MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Aug 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #211 of 2,609
So with all this talk about upgraded power supplies....

Has anyone tried the Uptone JS-2 with their microZOTL 2? It has dual outputs and still costs nearly a grand but I've been considering this as a future purchase to use with a headless MacMini and the Zotl2.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #212 of 2,609
  So with all this talk about upgraded power supplies....

Has anyone tried the Uptone JS-2 with their microZOTL 2? It has dual outputs and still costs nearly a grand but I've been considering this as a future purchase to use with a headless MacMini and the Zotl2.

I hadn't heard of it. Looks interesting. Nice to have 2 outputs. It could become the battle of the power supplies instead of battle of the amps. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #213 of 2,609
Same here, hasn't heard of it, I am waiting for a Regen, which is backed up in orders, think I should get it sometime in August. Trying to hold out on spending for either, but I think I may have to bite the bullet, sell sine stuff, and but something like this (to add more confusion to my situation, I should be getting the Liquid Carbon toys month as well...)

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #214 of 2,609
Same here, hasn't heard of it, I am waiting for a Regen, which is backed up in orders, think I should get it sometime in August. Trying to hold out on spending for either, but I think I may have to bite the bullet, sell sine stuff, and but something like this (to add more confusion to my situation, I should be getting the Liquid Carbon toys month as well...)

Ordered the LC as well, like I need another amp. Too much stuff now, way too much but the LC looks like a nice amp for travel (transportable) and to have the balanced also is a plus, which is the only reason I bought it. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #215 of 2,609
Same, got my cable terminated balanced for the LC, with adapters for the Pono and single end sources. End of Brokedown Palace, "doo doo doo...", lovely!

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #216 of 2,609

I've had a Regen for a couple of weeks now and am pretty impressed. I'd be surprised if you don't like it. Given that all their products (all 3 of 'em) get almost no bad reviews, I thought I'd ask about their power supply.

First I need to sell my Lyr 2 and buy the microZOTL.....

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #217 of 2,609
Hmmm, sounds interesting...more expensive than the LH labs LPS, but more flexible (the LH is fixed voltage, if I'm correct)...it is in the range of the Mojo, gotta sell some of my babies, but, it's (sob!) too (sob!) painful (sob!)...will they have a good home? Will they get their cables and components pampered (but NOT spoiled!)? It's all too much to bear....:frowning2:

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #218 of 2,609

I've had a Regen for a couple of weeks now and am pretty impressed. I'd be surprised if you don't like it. Given that all their products (all 3 of 'em) get almost no bad reviews, I thought I'd ask about their power supply.

Did you get rid of the Koss 950? These amps wouldn't be for that, need an electrostatic amp, as I'm sure you know. Am I the last Koss holdout (it's because I can't let go of anything...I'm going to find myself on one of those sad TV specials about horders, where 10 police and firemen had to come in and find a way out of the apartment, it was so loaded with stuff :)

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #219 of 2,609

Did you get rid of the Koss 950? These amps wouldn't be for that, need an electrostatic amp, as I'm sure you know. Am I the last Koss holdout (it's because I can't let go of anything...I'm going to find myself on one of those sad TV specials about horders, where 10 police and firemen had to come in and find a way out of the apartment, it was so loaded with stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I still have the '950s and plan to hold onto them. I have a separate amp from Mjolnir Audio (Birgir) as an upgrade to the E/90. My plan is to eventually upgrade to a pair of SR-007 or SR-009s, but lately I've been distracted by the thought of the microZOTL and maybe trying a pair of Fostex TH-900s with it. I really like electrostatic 'phones, but I probably spend equal amounts of time with a pair of Audio Technicas and Sennheisers as well. It kinda sucks having to spend money on 2 systems, but eventually I'll get them both to a place that I'm happy with.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #220 of 2,609
I got the Stax 323 as an upgrade to the amp supplied be Koss...sine find it not to be better, I think it is better sounding (though I believe a 3K electrostatic amp must be much better, but I haven't heard one yet). When my 2 main cans were the Koss and the HE-560, I went back and forth between them. The 560 had much better highs, better bass, was more open sounding. But the Koss had a speed, a way of presenting and letting go of notes, that was much better than the 560, made it sound clunky (in comparison). Since getting the HEK, though, haven't touched the Koss or the 560. Probably should see if the Koss still holds its own in the areas it's strong in against the HEK. One of these days...

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #221 of 2,609
I got the Stax 323 as an upgrade to the amp supplied be Koss...sine find it not to be better, I think it is better sounding (though I believe a 3K electrostatic amp must be much better, but I haven't heard one yet). When my 2 main cans were the Koss and the HE-560, I went back and forth between them. The 560 had much better highs, better bass, was more open sounding. But the Koss had a speed, a way of presenting and letting go of notes, that was much better than the 560, made it sound clunky (in comparison). Since getting the HEK, though, haven't touched the Koss or the 560. Probably should see if the Koss still holds its own in the areas it's strong in against the HEK. One of these days...

The Mjolnir Exstata amp I bought is supposed be at a similar level as the 323 or maybe a little better since Birgir had upgraded the PS and some other stuff. I havent heard a 323. The Exstata was a slight improvement over the E/90, but made me realize that the stock Koss amp wasn't really the issue. I find the Koss' to be a little too rolled off at the top end for me which is why I started thinking about buying an upper level Stax. At least I have a decent starter amp now for when I make that move. But I really do love the speed and midrange clarity of the Koss ESPs.

Until then I want to focus more on improving the dynamic cans system and the microZOTL is sounding like something that I'd really like. The Lyr 2 isn't bad but it doesn't quite have the mid range magic I'm looking for. It has tons of power, but now that I sold my AKG 702s, it's a little overkill.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #222 of 2,609
I'm not sure you'll get more "midrange magic" from the ZOTL than the Lyr, I haven't heard the Lyr, but isn't it the typical "tube" sounding kind of amp. The ZOTL is open, clear in the mids but not lush like the classic tube amp (a bit like the Koss Stat midrange you mention).
The Koss is rolled off at the top, mostly used the 560 when those were the 2 contenders, now the HEK is King!

The Mjolnir Exstata amp I bought is supposed be at a similar level as the 323 or maybe a little better since Birgir had upgraded the PS and some other stuff. I havent heard a 323. The Exstata was a slight improvement over the E/90, but made me realize that the stock Koss amp wasn't really the issue. I find the Koss' to be a little too rolled off at the top end for me which is why I started thinking about buying an upper level Stax. At least I have a decent starter amp now for when I make that move. But I really do love the speed and midrange clarity of the Koss ESPs.

Until then I want to focus more on improving the dynamic cans system and the microZOTL is sounding like something that I'd really like. The Lyr 2 isn't bad but it doesn't quite have the mid range magic I'm looking for. It has tons of power, but now that I sold my AKG 702s, it's a little overkill.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #223 of 2,609
The Lyr 2 is not a typical tube sounding amp. I think the Schiit Valhalla has more of  a traditional tube sound.

Magic midrange probably wasn't the best descriptor of what I'm looking for. But if the microZOTL comes close to the Koss ESPs midrange I should be happy.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #224 of 2,609

The MicroZotl2 kills it with dynamic cans.  I'm listening regularly with ATH W1000 cherrywood cans, and its like having
a JBL live sound system in my head with the Zotl powered by a Joule 1 power supply and high current cable. My
electromagnetic phones sound fabulous, detailed and linear, but the dynamics really sound more musical to me with
a thicker and more life like sound even if they have less detail.  I listen to both acoustic and electric blues a lot, and
its kind of the difference between my planar Apogee Divas powered by Krell reference class A massive amps vs
my Zu audio supersuperlfys powered by a midsize tube amp.  The Zu system rocks it for blues.  The Zotl rocks the
dynamic headphones in the same way...

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #225 of 2,609
As Blue mentioned, the ZOTL is more about clarity and detail in the mids, and an open wide soundstage. It is like solid state, but more open, less grain, if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back