MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 10, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #2,566 of 2,609
How come your PSU's power switch is on the front? Is that a standard MZ3 psu?
That is the p/s/u that came with the MZ3. When I looked at MZ3 a year+ ago, the p/s/u had a different appearance: vent slots in front and power switch in back, I believe. [Also, a year+ ago, the 6SN7/12SN7 choice was made via jumper location. Now, there is a slider switch on the pcb to accommodate that choice.]

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #2,567 of 2,609
That is the p/s/u that came with the MZ3. When I looked at MZ3 a year+ ago, the p/s/u had a different appearance: vent slots in front and power switch in back, I believe. [Also, a year+ ago, the 6SN7/12SN7 choice was made via jumper location. Now, there is a slider switch on the pcb to accommodate that choice.]
So, yours is a more recent iteration. I bought mine 2nd hand so not sure when it was made. I like how the new one is not as deep dimension wise and prefer the button on the front. I don't like the big "LTA" sticker on the front though.

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,568 of 2,609
Ok, decided to start reading this thread from the beginning, in the hopes of learning differences between the early MZ2 (red neutrik jack, red screws on top, switching power supply, no jumpers for 12sn7/6sn7, and two inputs on back) vs. current version. I’ve also emailed LTA and hope to hear back.

@saidentary , @jamato8 , @doctorjazz , @drbluenewmexico … You all contributed quite a good amount of info, early in this thread, on your respective MZ2 units with the original specs I’ve mentioned above. I have an opportunity to buy one (two digit serial number) like yours.

Today, all these years later, do you have any thoughts, regrets, or anything to pass along? I’m quite certain I’d be happy and have heard the MZ2 (current version) a couple of times at the LTA shop.

I did read several people stating the stock switching power supply was very good and upgrading to the LPS was a marginal improvement with a significant price tag. How about the sound of the amp? Any changes in sound signature over the years?

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #2,569 of 2,609
Still listening to mine….both stock and one that Ben at Mojo Audio upgraded with better tubes. I use Mojo Audio
battery power supplies on both of them and that makes a notable improvement in clarity and musicality
Both drive Focal headphones very well, also do iems extremely well. I use a Tradutto Earman DAC for my headphone reference system with the
upgraded Microzotal, same model as you are considering and am very happy!

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #2,570 of 2,609
It’s nice to see a mention of Ben at Mojo Audio. (I have one of the earliest EVO Mystique DAC with all the b&w: #0002)

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #2,573 of 2,609
Still listening to mine….both stock and one that Ben at Mojo Audio upgraded with better tubes. I use Mojo Audio
battery power supplies on both of them and that makes a notable improvement in clarity and musicality
Both drive Focal headphones very well, also do iems extremely well. I use a Tradutto Earman DAC for my headphone reference system with the
upgraded Microzotal, same model as you are considering and am very happy!
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you like the MZ2 so much, that you own two of them? Thanks for the encouragement regarding me pursuing this older model that's being offered to me. I'm also inquiring right now with LTA to see how much they charge to upgrade the standard switching supply to LPS+ specs. Of course I'll listen to the stock power supply and I'm sure it's very good (as evidenced by the comments earlier in this thread).

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,574 of 2,609
From the LTA website:
D57EC5C3-4AA8-431B-BE64-540120021CD6.png

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,576 of 2,609
From the LTA website:D57EC5C3-4AA8-431B-BE64-540120021CD6.png
OK- Just emailed LTA. Apparently, if one has the original switching power supply, it cannot be upgraded to LPS+. One needs to purchase the LPS+ for $650. This would mean that I'd be stuck with the switching power supply or spend $650 to upgrade. Now I'm pausing to see if I still want to buy this older unit.

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #2,577 of 2,609
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you like the MZ2 so much, that you own two of them? Thanks for the encouragement regarding me pursuing this older model that's being offered to me. I'm also inquiring right now with LTA to see how much they charge to upgrade the standard switching supply to LPS+ specs. Of course I'll listen to the stock power supply and I'm sure it's very good (as evidenced by the comments earlier in this thread).
Well, kind of! the true story is interesting. I saw David Berning's patent on the web for the original Microzotl when it was issued, and wrote him a letter, begging him to make me one. He agreed to and i received it about two months later and loved it! It has a blue case. nothing else happened for about 7 years re production of it and i wrote him a second letter recommending he market it vigorously because of the increase in headphone popularity. He apparently formed a new company with Linear Audio (LTA) and they started production and sent me one to review. Unfortunately it came completely smashed into pieces courtesy of the postal service. They made a new prototype and sent me a second one which sounded great, which i used for years. I was working with BEN at Mojoaudio.com as a tester and he suggested he upgrade mine after he heard it with better tubes and resistors. He did his magic on it and also sold me a used linear Mojo Audio power supply. Thats what i currently use in my main headphone system.
I have other good solid state headphone amps, but none of them are as liquid and musical as the Microzotl that Ben upgraded. i have not heard LTAs revisions to the originals and cannot comment on their quality or listening pleasure. Berning is obviously a genius, and his design of the Microzotl at a reasonable cost was certainly a breakthrough in headphone technology and cost effectiveness. you might want to contact Ben Zweikel at MojoAudio.com for other information regarding power supplies and upgrades, as he is still in the field.

Jul 13, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #2,578 of 2,609
You can drive a MZ2 quite nicely with a Superfarad3 LPS @12 volts. I plan to eventually upgrade in the LTA line of pre devices as I can hear damped upper treble transients and some deep bass roll off but everything in between is quite nice

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #2,579 of 2,609
You can drive a MZ2 quite nicely with a Superfarad3 LPS @12 volts. I plan to eventually upgrade in the LTA line of pre devices as I can hear damped upper treble transients and some deep bass roll off but everything in between is quite nice
Interesting to hear, have you compared the Farad LPS to the LTA LPS+ at all? Would be interested to hear about it.

Do you mean that you mean to upgrade the LPS to an LTA one, or that you'll upgrade to a higher level LTA product in general?

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #2,580 of 2,609
I have an early one, serial #0002. I was perfectly happy with it, but it stopped working at some point... I believe it was due to tube rolling. The original sits on a flimsy base, and inserting, them removing the tubes causes a connection to break. Since I had to send it out for repair anyway, I opted to send it to Ben, spring for upgrades (many internal, massive external power supply), and I have to say it sounds amazing. Obviously, I didn't have the original version to compare it to, which is consider a more accurate of judging (but, hey, in life we don't always get optimal-many times I've had to compare components in one dealer's showroom to different ones in another dealers, with different ancillary equipment. Such is life).
So, my take would be: the power supply upgrades are not essential but worthwhile. The original is probably fine if you place it securely and don't mess with tube rolling. If you do want to experiment, you're better off with a newer version of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back