METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #886 of 943
It’s a pretty weird number too. 22 for 2022 would kinda make sense?
Since the marketing of MMR is around Alchemy I think possibly it could be they chose 23 out of some relevance to that. But its not like 22 wouldn't make more sense as there are 22 letters in Hebrew for example , and Thummim is a Hebrew word. 🙄

But a price of 4500 usd , same as OG , could indicate that the performance hasn't been improved enough to call for a price bump?
Especially weird when you consider that an Eletech cable has also been upgraded to include Sterling Silver. 🤔

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #887 of 943
Did any of the other 23 Thummim LE buyers end up finding there way here? I'd be shocked if I was the only LE owner here on head-fi.

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #888 of 943
Having an opportunity to buy a Thummim, I am so torn on this one, reviews online seem to be all over the place. Two videos I have just watched state they are crazy uncomfortable to wear, and is what is most concerning to me. I like how they are the opposite of reference sounding, I recently had the Sony IER-Z1R and the bass out of those was next level, and I enjoyed them a good deal so I don't gravitate towards reference generally. I tend to find reference meaning dull and lifeless, and the MMRs are apparently the polar opposite of that which sounds perfect as I enjoy lively, fun IEMs with a good deal of low end. One part of me says what the hell, go for it, the other part of me feels it is unlikely to be too uncomfortable and awkward for daily use. I think I need to sleep on it :)

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #889 of 943
Having an opportunity to buy a Thummim, I am so torn on this one, reviews online seem to be all over the place. Two videos I have just watched state they are crazy uncomfortable to wear, and is what is most concerning to me. I like how they are the opposite of reference sounding, I recently had the Sony IER-Z1R and the bass out of those was next level, and I enjoyed them a good deal so I don't gravitate towards reference generally. I tend to find reference meaning dull and lifeless, and the MMRs are apparently the polar opposite of that which sounds perfect as I enjoy lively, fun IEMs with a good deal of low end. One part of me says what the hell, go for it, the other part of me feels it is unlikely to be too uncomfortable and awkward for daily use. I think I need to sleep on it :)
I think most owners have had a very similar thought process prior to purchasing these, I have never found them uncomfortable, do they stick out a bit more than I would like, well yes they are never going to hide away.
Are they worth a punt, I would say yes, given a good amount of juice they are quite spectacular imo. Good Luck!!

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #890 of 943
If you want a dark warm signature with amazing low end and mids, then Thummim it is for you. I love it for pop, acoustic music. But I had a terrible time with the fit, so never bothered purchasing it after the tour!

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #891 of 943
I think most owners have had a very similar thought process prior to purchasing these, I have never found them uncomfortable, do they stick out a bit more than I would like, well yes they are never going to hide away.
Are they worth a punt, I would say yes, given a good amount of juice they are quite spectacular imo. Good Luck!!
+1 matches my experience.
Scales with amping.
Fit no issue.
I was scared to try in the first place.
Love it for trio acoustic jazz particularly.

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #893 of 943
My pair is now on its way to @marcus2704
I can totally see why some can have fit issues, which luckily hasn't been the case for me.

The Thum is the only IEM so far I bought after spending a grand total of 5 minutes with. It just screamed "buy me" in a way that didn't allow for any disagreement.
While the stock Plato cable is good, I find the sound signature a little on the tame and boring side. The Iliad elevates that special Thummim sauce even further, perhaps a level or two more than my ears could agree with (made classical music and folk, among others, sound a little too exaggerated);

The Aeneid was where it's at for me with none of the negatives and all of the positives of Aeneid. I really recommend this cable pairing.
Suffice to say, I cannot wait for its successor!

I hope MMR is reading this:wink:

Apr 23, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #894 of 943
Thummim SE (08/23) is very satisfying. Big leap from the original version.

Attachments

• Thummim.jpg
    Thummim.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #895 of 943
In what way is SE better?

1Year ago.
April 24th 2021 I had this Thummim for demo before purchasing my own, I had also just purchased the C9 still in the box. Subtle in the background of the shot. Had no idea when this shot was taken that the Thummim would have permanent residence for me attached to the C9.

006ABC62-B51A-4514-A051-59B0E72B92B6.jpeg

Apr 24, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #896 of 943
Im interested in Thum LE. pleaae elaborate more mate 😊

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #897 of 943
At CanJam I did not really care for the SE. Unfortunately the original was not there for me to compare the two directly, but I did have the Thummim for a bit in the past. My advice would be to wait for the new flagship ( Thummim replacement) which they did say was being developed.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #898 of 943
In what way is SE better?

1Year ago.
April 24th 2021 I had this Thummim for demo before purchasing my own, I had also just purchased the C9 still in the box. Subtle in the background of the shot. Had no idea when this shot was taken that the Thummim would have permanent residence for me attached to the C9.

Sorry for late response. I was out of town.

In my opinion, Thummim LE addresses its predecessor's bass that I find overwhelming. Now it has a well-controlled amount and no longer feels out of place. Mids have a full and nicely layered body. Treble is pretty much the same as the original version. Sounstage and detail retrival are still very good. It is a keeper.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #899 of 943
Thummim LE retains the original version's holographic soundstage. Detail retrival is still very good. I find bass has a well-controlled amount of body, no longer overwhelming like its predecessor. Mids are sweet with full and nicely layered body. Treble is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #900 of 943
Sorry for late response. I was out of town.

In my opinion, Thummim LE addresses its predecessor's bass that I find overwhelming. Now it has a well-controlled amount and no longer feels out of place. Mids have a full and nicely layered body. Treble is pretty much the same as the original version. Sounstage and detail retrival are still very good. It is a keeper.
Thummim LE retains the original version's holographic soundstage. Detail retrival is still very good. I find bass has a well-controlled amount of body, no longer overwhelming like its predecessor. Mids are sweet with full and nicely layered body. Treble is pretty much the same.
I like the bass being so forward, makes the Thummim far from an all rounder for me, the way you both describe the LE seems like the magic for me may have been diminished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back