MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 6, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,596 of 2,609
LISST 6SN7 equivalent tubes were orderable at Schiit, ordered a pair and should be able to try them in 3 weeks ~$124 with shipping + tax. I'm curious to see if they help
with what I consider the weaknesses of the MZ2 as a pre, roll off at frequency extremes. If not, well might be time to think about better kit in the LTA line.

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,597 of 2,609
LISST 6SN7 equivalent tubes were orderable at Schiit, ordered a pair and should be able to try them in 3 weeks ~$124 with shipping + tax. I'm curious to see if they help
with what I consider the weaknesses of the MZ2 as a pre, roll off at frequency extremes. If not, well might be time to think about better kit in the LTA line.
LISST tubes arrived yesterday. Having an issue with bass distortion on the right channel with the LISST tubes that doesn't exist with ordinary vacuum tubes. What little I have been able to listen to isn't very pleasant, treble is irritating. This is looking like a "FAIL" so far.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #2,598 of 2,609
I'm looking for an open headphone sub $2k with relatively wide soundstage that plays well with mz2 as headphone amp. My ZMF Verite Closed are a great match, but I want to add something open and my Anandas are tinny and plasticy. Considering Arya V2 (hard to find now replaced by Stealth), but I'm concerned the mz2 won't drive adequately. Alternatives are HD800s, HE1000v2 which are now reduced to $2k or perhaps something from Audeze. Anyone have experience with an open back headphone that the mz2 drives with synnergy?

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #2,599 of 2,609
I'm looking for an open headphone sub $2k with relatively wide soundstage that plays well with mz2 as headphone amp. My ZMF Verite Closed are a great match, but I want to add something open and my Anandas are tinny and plasticy. Considering Arya V2 (hard to find now replaced by Stealth), but I'm concerned the mz2 won't drive adequately. Alternatives are HD800s, HE1000v2 which are now reduced to $2k or perhaps something from Audeze. Anyone have experience with an open back headphone that the mz2 drives with synnergy?
If you like the ZMF VC, why not give a go to ZMF Auteur Classic? Tremendous lineage and sound, open-backed, and meets your budget !!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #2,601 of 2,609
Not sure if anyone is contemplating a purchase from LTA but they are currently having a sale right now. 15% off with code FALL15 for everything on their web site.

I have no affiliation with them but have owned a bunch of their equipment and still use their Ultralinear Integrated Plus in my speaker system.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,602 of 2,609
LISST tubes arrived yesterday. Having an issue with bass distortion on the right channel with the LISST tubes that doesn't exist with ordinary vacuum tubes. What little I have been able to listen to isn't very pleasant, treble is irritating. This is looking like a "FAIL" so far.
It’s been a while, but my recollection is that the LISST ‘tubes’ are expressly NOT for anything but Schiit gear. They are not drop in replacements. At least that was true of the originals, I haven’t dabbled in anything Schiit for quite a long time.

— — —

I’ve read through this thread briefly, but I’m old, 174 pages is a lot and ultimately I couldn’t find what I’m looking for. I’m wondering if anyone has paired their MZ2 with Audeze LCD-3 with good results. I was thinking Pass Labs or Bakoon, but there’s something very attractive about this little amp - especially with the 15% discount. I’ve been a recovering tubeaholic for over 5 years (after more than 30 as an all-tube analog guy), but I’ve never dabbled in OTL. I know they work great with 300 ohm Sennheisers and Zu or DeVore Orangutan speakers, but how do they do with 110 ohm Audeze planars. I did see that Audeze in LA is listed as a demo center for LTA - I’m hoping that’s a good sign. Unfortunately, there’s nowhere close to NYC to do a demo (DC is way too far), so I seek your experienced and thoughtful observations.

Much obliged and thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,603 of 2,609
I’ve aged through this thread briefly, but I’m old, 174 pages is a lot and ultimately I couldn’t find what I’m looking for. I’m wondering if anyone has paired their MZ2 with Audeze LCD-3 with good results. I was thinking Pass Labs or Bakoon, but there’s something very attractive about this little amp - especially with the 15% discount. I’ve been a recovering tubeaholic for over 5 years (after more than 30 as an all-tube analog guy), but I’ve never dabbled in OTL. I know they work great with 300 ohm Sennheisers and Zu or DeVore Orangutan speakers, but how do they do with 110 ohm Audeze planars. I did see that Audeze in LA is listed as a demo center for LTA - I’m hoping that’s a good sign. Unfortunately, there’s nowhere close to NYC to do a demo (DC is way too far), so I seek your experienced and thoughtful observations.

Give Nicholas at LTA a call. He is great to work with and can give you very informed feedback on compatibility. He would never steer you to an amp that would not work well with your Audeze.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #2,606 of 2,609
… I’m wondering if anyone has paired their MZ2 with Audeze LCD-3 with good results. I was thinking Pass Labs or Bakoon, but there’s something very attractive about this little amp - especially with the 15% discount. I’ve been a recovering tubeaholic for over 5 years (after more than 30 as an all-tube analog guy), but I’ve never dabbled in OTL. I know they work great with 300 ohm Sennheisers and Zu or DeVore Orangutan speakers, but how do they do with 110 ohm Audeze planars. I did see that Audeze in LA is listed as a demo center for LTA - I’m hoping that’s a good sign. Unfortunately, there’s nowhere close to NYC to do a demo (DC is way too far), so I seek your experienced and thoughtful observations.

Note that while MZ2 (like MZ3) is a ‘zero hysteresis’ OTL, it does not share the higher output impedance (100-120 ohms) of a typical OTL. The output impedance for MZ2 (like MZ3) is 2 ohms. With a ‘joint damping factor’ of 55, an MZ2 / LCD3 pairing might be too tightly controlled - leading to loss of ‘blossoming’ of sound.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #2,607 of 2,609
It is why i must had returned the Microzotl 2 at my regret ...
If the LCD3 sensitivity and impedance is 93 db m/W and 100 ohms ...
The AKG K340 is 97 db/m/W and two cells , electrostatic and dynamic , of 400 ohms each ...

The noise floor level was astonishningt good with the Zotl power supply ...
But the holographic soundstage "out of the head" was no more there and the timbre experience was no more natural and realistic ...I kept my very good headphone out from the Sansui alpha 607i ...
The ZOTL was not the problem but the impossible synergy between the two ...No "blossoming of the sound in my case too ...

Because my main listening was with the AKG K340 , i returned it ... I regret the return , i must had kept it , because i loose anyway 300 bucks in postal fees and customs fees, tax fees and assurance ... LTA were more than kind in their service for me and the deal was good ... ...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #2,608 of 2,609
While I have truly enjoyed MZ3 (!) with lower impedance headphones (Audeze LCD-X, Grados, Focal Clear OG, Gjallarhorn JM Edition), MZ3 has left a little release ‘on the table’ when it comes to my Beyers, Senns, ZMFs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,609 of 2,609
Hey all, with Mojo Audio no longer modding the MZ2, does anyone know of other skilled engineers/techs who will replace the Alps pot with a Goldpoint stepped attenuator for the MZ2? In his MZ2 mod thread on headfi, Ben of Mojo Audio describes what is involved with this mod, and it’s definitely beyond my abilities!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back