MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #182 of 2,609

Is this a code for the Little Dot headphone amplifier? I don't get the point.  Perhaps it represents an earlier or later period in your life.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #183 of 2,609

Is this a code for the Little Dot headphone amplifier? I don't get the point.  Perhaps it represents an earlier or later period in your life.

I made a statement that I retracted as I need to do further research. 

The micro puts 450 volts on the plates of the 6SN7 types. Tubes actually rated for this are the GTA and GTB version, any before that, the GT and so on from the 1940's, is rated for 300 volts. David Berning has stated he has never seen a problem with using the earlier tubes and it was more of the tolerances of the tubes that was tightened up that allowed the higher voltage and wattage but I still have my concerns. I do know that the 6F8G sounds very fine in the circuit but they are all rated for 300 volts max on the plates. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #184 of 2,609
  any update on the performances of Joule V power supply?
thanks

At 50 hours or so it does go back down hill regarding the sound. The magic leaves. I am around 90 hours now and it sounds better but not the magical sound I had around 24. I expect this with burn in but I have had things do so-so, some hours later sound unbelievable and then coast down in sound, never to return to the refinement and very fine rendition of sound that had been experienced. So I wait and let it run. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #185 of 2,609

I made a statement that I retracted as I need to do further research.

Sorry, just making puns: point, dot, period, etc.   (I do that sometimes...)

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #186 of 2,609
  Sorry, just making puns: point, dot, period, etc.   (I do that sometimes...)

I know but a . would leave a ? in someone's mind. And how many ? do we need floating around? Too many I say! With all that said; I could go further but will stop. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #187 of 2,609

At 50 hours or so it does go back down hill regarding the sound. The magic leaves. I am around 90 hours now and it sounds better but not the magical sound I had around 24. I expect this with burn in but I have had things do so-so, some hours later sound unbelievable and then coast down in sound, never to return to the refinement and very fine rendition of sound that had been experienced. So I wait and let it run. 

Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I've wondered about this for a while:  Has anyone reported the results of metallurgic studies at the light microscopic level for electronic parts (cables, wires, etc.) at various stages in the "burn in" process under controlled conditions?  More specifically, are there any microscopically visible changes in the structure of metals during the burning in process?  This is a knowledgeable group; someone probably knows the answer to this.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #188 of 2,609
  Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I've wondered about this for a while:  Has anyone reported the results of metallurgic studies at the light microscopic level for electronic parts (cables, wires, etc.) at various stages in the "burn in" process under controlled conditions?  More specifically, are there any microscopically visible changes in the structure of metals during the burning in process?  This is a knowledgeable group; someone probably knows the answer to this.

There have been some studies regarding dielectric but I don't know of any studies on the changes to electron transfer and changes to the metallurgy. Some have stated that it is beyond what we have at present to measure/view this. I hope someone can chime in. Also it would be expensive but maybe Tera Labs or one of the cable companies that has deep enough pockets to finance a real study. A good dissertation subject. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #189 of 2,609
One thing that is apparent to me now is that while the micro Zotl maintains the many positives of extremely good tube implementation, like a more 3D presentation, layering and realistic sound and it does not fail by giving the mushy bass (the bass is as tight as any solid state I have heard) nor the warmth that for me, gets tiresome and glosses over everything and sucks the life out of the music. I also find that I am around 12 to 1 o'clock on the control, max, which gives a lot more room for the music to grow as I have not found it to compress or soft clip with any music, no matter how dynamic or large scale. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #190 of 2,609
Wow, I am posting to myself. lol 

I am using some Sylvania great glass (the coating inside the glass) from the 1940's, 6F8G with great success. Great transparency, dynamics and layering with the HE1000 and using the Mojo V power supply. This Mojo goes up and down as it burns in (caps forming etc.). I am still listening to a lot of DSD via the Hugo (DoP) because you can really pick out the differences in sound with the amp and setup and I find it is hard to listen to some music do to the lack of spacial cues, when you can hear them in DSD but there is plenty of DSD out there that isn't very good also. For the IC from the Hugo to the micro I am using my own pure silver IC (99.99995). 

I do find I like the coated tubes more than the clear glass. In the past I did not like the GE grey glass and still don't in 6SN7 but for some reason in the 6F8G they are fine. I have the round plate black glass also and the grey, IMO, is as good. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #191 of 2,609
I have moved the ZOTL to my main system to see what it can really do. This consists of Fully Tricked Out Linn LP12 with upgraded power supply, Lyra cartridge, , Ittok tonearm, Pro-Ject Tube Box 6, then some expensive interconnects the guy who refurbished my Linn sold (I forget which) into the MicroZOTL, then out the the HE-1000. Man get clarity, space, soundstage, detailed bass, rich tonal color and 3d instruments/voices. Haven't been able to disconnect this set up since I did it a few days ago. Now, for CD, my preamp single ended line out might work into the ZOTL, haven't tried it (have the PeachTree GrandPre X, has well regarded asynchronous DA converter built in...using it balanced now to a Krell KSA-150, but the single ended outputs would work into the ZOTL, I'd guess. Out of good interconnects, though, have to play around and see what I can come up with. So far, every time I connect to better sources, sound just gets better and better (stock tubes, not up for rolling in this early part of the tube adventure). Got good results from my PC into Vaunix Lab Brick/LH Labs Geek Out Special Edition, into the ZOTL, but I think the vinyl sound is even better (and, I find vinyl such a PIA that I geneally reserve it for moments here and there; think I've listened to the turntable more the past3-4 days than I have in the past 3-4 months...

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #192 of 2,609
  Wow, I am posting to myself. lol 

I am using some Sylvania great glass (the coating inside the glass) from the 1940's, 6F8G with great success. Great transparency, dynamics and layering with the HE1000 and using the Mojo V power supply. This Mojo goes up and down as it burns in (caps forming etc.). I am still listening to a lot of DSD via the Hugo (DoP) because you can really pick out the differences in sound with the amp and setup and I find it is hard to listen to some music do to the lack of spacial cues, when you can hear them in DSD but there is plenty of DSD out there that isn't very good also. For the IC from the Hugo to the micro I am using my own pure silver IC (99.99995). 

I do find I like the coated tubes more than the clear glass. In the past I did not like the GE grey glass and still don't in 6SN7 but for some reason in the 6F8G they are fine. I have the round plate black glass also and the grey, IMO, is as good. 

Where did you get your adaptors for the 6F8G tubes? Thanks.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #193 of 2,609
@jamato8
Still not getting a sense of how you feel about the Mojo power supply and the ZOTL...have you got a sense of it as of yet?
Thanks

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #194 of 2,609
@jamato8
Still not getting a sense of how you feel about the Mojo power supply and the ZOTL...have you got a sense of it as of yet?
Thanks

Benjamin said it takes 300 hours to start hearing how it does for the sound and 800 to be fully burned in. It was up and down for a while but sounded better now. With the investment that it is, I want to be sure on my impressions before making an solid statement but right now I am getting a very, very realistic, dynamic and for lack of a better word, clean sound. All music, not sterile and smooth but with edge when needed. The HE1000 do not lack any dynamics at all, none. I would not want less dynamics but would not want more. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #195 of 2,609

Benjamin said it takes 300 hours to start hearing how it does for the sound and 800 to be fully burned in. It was up and down for a while but sounded better now. With the investment that it is, I want to be sure on my impressions before making an solid statement but right now I am getting a very, very realistic, dynamic and for lack of a better word, clean sound. All music, not sterile and smooth but with edge when needed. The HE1000 do not lack any dynamics at all, none. I would not want less dynamics but would not want more. 

I'm still using a  borrowed JOULE ONE, all burned in,  from Mojo Audio to power my Zotl. The Zotl feeds off it
like a hungry bear....not a slight difference on electromagnetic phones, makes them rock with more texture
body and bigger soundstage!!!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back