MHDT Havana DAC
Nov 5, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #1,488 of 2,680
Dynobot,
I found the transformer meets the Havana specs. It's a superior R-Core type, it should be better than the stock toroid.
This one is appropriate dimentions, you should fit it with no problem.
I ordered that transformer and expect further sound improvement, even better dynamics, we'll see when it comes.

The other variant would be 2 or 3 separate transformers R-Cores or toroids. (much more powerful)
(I found them also), in this case the improvemnt of dymanics and bass control
should be obvious but it needs separate chassis due to dimentions.

The best trans. is C-Core type, Audio Note uses it in the highest DACs or preamps,
they are very hard to make and very expensive.

on the photo R-core type, also very good one. (will be trying this in two weeks time)

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #1,492 of 2,680
This is my first post here. I have worked my way through most of this thread and believe I have a good plan for my Havana. I'm working on locating a PCM56P-K chip. I do have basic soldering skills and minimal experience with simple boards, but have never worked with a chip like this. So, newbie question - What is the best way to desolder the chip without damaging anything? What equipment (besides the soldering iron) would make things easier?

Also, I've taken the cover off the Havana, but how is the board removed? Just unscrew the bottom?

Thanks very much. Looking forward to getting to work. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #1,493 of 2,680

Quote:
This is my first post here. I have worked my way through most of this thread and believe I have a good plan for my Havana. I'm working on locating a PCM56P-K chip. I do have basic soldering skills and minimal experience with simple boards, but have never worked with a chip like this. So, newbie question - What is the best way to desolder the chip without damaging anything? What equipment (besides the soldering iron) would make things easier?

Also, I've taken the cover off the Havana, but how is the board removed? Just unscrew the bottom?

Chips PCM56P-L are in sockets, you do not need to desolder anything, just take them out with care.
To take the board out, unscrew the bottom, the front panel and the rca connectors on the back of the DAC.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,494 of 2,680

Quote:
Chips PCM56P-L are in sockets, you do not need to desolder anything, just take them out with care.
To take the board out, unscrew the bottom, the front panel and the rca connectors on the back of the DAC.

Thanks. That's what I suspected for the board.

For the chips, I should have been more specific. I am referring to removing them from an old donor CD player. If all those pins are soldered in, do I need some type of solder sucker? I'm just not sure of the best way to proceed. Thanks for any input.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #1,495 of 2,680
I got my Japan manufactured PCM56P-K on Ebay from this vendor.  Specify you only want Japan chips.  Huge difference over everything else out there.  I tried them all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-BB-TI-DIP-PCM56P-PCM56PK-PCM56P-K-PCM56P-J-PCM56P-L-/250826335316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a666a2454

Quote:

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #1,496 of 2,680
Nov 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,497 of 2,680
I just today received a review sample of the newly released MHDT Stockholm DAC ...

So in a few weeks I should have a fairly extensive review done in comparison to the Havana...I'm doubtful that they will perform that much differently but I *am* curious as to how the higher bit depth/resolution capabilities of the Stockholm will sound.

If you haven't read about it yet, here's a link to the Stockholm info:

http://aloaudio.com/stockholm-dac-from-mhdt-labs.html

FYI.

Rock.

.j

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,498 of 2,680
For those interested in 470uF replacement, Elna silmic II RFS 35V is a genius cap there. (better than BG FK)
My mod is about to end, The Havana sounds perfect, when I first listened to that unmodded DAC,
the piano sounded horrible, now the piano sounds PERFECT,
fully holographic sound stage with a beautiful timbre.
Now you can count how many violins play in the orchestra.

The only transformer is left to be checked.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,499 of 2,680
Which one is this?  Can I trouble you for a picture?  I think I am at the end of my mods as well. Thanks!

Quote:
For those interested in 470uF replacement, Elna silmic II RFS 35V is a genius cap there. (better than BG FK)
My mod is about to end, The Havana sounds perfect, when I first listened to that unmodded DAC,
the piano sounded horrible, now the piano sounds PERFECT,
fully holographic sound stage with a beautiful timbre.
Now you can count how many violins play in the orchestra.

The only transformer is left to be checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back