MHDT Havana DAC
Nov 12, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,502 of 2,680

Quote:
I just today received a review sample of the newly released MHDT Stockholm DAC ...

So in a few weeks I should have a fairly extensive review done in comparison to the Havana...I'm doubtful that they will perform that much differently but I *am* curious as to how the higher bit depth/resolution capabilities of the Stockholm will sound.

If you haven't read about it yet, here's a link to the Stockholm info:

http://aloaudio.com/stockholm-dac-from-mhdt-labs.html

FYI.

Rock.

.j

I look forward to your review of the new Stockholm. I was just about to buy an Havana and just found out about the new Stockholm now I am thinking I will get the Stockholm but I haven't seen any review of it yet. I am hoping it may be a nice upgrade from the Havana.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,503 of 2,680
My new chinese transformer came home today.
It looks pretty nice, not like a chinese junk. I prepared it to installation.

Voltages are very close to the stock one:

Mesurements on secondary circuits are (no load) :

The stock:   34,8V - 17,40V;   20,70V - 10,35V;
The R-core:   37,40V - 18,70V;     22V - 11V;
They are very close, aren't they?

The Havana's powersupply uses positive adjustable regulator, so it'll be properly fed anyway.
I'll get and install the plugs to R-core like the stock transformer has in order to switch them quickly for better comparison.

We'll see what happens.

I hope there will be no fire on the house :))))

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #1,505 of 2,680

Quote:
I look forward to your review of the new Stockholm. I was just about to buy an Havana and just found out about the new Stockholm now I am thinking I will get the Stockholm but I haven't seen any review of it yet. I am hoping it may be a nice upgrade from the Havana.

It's going to be a bit (maybe some time before 2012, but not too sure) before I actually do a serious sit down comparison/review with both the Havana and the Stockholm (stock versions btw and both will be reviewed with JW WE396A tubes).

I want the Stockholm to have at least a few hundred hours play time on it. And so my roommate and I have been taking turns "burning it in" (cause I don't know if it makes a difference or not and I lean towards covering all my bases). 

Anyway, preliminary listening with the Stockholm (and only a few minutes at this point) have me placing it right around the same sonic signature of the Havana... smooth, musical, and perhaps just a bit more "extended" in the highs (but not in an ugly way at all), plenty of detail retrieval and super involving (running out of adjectives so I'll digress and save it for later) :wink: .

Once I have done a proper review, I'll make a new thread and post a link here.

But if you needed to purchase right away? And *specifically*  if your personal needs involve "asynchronous USB" and "24bits/192kHz" input? Then I'd just go with the Stockholm. Myself? I'm quite content with the 16bit/96khz capabilities of the Havana and I don't do USB, so; but I know a lot of other folks want more in regards to both...so if that's your cup of tea, then the Stockholm might be a better choice.

Regardless, the price difference is fairly nominal between the two and I think granular user preferences will decide who buys what.

More later...

Rock.

.j

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,507 of 2,680

Quote:
I installed the Mundorf .22UF yesterday and let it burn in overnight.  WOW.  Amazing!!!!

When your acquainted with the changes could you share a few thoughts? Those are the caps I'm considering purchasing to install in my own Havana; any impact on the bass? What else?

Thanks in advance...

.joel

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #1,508 of 2,680
Fortunately the house is not on fire :wink:,

I temporarily installed the R-core transformer, I'm shocked by the sound improvement,
Mundorf .22 upgrade is nothing compared to R-core.

This baby causes jaw dropping effect. WOW,  EVERYTHING is much improved,

(separation, air, timbre, kick, etc...)

I'm extremely close to real performance quality.

I was to stop upgrading the DAC,  NO WAY !! :wink:

Frankly speaking the MHDT could source a better transformer for this DAC. The stock one is very poor.

This is one of the most important upgrades for Havana in my opinion. !!!!!!

Lionel, I'll give .22 Mundorf silver/gold a second chance next time.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #1,509 of 2,680
What are the pros/cons of these tube-DAC hybrids over a purely solid-state DAC? Including the advantages a solid state would have too please. (I am not trolling, if you fear it may start a troll war, then please just pm me the answer.)

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,511 of 2,680
Where did you source the transformer?  Looking forward to see how you install it physically.  Are you planning a separate chassis?

Quote:
Fortunately the house is not on fire :wink:,

I temporarily installed the R-core transformer, I'm shocked by the sound improvement,
Mundorf .22 upgrade is nothing compared to R-core.

This baby causes jaw dropping effect. WOW,  EVERYTHING is much improved,

(separation, air, timbre, kick, etc...)

I'm extremely close to real performance quality.

I was to stop upgrading the DAC,  NO WAY !! :wink:

Frankly speaking the MHDT could source a better transformer for this DAC. The stock one is very poor.

This is one of the most important upgrades for Havana in my opinion. !!!!!!

Lionel, I'll give .22 Mundorf silver/gold a second chance next time.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,512 of 2,680

Quote:
Where did you source the transformer?  Looking forward to see how you install it physically.  Are you planning a separate chassis?

I sourced it on ebay. I'll try to fit it in the Havana,t it seems it shouldn't be any problems. (For the time being I'm enjoying the new sound)

I'm planning a separate chassis when I separate digital and analogue sections in the nearest future. (will need two or maybe there tranformers)

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,513 of 2,680
Hi guys, I'm new here. Just sigend up for this great thread (but far too long :wink:. I've got a question: Has anyone compared the Havana to a PS Audio Digital Link III? 

The thing is, I've just gotten myself the DLIII, but that was before I learned about this little puppy... I should say that I have some experience with affordable DACs (compared 5 or 6 DACs before going with the Eastern Electric Minimax a year ago), but just never tried a R/2R NOS DAC. Could it be that they are a little bit similar to the DLIII? In the various reviews I've read about the DLIII one aspect always was the "analog-like sound", musicality and so on. Just like a NOS, no?

Actually, despite the DLIII, I'm somewhat eager to try the Havana, or more generally any good NOS DAC. But I'm not sure I'm really a NOS guy. What would be a reasonable way to find out? Get one of the supposedly best (Havana) for a first try, or maybe start with some cheaper NOS variant to get a feel, for example the Valab TDA1543 Luxury Edition (or the Chameleon) from ebay? Anyone experience with those, at best in comparison to the Havana?

What confuses me the most is that I really like the DLIII - and it's not even burned in yet! The Minimax just pales in comparison, well, in every aspect I'd say. You know, I'm afraid the Havana is more like a step sidewards, instead of upwards. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,514 of 2,680

Quote:
What are the pros/cons of these tube-DAC hybrids over a purely solid-state DAC? Including the advantages a solid state would have too please. (I am not trolling, if you fear it may start a troll war, then please just pm me the answer.)

My main reason for using the Havana (other than simply sounding "just right" to my ear) is the ability to tailor the sound via tube choice; also, I chose a NOS R2/R design as I was looking first for a very "musical" source that put emphasis on sounding like music instead of "sound effects," while still yielding excellent dynamics and detail retrieval. I was also attracted to the fact that it's a fully discrete circuit, incorporating no OPAMPS in the signal path, which, having owned the Paradisea DAC before the Havana, I can say makes a real difference in clarity of signal and overall "cleanliness" of sound...

Otherwise, I think the only differences between solid state and tube DACs will revolve strictly around the possibilities/differences introduced by the tube stage being present or not.

There's probably greatly more differences between DACs which are non-oversampling vs. those that employ oversampling, filters and the like...I mean, moreso than the question of pure solid state vs. solid state w/ tube buffer...as, in the end, the Havana is simply a solid state DAC with a fairly simple tube *buffer* in the signal path...really not that big of a difference other than the changes you might introduce by tube choice.

Best.

.j

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,515 of 2,680

Quote:
Loserica,
You can replace all Nichicons with Elna. (Havana will sound quite different after the mod but nobody knows how),
I suppose it should sound better, but you can achieve much more with Havana's construction mixing the caps.

Vcaps OIMP are good caps and only good, but if you're looking for extreme sound quality,
they are not perfect solution.
Vcaps CuTF and TFTF are extremely expensive ( Vcaps CuTF 1uF - $486 each - ($2000 output set), Vcaps 2uF TFTF $459 each($920 set)), I bet they are not better than Mundorfs top of the line which are cheaper  - $100 each ($200 set))

I found the Havana had some key caps which should be replaced with care.

Digital section's caps, powersupply's caps, some of the foil caps etc....
(hundreds moves to achieve satisfaction)

Next weekend I'm replacing the stock 0,22uF foil cap with:
Candidates to that place are:
Mundorf silver/gold,
FT-3 Russian cap,
Jupiter yellow vintage tone.

Will send photos and my impressions about that operation.

Finally came the long awaited day!

I attached some pictures and I will change them with some better quality, if I have better light condition. As you can see, I chose Elna and Auricap capacitors and I replaced rca plug with bnc conector as I said. A move which is clearly imposed. "Hot" impressions are quite positive, in a word "WOW" sounds great!! I am very happy with the result: sound image is now "opened", more medium and high texture, transparency and natural playback, superior sound detail. High are detailed and refined. Piano, saxophone, guitar, violin, voice etc, sounds more natural. Sound image is smooth and coherent, stage presence, excellent separation of instruments... It's amazing how much has changed the sound!
smile.gif

PS: Now I can say that Havana sounds excellent with Legato, but anyway , I think that Havana is now another "Havana", much better, much refined, brings a "touch" of high-end...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back