MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 30, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,471 of 2,680

Quote:
Loserica,
I'm just finishing, several caps left to replace, and maybe power supply(ugrading power supply needs seperate chassis, I'll have to think this upgrade over). This will be the end. I'm not touching the DAC any more. :)))))))))
The DAC will beat over $10k worth DACs.

Robert,
I think it would be something to change in your dac, which is worth!
Why not change stock conectors (or those that appearing in one of the pictures you posted a few weeks ago) with WBT (AG RCA Pure silver), and "white silver hook-up whire (from DHLABS)? I say, I immediately felt a change in sound, after I installed WBT conectors.
smile.gif

After I finish a few "cosmetic" (Elna, Auricap, R.Silver Mica, bnc-conector), I will post photos to see how beautiful they are working conectors.

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,472 of 2,680
loserica,

I intend to change all connectors, will start with a good teflon tube socket (I have one), I expect rather a "slight" change in sound.
Will replace the rest connectors as last upgrade-move with pure silver ones.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #1,473 of 2,680
The biggest results we obtain changing the caps and some resistors, I match them with care, because sometimes one cap in inappropriate place spoils everything. Of course DACS and tube are the key upgrade (without it all futher upgrades are senseless).

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #1,475 of 2,680
I just ordered the Russian FT-3 cap, would like to do the upgrade to the 47uf cap at the same time. Any progress on the listening test on which value and cap choice?

Thanks, guys I very much appreciate your efforts!

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #1,476 of 2,680
Russian FT3 0,22uF is a great cap, very hard to fit, but it is worth the effort (considerably improves the sound). I replaced almost all 47uF with Black Gates FK (BG N series in digital section), to my eras they are the best, Elna Silmic RFS Electroltic is a second best. Ignat(niamex) suggested to replace one of 47uF (marked on the photo) with higher value like 100uF. I will check it by the next occasion. Now I'm concentrated on the 470uF cap behind the big output caps (Havana strongly reacts to its change), ordered Elna Silmic RFS 470uF 35V, I have BG FK one and looking for something extremely good yet. Ordered also FT3 0,1uF, will try to replace C5 with it.  (now I have no C5 at all, removed it)
(You can fit max two of the big Russian caps in the Havana)

edit:

BG have a long time "burn in", 100 hours or longer

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #1,477 of 2,680

Thanks, awesome.  By the way, I love the Mundorf silver/gold output caps. 

Quote:
Russian FT3 0,22uF is a great cap, very hard to fit, but sound improvement is worth the effort. I replaced all 47uF with Black Gates FK, to my eras they are the best, but Elna Silmic RFS Electroltic is a second best. Ignat suggested to replace one of 47uF(marked on the photo) with higher value like 100uF. I will check it by the next occasion. Now I'm concentrated on the 470uF behind the big output caps (Havana strongly reacts to its change), ordered Elna Silmic RFS 470uF 35V, I have BG FK one and looking for something extremely good yet. Ordered also FT3 0,1uF, will try to replace C5 with it.  (now I have no C5 at all, removed it)

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,479 of 2,680

Quote:

RE: Mundorf silver/gold output caps?

Can any of you guys who have modded your Havana with these caps comment on the general differences verses the stock MHDT labs caps?

I'm not a modder ... but I *am* considering the fairly simple mod of replacing the main MHDT output caps with something else ... (actually, I might get someone else to do it for me) ... LOL ...

So any thoughts re: sound quality differences re: the Mundorf silver/gold?

Thanks in advance...

.j

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,480 of 2,680

Quote:
RE: Mundorf silver/gold output caps?

Can any of you guys who have modded your Havana with these caps comment on the general differences verses the stock MHDT labs caps?

I'm not a modder ... but I *am* considering the fairly simple mod of replacing the main MHDT output caps with something else ... (actually, I might get someone else to do it for me) ... LOL ...

So any thoughts re: sound quality differences re: the Mundorf silver/gold?

Thanks in advance...

.j

The Mundorf silver/gold has better articulation, better separation of instruments than the stock cap, it has a little creamy texture,
poor quality recordings are more tasty. Supper choice for classics and jazz.

If you decide to purchase them, I can send you the best bendix for a test if you like of course.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #1,481 of 2,680

Quote:

The Mundorf silver/gold has better articulation, better separation of instruments than the stock cap, it has a little creamy texture,
worse recorded songs are more tasty. Supper choice for classics and jazz.

If you decide to purchase them, I can send you the best bendix for a test if you like of course

I might be interested in trying the Bendix (although, I've owned several NOS 6385's and 2C51's and am fairly familiar with them; however, in conjunction with the Mundorf's, I have not) ...

Anyway ... the Mundorf's are fairly pricey little beasts I see and I'll be waiting until I get my new Shure SE535's payed off before investing in any caps for the Havana...

Thanks for the comments on the caps, btw ... if and when I upgrade the output caps, my main objective will be to find a piece that improves on what I think is just a slight bit of "looseness" in the bass of the default MHDT Labs caps. Would like to tighten the bass up a bit for the most part ... better dynamics, of course, would be nice too ... 

I'll hit you guys up if and when.

Rock.

.j

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,482 of 2,680

Quote:
..... my main objective will be to find a piece that improves on what I think is just a slight bit of "looseness" in the bass of the default MHDT Labs caps. Would like to tighten the bass up a bit for the most part ... better dynamics, of course, would be nice too ... 

I'll hit you guys up if and when.

Rock.

.j

We can obtain considerably better dynamics only by upgrading the powersupply. We have to use stronger separate transformers (powersupply) and the bass will be tighten up and fast,
this upgrade needs separate chassis.

We can "slightly" improve dynamic using higher values for certain caps.
I'll keep you informed.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,483 of 2,680

Quote:
 Ignat(niamex) suggested to replace one of 47uF (marked on the photo) with higher value like 100uF. I will check it by the next occasion. Now I'm concentrated on the 470uF cap behind the big output caps (Havana strongly reacts to its change), ordered Elna Silmic RFS 470uF 35V, I have BG FK one and looking for something extremely good yet. Ordered also FT3 0,1uF, will try to replace C5 with it.  (now I have no C5 at all, removed it)

edit:

BG have a long time "burn in", 100 hours or longer

Frankly speaking it was firstly  suggested by someone in the previous posts /I have quoted him/ but the best result in my case was after I simply placed there one general purpose / mean very simple one/ 100 uF.100V in parallel - on the bottom part of the board. Now I have ordered an ELNA Silmic II for there. Be careful - in parallel the value will be the sum of them but the voltage is shared - therefore you need 100 V for the second one.
Cheers,
Ignat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back