MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 7, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #166 of 2,609
  What are the dimensions of the PS?

This is the info i found on the Mojo-Audio web site.
You should call or e mail them for more data on the units. 
The new WATT is about half the size of the Joule V. and made for
headphone amps and dads.

1. Less noise than a LiO4 battery.
  2. Less than 50uV of peak-to-peak noise/ripple.
  3. Less than 10uS settling time from zero to full output.
  4. Up to 10 amps continuous power with up to 15 amp peaks.
  5. Hot parts are heat sunk to the exterior and dissipated through the entire chassis.
  6. Sophisticated AC filtering - no special power conditioners or cables are required.
  7. Cascaded spread spectrum capacitive filtering for expanded bandwidth.
  8. DC ground lift option allows separating AC and DC grounding.
  9. Easily converted from 115V to 230V AC at IEC inlet.

We use only the highest-quality parts:

1. Belleson ultralow-noise high-dynamic regulators.
  2. Organic polymer capacitors with ESR as low as 7mOhms.
  3. High-frequency MLCC capacitors to filter beyond 3GHz.
  4. IXYS ultrafast soft recovery Hexfred diode bridge.
  5. Laboratory grade filtered/fused/switched AC power inlet.
  6. Neutrik silver-plated 10A + 10A XLR DC power outlets.
  7. Ultra-heavy gauge .125" thick all-aluminum chassis.
  8. All non-magnetic stainless steel PEMs and hardware.
  9. Durable high-temp powder coating inside and out.
  10. Sorbothane or adjustable spiked anti-resonant feet.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #167 of 2,609

Mojo-Audio just released the following info:
Watt PSUs are available now - MSRP $799.95 + $149.95 for the DC power cable. 
I would be willing to make an introductory offer of only $800 + shipping (a $150 discount) for anyone that wants one for their micro-Zotl.
Watt is not yet on the website. Benjamin just sent me the following comments also:

"I would also give them a 2014 (matte vs. scratch face plate) Joule V + DC cable for only $100 more. 
I think the Joule V is a better deal, since it has more current capacity, won't get hot, and has an optional dual output (could run a DAC, drive, or USB converter)". 

Attached is a rough photo.
The Watt info is not available yet on the website of Mojo -Audio.com  call for more data than below:
It is roughly 2/3 the size, cost, and current output of the Joule V. Here is a rough photo and
a selfie i took while listening to the enhanced MicroZotl!

I presume this is the special purchase on the Joule V:

http://www.mojo-audio.com/2014-joule-v-power-supply/

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #168 of 2,609

I would always want a higher than needed spec PS and I would imagine at startup when the heaters are cold there is going to be a surge in current and you have to go over the static current use for that. I was going to put a resistor in and measure for current but I look forward to what you find. 

Using my clamp-on ammeter, I measure about .3A on start-up and .25A at idle. Sounds too low, but that's what I got.

Reading the original instruction manual and a review of the original microZOTL, I  see that David Berning said the amp would draw 2.1A when using a 12V battery. The fuse on the original MZ internal power supply came right after the incoming power and was speced at 2.5A. So we can put this matter to rest and say that a replacement power supply for MZ2 should be rated at 2.5A or more. According to Mark at UrbanHiFi, the pcb in the MZ2 is an exact copy of the original MZ; the outboard power supply of the MZ2 is a copy of the internal power supply of the MZ.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #169 of 2,609

Using my clamp-on ammeter, I measure about .3A on start-up and .25A at idle. Sounds too low, but that's what I got.

Reading the original instruction manual and a review of the original microZOTL, I  see that David Berning said the amp would draw 2.1A when using a 12V battery. The fuse on the original MZ internal power supply came right after the incoming power and was speced at 2.5A. So we can put this matter to rest and say that a replacement power supply for MZ2 should be rated at 2.5A or more. According to Mark at UrbanHiFi, the pcb in the MZ2 is an exact copy of the original MZ; the outboard power supply of the MZ2 is a copy of the internal power supply of the MZ.

The best way then would be to put a small value resistor in line then and measure the drop and then get the ampere draw. But as you say, 2.5 will work. 2.5 or greater. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #170 of 2,609
This is the response I got from Teradak

If you really need 12V@4A output, you should order 65W ~ 100W PSU for better performance
because the linear power supply unit is not as efficient as the regular switching power supply unit.
We have 100W PSU in stock and its price is $220 USD that does not include shipping fee.

This is probably the reason why there is difference in A  David's info of 2A and 3.7A from urban hifi

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #171 of 2,609
Well I took the plunge on the power supply from Mojo Audio. Will report what I hear/don't hear. They have a better deal on a few of the 2014 models, which are the same as the newest, just a different faceplate. I can't over emphasize the importance of a good power source. Having worked a lot on amps and preamps, it was the power supply that would make or break them. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #172 of 2,609
Well I took the plunge on the power supply from Mojo Audio. Will report what I hear/don't hear. They have a better deal on a few of the 2014 models, which are the same as the newest, just a different faceplate. I can't over emphasize the importance of a good power source. Having worked a lot on amps and preamps, it was the power supply that would make or break them. 

Thanks for taking one for the team :)

I always thought one of the reasons the RSA amps; portable as well as the big ones, sounded excellent (at least to me) was the large focus on the power supplies.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #173 of 2,609
My RSA HR-2 has quite a massive external power supply, as you note.

Thanks for taking one for the team :)

I always thought one of the reasons the RSA amps; portable as well as the big ones, sounded excellent (at least to me) was the large focus on the power supplies.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #175 of 2,609
Ah, I could see right through you (get it!!!!!):D

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #176 of 2,609
Well I have the micro running on the Mojo Audio V ps now. Will report as it burns in. Mojo states that 800 hours are needed for a total burn-in time for the caps etc. The PS is very heavy. It has a large transformer inside and stainless fittings with a .125 aluminum case. I was surprised by the weight though. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #177 of 2,609
  Well I have the micro running on the Mojo Audio V ps now. Will report as it burns in. Mojo states that 800 hours are needed for a total burn-in time for the caps etc. The PS is very heavy. It has a large transformer inside and stainless fittings with a .125 aluminum case. I was surprised by the weight though. 

Have you listened to it yet or just doing burning in?

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #178 of 2,609
Please don't tell us it's the best thing you've ever heard...:dizzy_face:

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #179 of 2,609

Have you listened to it yet or just doing burning in?

Sure, I am listening to it. Sounds good out of the box. I was told it did not sound good until a few hundred hours on it so shall see. I would have to a little A/B right now to tell if there is much of a difference but I want at least a day on it first to let some things settle but as described, it goes up and down and gets good around 300 hours then 500 more for the caps and everything to fully form and so on. 

Well I can say that I am hearing a cleaner sound and even my regular CD rips (if well or decently recorded) sound better. I will have to do some real comparisons though as I do not want to mislead anyone. 

Weird, well not but I was doing some reading and I realized the music was sounding so direct and 3D. A strange (good but I am not used to it this much) space around voice and instruments like. Not a bad weird or strange, just not used to it. I don't even have my best tubes in the micro for the output. 

I don't even feel like describing what I am hearing. Wow. It is something that has to be heard to be believed because if I tried to write what I am hearing, and was someone else reading it, I might think it was BS and exaggerations. And the PS isn't even broken in. . . . I hope it doesn't take some weird turn but as of right now . . Listening to Will Nelson, Star Dust, in DSD and have heard it too many times but this is unreal and like I never heard it. 

edit: the sound has coasted back down in the 3D and imaging. Not what it was yesterday. Will see how the burn in goes. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #180 of 2,609

Users who are viewing this thread

Back