METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Oct 7, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #316 of 943
In search of a endgame IEM here. Nice to hear that the fitment isn't an issue, im intrigued on the Thummim. It's very unique - just worrying about the fit.
Where in London are you based?

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #317 of 943
Hi friends.

Now that the MMR Pack is traveling to the next guy I would like to make a comment on the long weekend of testing with this fantastic material. Since there are many and some very professional Thummin model reviews in which I agree with most of them I will make a comment of my personal opinions since each ear and the likes of each are very personal.
I will not stop at specific technical details or frequencies for this are the fantastic professional reviews and the manufacturer's website.

HOMUNCULUS

Honestly I didn't give it much importance. Not because it is not a great IEM, very balanced and for my taste easy to hear with a great quality in all its frequencies and for my ears more comfortable than the Thummin. It's just that Thummin impressed me so much that my mind wanted to try it over and over again.
Returning to the little one, I find it a great IEM that has everything, a jewel in quality and design, above all it has a great balance and very good tests and for its price it is placed in a range with great competition in which it must shine for its character and exclusivity.

THUMMIN

It's something different from everything I've tried before. My first impression of listening after changing them from my Fourte Noir was WOOW....
Simply stunning, explosive and above all super addictive. First of all I want to comment that I'm a little tired of neutral equipment. For this already I have 2 speaker equipment at home (one all valves and other solid state). Obviously I like to listen music as it has been recorded. I'm a big concert fan and I'm always looking for that tone of live music. But friends I use Iems for my continuous work trips and walks and when I wear them I look for something different, something that excites me, more explosive and emotional than my home teams. That's why I really enjoyed the Thummin
Highly addictive sound and for my spectacular taste with vocal musical and modern genres, alternative rock,pop. Electronics....etc. You never want to get rid of them and keep listening to music and more music. Totally addictive.
The Thummim is a W-shaped earphone, surely on the musical and engaging side. It features a robust sub-bass response followed by a full mid-bass. The mid appears well counterbalanced by the fuller bass alongside a centre midrange bump that introduces a strong vocal presence and size. The top-end is crisp and detail dense with pleasing instrument body. What brings it together is the spheroid soundstage which makes it a thoroughly immersive listen.
The result is an open, almost cavernous soundstage presentation that provides a convincing sense of immersion and atmosphere. Imaging is enjoyable too, not perfectly linear and balanced but with sharp directional cues and a very clean transient response. The W-shaped tuning retains high tri-frequency separation alongside strong technical ability throughout which permits defined and easily isolated notes. The Thummim is tuned in such a fashion that small details almost stand out so it is not technically the most accurate but certainly tuned for
Thummim obviously is not an earphone with mass appeal though its sound I feel will be easily likeable by many. It is a product for the discerning listener wanting a thoroughly engaging and enveloping sound with a design amazing.
They're wonderful, though not with all kinds of music. With classic are not my favorites but with modern genres like alternative rock,pop, electronics...... etc I didn't hear anything better even in headphones.
For my ears Thummin are little uncomfortable and too big but wonderful sound but and their magic sound forget all.
Curiously I like them more with platon cable than with the Iliad which is a little too much. I think they are optimized fo platon cable.
At first I found it difficult to find the best tips for my hearing. After trying spinfit, final audio, simio... Etc. I also provided my Custom silicone tips got from Custon Art for my Fourte Noir. I must admit, I have a slightly delicate auditory ward hence my comfort issues. In the end I enjoyed a Spiraldots T- M . So I took a walk and I was not uncomfortable.
I enjoyed so much with this taste
I must say that I am very grateful to mmvRAZ for the opportunity to participate in this tour.

Thanks so much all

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #318 of 943
Hi friends.

Now that the MMR Pack is traveling to the next guy I would like to make a comment on the long weekend of testing with this fantastic material. Since there are many and some very professional Thummin model reviews in which I agree with most of them I will make a comment of my personal opinions since each ear and the likes of each are very personal.
I will not stop at specific technical details or frequencies for this are the fantastic professional reviews and the manufacturer's website.

HOMUNCULUS

Honestly I didn't give it much importance. Not because it is not a great IEM, very balanced and for my taste easy to hear with a great quality in all its frequencies and for my ears more comfortable than the Thummin. It's just that Thummin impressed me so much that my mind wanted to try it over and over again.
Returning to the little one, I find it a great IEM that has everything, a jewel in quality and design, above all it has a great balance and very good tests and for its price it is placed in a range with great competition in which it must shine for its character and exclusivity.

THUMMIN

It's something different from everything I've tried before. My first impression of listening after changing them from my Fourte Noir was WOOW....
Simply stunning, explosive and above all super addictive. First of all I want to comment that I'm a little tired of neutral equipment. For this already I have 2 speaker equipment at home (one all valves and other solid state). Obviously I like to listen music as it has been recorded. I'm a big concert fan and I'm always looking for that tone of live music. But friends I use Iems for my continuous work trips and walks and when I wear them I look for something different, something that excites me, more explosive and emotional than my home teams. That's why I really enjoyed the Thummin
Highly addictive sound and for my spectacular taste with vocal musical and modern genres, alternative rock,pop. Electronics....etc. You never want to get rid of them and keep listening to music and more music. Totally addictive.
The Thummim is a W-shaped earphone, surely on the musical and engaging side. It features a robust sub-bass response followed by a full mid-bass. The mid appears well counterbalanced by the fuller bass alongside a centre midrange bump that introduces a strong vocal presence and size. The top-end is crisp and detail dense with pleasing instrument body. What brings it together is the spheroid soundstage which makes it a thoroughly immersive listen.
The result is an open, almost cavernous soundstage presentation that provides a convincing sense of immersion and atmosphere. Imaging is enjoyable too, not perfectly linear and balanced but with sharp directional cues and a very clean transient response. The W-shaped tuning retains high tri-frequency separation alongside strong technical ability throughout which permits defined and easily isolated notes. The Thummim is tuned in such a fashion that small details almost stand out so it is not technically the most accurate but certainly tuned for
Thummim obviously is not an earphone with mass appeal though its sound I feel will be easily likeable by many. It is a product for the discerning listener wanting a thoroughly engaging and enveloping sound with a design amazing.
They're wonderful, though not with all kinds of music. With classic are not my favorites but with modern genres like alternative rock,pop, electronics...... etc I didn't hear anything better even in headphones.
For my ears Thummin are little uncomfortable and too big but wonderful sound but and their magic sound forget all.
Curiously I like them more with platon cable than with the Iliad which is a little too much. I think they are optimized fo platon cable.
At first I found it difficult to find the best tips for my hearing. After trying spinfit, final audio, simio... Etc. I also provided my Custom silicone tips got from Custon Art for my Fourte Noir. I must admit, I have a slightly delicate auditory ward hence my comfort issues. In the end I enjoyed a Spiraldots T- M . So I took a walk and I was not uncomfortable.
I enjoyed so much with this taste
I must say that I am very grateful to mmvRAZ for the opportunity to participate in this tour.

Thanks so much all

Would the Homunculus be a good offering if i dont have the budget for Thummim right now? Or are there better selections from other makers?

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #320 of 943
Would the Homunculus be a good offering if i dont have the budget for Thummim right now? Or are there better selections from other makers?
They’re very very different. MMR have a new release that they’ve been teasing though, that might be a better option maybe

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #321 of 943
They are very different tunings. What kind of sound are you after?

I prefer a slightly warm sound with good lows without sacrificing the highs extensions and details - i know how it sounds lol, sounded like i want everything.

They’re very very different. MMR have a new release that they’ve been teasing though, that might be a better option maybe

Interesting! I've not heard anything about it. Any idea when or how it sounds like?

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #322 of 943
I prefer a slightly warm sound with good lows without sacrificing the highs extensions and details - i know how it sounds lol, sounded like i want everything.

Interesting! I've not heard anything about it. Any idea when or how it sounds like?

I think something along the lines of Solaris/Nio/U12T might be suitable for you. Are you new-ish to IEMs?

I’m just asking cause if you don’t have bottomless pockets, IMO it’s be better to get a something in a cheaper price bracket then take your time to do the research and demo before you decide on that big big purchase. You’re in Singapore right? You’re in one of the best countries to demo stuff lol.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #323 of 943

Should be rather soon, but no official release date planned yet

As @8481 said though, a U12t is probably the best, safest option you can get on a budget. I haven’t tried the MEST, but I also loved the Andromeda 2020 (the upper midrange peak has been resolved there), so there’s a solid few options now

The new MMR will also be positioned in a competitive price bracket, and so is the new FiR 5X5 so there’s definitely plenty of options if you get the chance to demo them!

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #325 of 943
@BTBlaws There’s also the Sony IER-M9, it’s slightly warm, has great lows for a BA, and good treble extension. They can be picked up well under $1k USD on the used market too. :)

Shameless plug - I've got a Sony M9 for sale if interested parties want it :) it's great for the price, I'm just rolling with TOTLs and my Sultans still sing my favorite tune

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #326 of 943
Here is my take on the Thummim with some comparisons to Erl, Odin, and Sultan. Thank you @Barra for arranging all these tours.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/metal-magic-research-thummim.24369/reviews#item-review-24538

IMG_2057.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #327 of 943
Here is my take on the Thummim with some comparisons to Erl, Odin, and Sultan. Thank you @Barra for arranging all these tours.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/metal-magic-research-thummim.24369/reviews#item-review-24538

IMG_2057.jpg

Looking gorgeous there! A pity im not shooting so high at the moment. I've scheduled a session with my local retailer this upcoming weekend to try out the IEMs you guys suggested. Currently shortlisting the 64 audio and Campfires and trying to steer clear of the Thummim audition else i may get tempted too much xD

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #328 of 943
this afternoon two meteorites hit my apartment and landed on my bed:

thum.jpg

conveniently, they were connected with a slick cable and eartips in my size were already attached. so i put them in my ears and started listening.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #329 of 943
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #330 of 943
Hahah. You absolute tease, @toaster
I think the thum is probably one of the best iems i've heard, period.

however, i'm not sure that its presentation is quite what i'm looking for. this comes down more to personal preference than its lack of technical proficiency; it's technical chops are clearly top-tier.

i have yet to hear an estat that to my ears presents higher frequencies with as much authority as i'd like. i'm also quite sensitive to multi-driver designs, and its hard for me not to hear the difference in sound presentation between different driver types and be distracted by it.

all that said, it's clearly a damn good iem with a radical design. and the eletech plato cable is also super badass and very high quality.

it's too soon to tell whether the erlky will finally get a long-term friend...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back