METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #331 of 943
short story:

the stock tips with the thum are not great. i just pulled the spinfits off my erlky and put them on the thum and my feelings about the thum are changing rapidly...

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #332 of 943
short story:

the stock tips with the thum are not great. i just pulled the spinfits off my erlky and put them on the thum and my feelings about the thum are changing rapidly...
Well it is certainly a different sound than the Erlkonig. Much warmer overall in my opinion. I liked it, just not as much as the ERLK. It does have a softer upper midrange (female vocals) that can be a compliment at times.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #333 of 943
Well it is certainly a different sound than the Erlkonig. Much warmer overall in my opinion. I liked it, just not as much as the ERLK. It does have a softer upper midrange (female vocals) that can be a compliment at times.
i'm not sure i hear the thum as much warmer overall, especially vs erlky on 1. if you usually listen on other settings, especially 3 or 4, then i could understand more.

erlky on 1 is ultra lush and gooey, but incredibly detailed and coherent. the thum is growing on me quickly though with adequate tips.

what setting do you normally listen on, F?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #334 of 943
i'm not sure i hear the thum as much warmer overall, especially vs erlky on 1. if you usually listen on other settings, especially 3 or 4, then i could understand more.

erlky on 1 is ultra lush and gooey, but incredibly detailed and coherent. the thum is growing on me quickly though with adequate tips.

what setting do you normally listen on, F?
I use setting 2 on the Erlk. It is the closest to matching my 2 Channel system. The Thummim will provide more bass, but warmer and less accurate. I am not saying bad. Do me a favor. Listen to the Thummim alone for a day and at the end of the day listen again to a favorite tune (a good detailed jazz tune for example) and then immediately listen to the same tune with the Erlk. I am curious what your thoughts would be. Enjoy.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #335 of 943
Erlky is the most accurate iem i've ever heard. i haven't heard anything else that even comes close to the level of detail, realistic timbre, tonality, and presence of vocals. It 100% sounds like a 2-channel setup. completely agree, F.

The reason i bought the thum is because i'm looking for the opposite of that: wild, crazy, a bit outta control...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #336 of 943
A shoutout to @Barra for the pair up recommendation - I’ve owned the Burson conductor 3 reference for a while now, but never really tried it with the Thummim as I’ve only been using it with my open backs

the soundstage expansion is crazy, surpassing anything I’ve heard out of an IEM (to be fair,it already was out of the LPGT, but the C3R still trumps it pretty hard). The bass has excellent weight and speed - it hits very hard, but manages to maintain perfect separation from the rest of the spectrum. The conductor also delivers a really good sense of clarity, taking away some of the thickness and texture and providing a better balance overall - all in all, an extremely similar experience to what I had with the Chord TT2, at less than half the price. It pushes the W shaped signature further, providing more of well, everything but at the same time boosting the separation and technical prowess to ensure the signature isn’t muddied up in the process

I’m not sure if it’s the extra power that’s really making the Thummim sound so good, or if it’s the desktop-grade DAC, but I’ll certainly be spending a lot more time in this config over the next few days and will be including it in my full Burson review :)

6AB80AC1-FEDD-48FA-8070-DF100DC44AC1.jpeg

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #337 of 943
A shoutout to @Barra for the pair up recommendation - I’ve owned the Burson conductor 3 reference for a while now, but never really tried it with the Thummim as I’ve only been using it with my open backs

the soundstage expansion is crazy, surpassing anything I’ve heard out of an IEM (to be fair,it already was out of the LPGT, but the C3R still trumps it pretty hard). The bass has excellent weight and speed - it hits very hard, but manages to maintain perfect separation from the rest of the spectrum. The conductor also delivers a really good sense of clarity, taking away some of the thickness and texture and providing a better balance overall - all in all, an extremely similar experience to what I had with the Chord TT2, at less than half the price. It pushes the W shaped signature further, providing more of well, everything but at the same time boosting the separation and technical prowess to ensure the signature isn’t muddied up in the process

I’m not sure if it’s the extra power that’s really making the Thummim sound so good, or if it’s the desktop-grade DAC, but I’ll certainly be spending a lot more time in this config over the next few days and will be including it in my full Burson review :)

So do you like the Burson the best? And of which dac/Amps have you compared it? I ask as I am “lightly” looking myself at the moment. Tks.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #338 of 943
So do you like the abuts on the best? And of which dac/Amps have you compared it? I ask as I am “lightly” looking myself at the moment. Tks.
You mean the Abyss?

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #339 of 943
What tips are you guys liking the best with the Thummim?

I bought another pair after stupidly selling my Thummim to try out some other things (Obravo Ra-C-Cu and UM MEST);

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #340 of 943
i liked the spinfit cp100 tips on the thum.

i've said it before...the stock tips with the thum are trash; they're just not flexible enough.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #342 of 943
What tips are you guys liking the best with the Thummim?

I bought another pair after stupidly selling my Thummim to try out some other things (Obravo Ra-C-Cu and UM MEST);
Stock for me :)

My apologies. I cannot type for beans.
I meant do you like the Burson the best and what have you compared it to? I am also thinking about a new dac/amp. Tks.
It depends a lot on what you plan on driving with it - the Burson to me sounds like a slightly warmer Hugo TT2 (which is huge praise to the Burson considering how much more powerful it is). Are you looking for a DAC/amp for the Erl?

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #343 of 943
Stock for me :)

It depends a lot on what you plan on driving with it - the Burson to me sounds like a slightly warmer Hugo TT2 (which is huge praise to the Burson considering how much more powerful it is). Are you looking for a DAC/amp for the Erl?
No. I am set for my IEM’s between my Hugo 2 and Cayin N8,etc. I was thinking for headphones (if I go there. I currently have the Emoyrean, but that is easy to drive). If I ever went Hifiman Susvara or Abyss my Hugo 2 should drive them, but I was wondering if I could improve both the amplification and the Dac. I would love the DCS Bartok, but that is some serious cash. If something was out there as good for way less cash, that would be awesome. Anyway, your thoughts would be welcome.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #344 of 943
No. I am set for my IEM’s between my Hugo 2 and Cayin N8,etc. I was thinking for headphones (if I go there. I currently have the Emoyrean, but that is easy to drive). If I ever went Hifiman Susvara or Abyss my Hugo 2 should drive them, but I was wondering if I could improve both the amplification and the Dac. I would love the DCS Bartok, but that is some serious cash. If something was out there as good for way less cash, that would be awesome. Anyway, your thoughts would be welcome.
The Hugo 2 doesn’t drive any Abyss and it absolutely does not drive the Susvara at 750mW. Chord’s stuff is notoriously underpowered, the Hugo 2 just doesn’t work for medium-to-hard to drive HPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back