MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Aug 6, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #241 of 2,609
I'm totally out of my league here, but wouldn't it depends on the voltage the Hugo wants to see?

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #242 of 2,609
Please proceed with extreme caution if you're thinking of trying this, as reading the Hugo thread, a couple of owners have inadvertently fried their Hugo's by using aftermarket power supplies.  

Quote:

Benjamin, head of Mojo Audio suggested that if your Hugo can be powered from the second  power output on the JOULE V you could boost
your level of performance of the system even higher.  I have no idea if this is possible or not or electrically feasible for the Hugo, but its an
interesting possibility since the JOULE V power supply has two outputs......

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #243 of 2,609

Benjamin, head of Mojo Audio suggested that if your Hugo can be powered from the second  power output on the JOULE V you could boost
your level of performance of the system even higher.  I have no idea if this is possible or not or electrically feasible for the Hugo, but its an
interesting possibility since the JOULE V power supply has two outputs......

The V has either 1 or 2 output depending upon how you order it. Chord has said that the Hugo is immune to the PS but I have plugged mine into my balanced AC line purifier (a special 50 pound toroid for this purpose and other things to clean up anything on the AC) and the sound did improve, using the wall wart that came with the Hugo. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #244 of 2,609
I'm totally out of my league here, but wouldn't it depends on the voltage the Hugo wants to see?

Yes, you have to input the correct voltage and Benjamin can taylor the second output to whatever voltage you want. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #245 of 2,609
Listening to Rosanne Cash, 10 Song Demo. never, never heard it sound better. Wonderful.

Day before yesterday I was getting some break up on the right driver of the HE1000. I figured there was something wrong with the headphones. It sounded just like a driver going bad. Then I tried my other headphones. I could hear it, but barely. The micro and the He1000 were resolving something that other headphones had a hard time with that was in the recording, distortion/clipping. It was actually a positive. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #246 of 2,609
Sometimes I find the same thing, when I think the amp/headphones are sounding bad, what I'm really noting is a bad sounding recording. It is actually a positive, I suppose, though it also kinda sucks. But, what are you going to do?

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #247 of 2,609
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 
  "Ok, with the Mojo V power supply and some VT99 tubes, the micro just does it right. Excellent sound and I truly doubt there is anything better. Maybe different but I get it all. I get depth, solid bass, as deep as it is recorded, transparency, width and depth. The frequency extremes all are there and to my ear, perfect."

This is a remarkably strong statement from someone as experienced and (who I perceive to be) astute as you are.  I would also assume, based on having read only a limited sample your posts, that you are generally cautious about exaggerating, and that you don't post impulsively--you think before you write something.  So people should take note of your opinion.  Perhaps you should consider a review, to corroborate and complement the fine review already written by Dr. Blue.  Just a thought.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #248 of 2,609
While you're at it, you need to get other LPS (LH Labs, Jays, UpTone Audio), take it for the team! I'm kidding of course, but it does highlight that it is pretty much impossible to compare the options around...I'm really trying to figure out how to get one of these (and not get a divorce included in the bargain).

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #249 of 2,609
While you're at it, you need to get other LPS (LH Labs, Jays, UpTone Audio), take it for the team! I'm kidding of course, but it does highlight that it is pretty much impossible to compare the options around...I'm really trying to figure out how to get one of these (and not get a divorce included in the bargain).

Cool, I am after that. But one favor, could you start an online fund raiser for me? I will be able then to give you guys all kinds of feedback. :^) 

Listening to some DSD Mozart Sinfonia concertante-Allegro maestros with Podger on violin. Heaven. Such purity of sound, wonderful natural bass foundation and the violin, sounds like a violin. I used to play one, self taught, and I truly enjoy that animal. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #250 of 2,609
Sometimes I find the same thing, when I think the amp/headphones are sounding bad, what I'm really noting is a bad sounding recording. It is actually a positive, I suppose, though it also kinda sucks. But, what are you going to do?

very true.....i can big differences in recording quality through the Zotl with Mojo NOS DAC and my "lowly" 400is. \all powered by a Joule 1.  the resolving power with HE1Ks and a Joule V will be much greater i imagine. the differences i hear are the amount of grain in a recording, whether it was recorded analogue or digital, microphonics in the recording and mastering differences in volume and tone.  i used to use my STAX lambda system and would hear such differences, but that is 20 years old and needs to be updated with new tubes, etc...but the degree of "peering into the sound structure" of recordings through the Zotl2! is fantastic...the really good recordings sound fabulous, while the not so good recordings are annoying.this is especially true for pop music and blues recordings on Tidal.   I listen with my ATH W1000 woodies a lot cause it kind averages out the differences and makes everything sound pretty good through them.  depends what you want, truth or pleasure!  and thanks Sedentary for your kind comment regarding my Zotl2 review

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #251 of 2,609
avoid divorce!  get gear sent in plain brown wrappers....use off shore banking accounts...

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #252 of 2,609
Listening to Beethoven's 9th on DSD and what a treat. Extremely dimensional and a wonderful tuneful flowing bass foundation. Male voice and choir are life like. You can feel/hear the hall space, it isn't a sound coming out of a cutout. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #253 of 2,609
  Listening to Beethoven's 9th on DSD and what a treat. Extremely dimensional and a wonderful tuneful flowing bass foundation. Male voice and choir are life like. You can feel/hear the hall space, it isn't a sound coming out of a cutout. 

You sound ZOTLed!  to coin a term........kind of like Shpongle, but by audio vibrations!!!!!!

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #254 of 2,609
Aug 10, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #255 of 2,609
Mark from Audio HiFi stated that a top that will accommodate tall tubes like the VT99 will be out in about 6 weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back