MHDT Havana DAC
Dec 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,531 of 2,680

Quote:
If you take the time and read the thread all your questions will be answered with either pics or words.

Slow down and read, these mods took months to come up with, you can at least spend a couple of days reading.

Thank you Mister fathead, for your interest.

I really believe that you want to tell me something, but you are telling me something that I already know, otherwise I didn't posts my questions.
confused.gif

Sorry for my answer to you, but I'm only interested in helpful comments.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,533 of 2,680
Be careful. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

If you like to have a better bass which should be tighter and faster after trans upgrade, I'll tell you which cap else to replace.

Check exactly the voltages and do not mix up the connectors! (9-0-9 and 15-0-15)

Quote:
Robert,

The transformer arrived today!!! I'll let you know how the upgrade goes.

Lionel

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,534 of 2,680
Go ahead and give me the cap info so I can get it on order. Thanks. 

Quote:
Be careful. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

If you like to have a better bass which should be tighter and faster after trans upgrade, I'll tell you which cap else to replace.

Check exactly the voltages and do not mix up the connectors! (9-0-9 and 15-0-15)

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,538 of 2,680
Fathead,
Congratulations, R-Core is superior to toroid. It is normal the sound quality improves when we feed the DAC with better quality current.
When you replace power filtering caps with better ones, you'll hear further
improvement. Good Luck.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,539 of 2,680
Still waiting for my connectors to arrive, looking forward to the improvements. 

Quote:
Fathead,
Congratulations, R-Core is superior to toroid. It is normal the sound quality improves when we feed the DAC with better quality current.
When you replace power filtering caps with better ones, you'll hear further
improvement. Good Luck.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,541 of 2,680
Just a quick note comparing the SE and balanced Havanas (and break from all the tweaker noise : ))

I was looking for info on here about the differences between the SE and the balanced version of the Havana and in the end ordered the balanced version blind from Aphroditecu39 then AB'ed the two outputs. Here's what I found: in this case, balanced is better. I'm using a Primare A30.1, which is truly a balanced mono design, with Audioquest King Cobra in both applications (SE and balanced), so YMMV depending on your amp/integrated and cables, but here the balanced Havana is far quieter than the SE. The background is significantly blacker, the overall image is fuller, clearer, and without grainI by no means would have thought much of the difference if I hadn't heard it. Anyways, I'm impressed and I wasn't really prepared to be. I'd thought of it as a harmless experiment, thinking if the difference was negligible I'd just sell the balanced version and keep my SE Havana. But I'm keeping the balanced version. The difference in the end is significant enough to me to warrant the extra cost.  Anyone else have any experience with the Balanced yet? Just curious what others' experiences have been like.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,542 of 2,680

Quote:
Just a quick note comparing the SE and balanced Havanas (and break from all the tweaker noise : ))

I was looking for info on here about the differences between the SE and the balanced version of the Havana and in the end ordered the balanced version blind from Aphroditecu39 then AB'ed the two outputs. Here's what I found: in this case, balanced is better. I'm using a Primare A30.1, which is truly a balanced mono design, with Audioquest King Cobra in both applications (SE and balanced), so YMMV depending on your amp/integrated and cables, but here the balanced Havana is far quieter than the SE. The background is significantly blacker, the overall image is fuller, clearer, and without grainI by no means would have thought much of the difference if I hadn't heard it. Anyways, I'm impressed and I wasn't really prepared to be. I'd thought of it as a harmless experiment, thinking if the difference was negligible I'd just sell the balanced version and keep my SE Havana. But I'm keeping the balanced version. The difference in the end is significant enough to me to warrant the extra cost.  Anyone else have any experience with the Balanced yet? Just curious what others' experiences have been like.

In my personal opinion the balanced Havana should sound a little better that SE, it has better chips "J" not "L" grade, different construction.
But it is still made of cheap components (cheapest in the market).
I'm sure the sound change doesn't justify the price difference.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #1,543 of 2,680

Quote:
The balanced version also used a Silver Mica Cap, were as the SE version does not.

That alone is enough to increase fidelity.

Would love to hear a fully upgraded Balanced Havana.

Also it would be nice it Mdht would sale the SE Havana as a kit or at least offer the choice.

They could offer the only PCB and chassis - nothing else.
You're right, one silver mica is enough to change the sound significantly especially the one you changed.

They could disclose the schematic, I do not really understand what they are affraid of, copying the Havana is not any problem without it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #1,544 of 2,680

Quote:
Okay, the ELNA Silmic II caps came today for the power supply.

Got them in without a hitch. I will let them burn in over night but so far...oh the clarity...

Some how I feel like I won't be satisfied until I have replaced every cap and resistor in this thing.  I am already looking at Audio Note resistors.

This modding thing is addictive, and fun.
bigsmile_face.gif

Fathead,
Replace six resistors around the tube socket - you'll feel much better, great improvement.....
step by step..., the fidelity increase.
biggrin.gif

You have so many components to uprade left and so much fun before you.

Purchase shinkoh tantalum resistors - they are better.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,545 of 2,680

Quote:
Okay, the ELNA Silmic II caps came today for the power supply.

Got them in without a hitch. I will let them burn in over night but so far...oh the clarity...

Some how I feel like I won't be satisfied until I have replaced every cap and resistor in this thing.  I am already looking at Audio Note resistors.

This modding thing is addictive, and fun.
bigsmile_face.gif

Rush for these - very good price - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290638727086&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back