MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 6, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #151 of 2,609
I have searched linear power supply on ebay and found several LPS including Jay's, Teradak, SMSL
I am waiting for the seller's response whether they meet the requirement of 12V 4A 2.5mm (220V for me) or not
One seller's response is that this model meets the requirement and he can change 2.1mm to 2.5mm connector.
I would like to ask whether it is good or not?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-30VA-HiFi-Linear-power-supply-PSU-DC9V-12V-15V-16V-18V-20V-24V-for-choose-/141696178083?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
It does not cost a lot so it is tempting but I think I will wait for other sellers's response : Teradak, SMSL etc

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #152 of 2,609
The ebay one is a really good price IF it is any good and OK with the connectors. I have no idea about any of this, of course...will await more knowledgeable replies.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #154 of 2,609
  The seller said that it's from Breeze Audio: a high quality one.
He can change the connector to 2.5mm  and it is 12V 4A
May pull the trigger soon, waiting for more info.

There are no specifications. Does he have anything on how it measures? Ripple at different frequencies etc.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #156 of 2,609
  I have searched linear power supply on ebay and found several LPS including Jay's, Teradak, SMSL
I am waiting for the seller's response whether they meet the requirement of 12V 4A 2.5mm (220V for me) or not
One seller's response is that this model meets the requirement and he can change 2.1mm to 2.5mm connector.
I would like to ask whether it is good or not?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-30VA-HiFi-Linear-power-supply-PSU-DC9V-12V-15V-16V-18V-20V-24V-for-choose-/141696178083?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
It does not cost a lot so it is tempting but I think I will wait for other sellers's response : Teradak, SMSL etc

This says the power supply is 30 Watts. A 30 watt power supply would be rated at 2.5 Amps. Divide 30 (watts) by 12 (volts) to get 2.5 Amps. The power supply that comes with the MZ2 is rated at 44.4 Watts, so 44.4 divided by 12 is 3.7 A, and that is the minimum the amp calls for. Also this power supply doesn't have much power line filtration per the somewhat dark picture, so I would stay away from it on that alone.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #158 of 2,609
MicroZOTL is self biasing.

MicroZOTL draws about 2 A @ 12 V. I don't know what the rating of the power supply is that is furnished with MicroZOTL 2.

This is the info. from David

I also asked the specification directly from Teradak about their power supply, hope they will answer

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #160 of 2,609
  MicroZOTL is self biasing.

MicroZOTL draws about 2 A @ 12 V. I don't know what the rating of the power supply is that is furnished with MicroZOTL 2.

This is the info. from David

I also asked the specification directly from Teradak about their power supply, hope they will answer

The power supply that comes with the MZ2 says 12V 44.4W. The back of the MZ2 says 12VDC 3.7A. Mark at UrbanHiFi, who licensed the MZ2 circuit from David Berning, worked with Berning on the amp and told me the supplied power supply is equivalent to what was used in the original microZotl. But of course David Berning is the last word. Don't know why Mark would use a 3.7A power supply if 2A is enough; maybe just so it won't have to work as hard. I need to put my ammeter on the MZ2 to see what mine is actually drawing.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #161 of 2,609

Just saw an L H Labs LPS4 For Sale here on Head-Fi. There is a picture of the inside and the back of the unit. It appears to be well made, but the back shows that the 2 highest rated outputs are 1.5 amps. Do Not buy this unit to use with the MZ2. The MZ2 has a minimum rating of 3.7 Amps. You would most likely overload the LPS4 and damage it or just blow fuses. Wait for the Mojo-Audio power supply as he is aware of what the MZ2 needs, or check out Welborne Labs as I mentioned earlier. I'm going to contact Welborne Labs and nail down his price on a 12V 4A power supply in kit form and factory built. I'll report what I find. I'm pretty sure the Mojo-Audio supply will be superior, but it will probably end up being 1 & 1/2 to 2 times more expensive than the Welborne.

the Mojo Audio Joule V power supply (available now) is built like a tank, and definitely powers the MZotl with authority and magic improvement over the stock power supply.  The newer budget Mojo Audio supply the WATT will be available very soon and uses identical circuits but in a smaller box, and gets a bit hotter, but still drives the MZotl with authority and grace.  contact Benjamin Zweikel at Mojo-Audio.com for more details!!! Occasionally Benjamin has trade ins of his Joule 1 and Joule 3 or 4 power supplies and they should work well also, but the Joule V and the upcoming Watt are the audio TOTL versions.... Im using a borrowed Joule 1 on my prototype MZotl and it really improved the the sound quite nicely......and is built like a Mercedes-Benz......

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #162 of 2,609

The power supply that comes with the MZ2 says 12V 44.4W. The back of the MZ2 says 12VDC 3.7A. Mark at UrbanHiFi, who licensed the MZ2 circuit from David Berning, worked with Berning on the amp and told me the supplied power supply is equivalent to what was used in the original microZotl. But of course David Berning is the last word. Don't know why Mark would use a 3.7A power supply if 2A is enough; maybe just so it won't have to work as hard. I need to put my ammeter on the MZ2 to see what mine is actually drawing.

I would always want a higher than needed spec PS and I would imagine at startup when the heaters are cold there is going to be a surge in current and you have to go over the static current use for that. I was going to put a resistor in and measure for current but I look forward to what you find. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #163 of 2,609

the Mojo Audio Joule V power supply (available now) is built like a tank, and definitely powers the MZotl with authority and magic improvement over the stock power supply.  The newer budget Mojo Audio supply the WATT will be available very soon and uses identical circuits but in a smaller box, and gets a bit hotter, but still drives the MZotl with authority and grace.  contact Benjamin Zweikel at Mojo-Audio.com for more details!!! Occasionally Benjamin has trade ins of his Joule 1 and Joule 3 or 4 power supplies and they should work well also, but the Joule V and the upcoming Watt are the audio TOTL versions.... Im using a borrowed Joule 1 on my prototype MZotl and it really improved the the sound quite nicely......and is built like a Mercedes-Benz......

Mojo-Audio just released the following info:
Watt PSUs are available now - MSRP $799.95 + $149.95 for the DC power cable. 
I would be willing to make an introductory offer of only $800 + shipping (a $150 discount) for anyone that wants one for their micro-Zotl.
Watt is not yet on the website. Benjamin just sent me the following comments also:

"I would also give them a 2014 (matte vs. scratch face plate) Joule V + DC cable for only $100 more. 
I think the Joule V is a better deal, since it has more current capacity, won't get hot, and has an optional dual output (could run a DAC, drive, or USB converter)". 

Attached is a rough photo.
The Watt info is not available yet on the website of Mojo -Audio.com  call for more data than below:
It is roughly 2/3 the size, cost, and current output of the Joule V. Here is a rough photo and
a selfie i took while listening to the enhanced MicroZotl!

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #165 of 2,609

Mojo-Audio just released the following info:
Watt PSUs are available now - MSRP $799.95 + $149.95 for the DC power cable. 
I would be willing to make an introductory offer of only $800 + shipping (a $150 discount) for anyone that wants one for their micro-Zotl.
Watt is not yet on the website. Benjamin just sent me the following comments also:

"I would also give them a 2014 (matte vs. scratch face plate) Joule V + DC cable for only $100 more. 
I think the Joule V is a better deal, since it has more current capacity, won't get hot, and has an optional dual output (could run a DAC, drive, or USB converter)". 

Attached is a rough photo.
The Watt info is not available yet on the website of Mojo -Audio.com  call for more data than below:
It is roughly 2/3 the size, cost, and current output of the Joule V. Here is a rough photo and
a selfie i took while listening to the enhanced MicroZotl!

What are the dimensions of the PS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back