so) for my amp at work. To say that it's a bargain would be an understatement. The build, even for non-ptp folks like myself, is easy and straightforward if you can follow a schematic. Here are a few choice shots of mine, I'll upload a picture with the knob mounted some time soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

95079461.jpg

95079466.jpg

Big thanks to Pete for another great project for both new and old DIY'ers!

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

How much do its parts cost?

I believe that there's a BOM on Pete's page that includes pricing information. In my build the parts order from Mouser was ~$40 shipped ($11 chassis included) and I think tubes and sockets set me back another $10 shipped. If you have anything in the way of parts laying around (like I do) you can build one of these for under $50 including everything without breaking a sweat.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yes
biggrin.gif
Just see the parts
tongue.gif

I wonder where can I get the tubes? And all the other parts can get from Mouser?
Thanks

You can find the 19J6 here:

Antique Electronic Supply

They're $1.10 each. Pete is loading us down with those pricey NOS tubes again.
biggrin.gif

Nice design! Might have to put one of those on my shelf shortly.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find the 19J6 here:

Antique Electronic Supply

They're $1.10 each. Pete is loading us down with those pricey NOS tubes again.
biggrin.gif

Nice design! Might have to put one of those on my shelf shortly.

Thanks Uncle
smily_headphones1.gif
I've just taken a look at eBay but couldn't find one
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 7,277
Pete's given us another great one! This thing looks cool - I've already started ordering parts. I had a bit of trouble finding the power supply, but this link should help you guys:

Cisco 34-1977-03 48V 0.38A PSA18U Power Supply NEW - eBay (item 360035479615 end time May-20-08 14:46:30 PDT)

The guy is down to 92 from 100 in the last hour, so they may be going fast!

I'm guessing the ingenious method of loading the MOSFETs with the tube heaters means they're already biased at 150ma. Sounds like a neat trick all the way around.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that there's a BOM on Pete's page that includes pricing information. In my build the parts order from Mouser was ~$40 shipped ($11 chassis included) and I think tubes and sockets set me back another $10 shipped. If you have anything in the way of parts laying around (like I do) you can build one of these for under $50 including everything without breaking a sweat.

What chastise did you use? I don't have any metal boxes lying around...

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think this is a good beginner project?

Reasonably good, yes. You do have to be prepared to do some thinking on your own as there aren't step by step instructions and the layout is entirely up to you. But it's safe enough (48VDC, no exposure to 120VAC) and doesn't require that many parts and there will be folks around here who can help if you have trouble.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What chastise did you use? I don't have any metal boxes lying around...

It's a Hammond Steel enclosure - Mouser part no: 546-1441-12BK3 but I'd encourage you to try something different. There's really no limit to what you can use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back