METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #856 of 943
Never heard them but the look and packaging is the best I have seen an iem have.

Very interesting design and they look better to me in person than the photos of it suggested. The build is exceptional, right up my alley! The sound is bass focused out of the box, but with burn-in on the cable I expect things to even out. The Eletech cable is very nicely made and non-microphonic. I’m happy. 😁

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #857 of 943
I'm last on the tour list, just received the MMR Thummim (oh how I missed them) and the Homunculus(thanks Walt!) and the later didn't get the love they deserve. For jazz and classical these are phenomenal IEMs!

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #858 of 943
Very interesting design and they look better to me in person than the photos of it suggested. The build is exceptional, right up my alley! The sound is bass focused out of the box, but with burn-in on the cable I expect things to even out. The Eletech cable is very nicely made and non-microphonic. I’m happy. 😁
I'm looking forward to more impressions. They look almost too good not to own them...

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #859 of 943
I'm looking forward to more impressions. They look almost too good not to own them...

I did some extended listening last night, and oh boy, this set is really really good to my ears. I’ll go into more detail soon, but the imaging on the Balmung is exceptional, perhaps better than any of my other sets. I sat last night in wonder of its prowess.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #860 of 943
Looks like the discounted offer recently was meant to clear out the stock... The Balmung is no longer for sale at Musicteck..

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #861 of 943
Has anyone other then myself paired their Thummim with Pw Audio Metropolis 1950 cable?

I still am amazed how well it suits Thummim.

And now , after 3 years of Thummim being out I think it is a rather unappreciated iem.
I am hard-pressed to believe another iem can portray timbar , texture and soundstage with such transients and detail; Being so technical and musical.

Jan 24, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #862 of 943
Has anyone other then myself paired their Thummim with Pw Audio Metropolis 1950 cable?

I still am amazed how well it suits Thummim.

And now , after 3 years of Thummim being out I think it is a rather unappreciated iem.
I am hard-pressed to believe another iem can portray timbar , texture and soundstage with such transients and detail; Being so technical and musical.

Having an opportunity to listen to it again, I regret selling my set; they are very underappreciated. I've never heard the Tralli or the upper-end UM offerings, but among their peers, the Odin, Sultan, Elysium, they give zero ground.

Jan 24, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #863 of 943
Having an opportunity to listen to it again, I regret selling my set; they are very underappreciated. I've never heard the Tralli or the upper-end UM offerings, but among their peers, the Odin, Sultan, Elysium, they give zero ground.
I only did a demo of Odin and Sultan and they did not grab me at all. The Thummim and Elysium on the other hand did so much so I eventually acquired them. Thummim I still use often the Elysium has given way to Isabellae in my daily use at night.

That said if I was to spend more time with Odin or Sultan they would likely grow on me. And the above is just me there are plenty that love Odin.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #864 of 943
I only did a demo of Odin and Sultan and they did not grab me at all. The Thummim and Elysium on the other hand did so much so I eventually acquired them. Thummim I still use often the Elysium has given way to Isabellae in my daily use at night.

That said if I was to spend more time with Odin or Sultan they would likely grow on me. And the above is just me there are plenty that love Odin.
Just curious how you spread the use of your collection of IEMs given you have four that are of the highest tier :)
Do you go by genre , mood or?

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #865 of 943
Just curious how you spread the use of your collection of IEMs given you have four that are of the highest tier :)
Do you go by genre , mood or?
Morning, Thummim sitting down with tea and the amp C9 in tube pre-amp mode which lifts the set a lot, still has some bass leakage into mids though it is a little less to my ears with the C9, and that extra color is great anyway in the morning particularly for acoustic bass pulling that instrument in-front of all else.

Daily driver DAP in top pocket, flip flopping between Traillii and Mason FS, Traillii is great to me for all genres, Mason is great with strings for example, so depends on mood I guess, there is definite brain burn switching between them takes a few hours to make the switch mentally for me before I re-appreciate the set.

Night Time need something with excellent mids, low profile fit, light, easy to use cable, lower volume level listening. Was for a long time Elysium for this until I added the Isabellae and I have been using that one at night last 4 months. Eventually I will need to flip back to Elysium at night for a while. Using DAP M8 for this as it adds more warmth.

That sums it up.

Edit: help shed some light, the order I list the IEMs in is the order I purchased them in, over a three year process. U12T was the foundation for me to start learning how to hear IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #866 of 943
Morning, Thummim sitting down with tea and the amp C9 in tube pre-amp mode which lifts the set a lot, still has some bass leakage into mids though it is a little less to my ears with the C9, and that extra color is great anyway in the morning particularly for acoustic bass pulling that instrument in-front of all else.

Daily driver DAP in top pocket, flip flopping between Traillii and Mason FS, Traillii is great to me for all genres, Mason is great with strings for example, so depends on mood I guess, there is definite brain burn switching between them takes a few hours to make the switch mentally for me before I re-appreciate the set.

Night Time need something with excellent mids, low profile fit, light, easy to use cable, lower volume level listening. Was for a long time Elysium for this until I added the Isabellae and I have been using that one at night last 4 months. Eventually I will need to flip back to Elysium at night for a while. Using DAP M8 for this as it adds more warmth.

That sums it up.

Edit: help shed some light, the order I list the IEMs in is the order I purchased them in, over a three year process. U12T was the foundation for me to start learning how to hear IEMs.
Thank you for the insight :)

I guess a routine like that would make most days just awsome xD

How do you find the scaling capabilities with all of them?

The highest end thing I tried with Thummim was dx300max and they scaled rather well. Very noticeable to hear the upgrade from dx312.

Also , as I noted previously, the bass leaking is absolutely a gone issue paired with Metropolis 1950s.
I've tried Iliad with with Thummim and that didn't not help the bass, perhaps reduces the weight but increased the quantity of it. Also pulled the sound back a little which I think takes away from what Thummim was intended to do.
But the PW Audio cable eleveats every aspect of performance and solves the bass spill issue.
I would wholeheartedly recommend the pairing!

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #867 of 943
Thank you for the insight :)

I guess a routine like that would make most days just awsome xD

How do you find the scaling capabilities with all of them?

The highest end thing I tried with Thummim was dx300max and they scaled rather well. Very noticeable to hear the upgrade from dx312.

Also , as I noted previously, the bass leaking is absolutely a gone issue paired with Metropolis 1950s.
I've tried Iliad with with Thummim and that didn't not help the bass, perhaps reduces the weight but increased the quantity of it. Also pulled the sound back a little which I think takes away from what Thummim was intended to do.
But the PW Audio cable eleveats every aspect of performance and solves the bass spill issue.
I would wholeheartedly recommend the pairing!
Thanks for the cable suggestion.

Probably not the best one to answer the scalability question. I have found the C9 amp does lift the sets with DDs more so than those that are BA based. Though all the IEMs I have do perform differently with the C9 some with slighter differences than others. I have found my DD sets seem like they have greater scalability potential.

For my taste R2R pairs really well with BA sets, and warmer tilted Sigma DAPs with DD sets.

The closest I have to desk top is the Teac UD505 which I use for the Clear headphone, for IEMs I use that only for burn in.
It is not a very well known DAC and headphone amplifier. I bought that gear before I started down the IEM/DAP fork in the audio road, and since taking that path that system almost never sees use.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #868 of 943
Proud new owner of a Thummim here :) - in my ears now and am excited to experience what everyone has been doing so for a bit!

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #869 of 943
Proud new owner of a Thummim here :) - in my ears now and am excited to experience what everyone has been doing so for a bit!
Try a copper cable (I have a PW Monile) with the iFi go blu and you are in for a treat! It is my daily driver and has kept me company on many hiking trips here in Hawaii. Enjoy!

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #870 of 943
Try a copper cable (I have a PW Monile) with the iFi go blu and you are in for a treat! It is my daily driver and has kept me company on many hiking trips here in Hawaii. Enjoy!

Sure thing - will do, I have an Eletech Fortitude here. Going to try it with the Go Blu later tonight, glad you love the pairing and it is treating you well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back