METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #64 of 943
Am I late for the lucky draw? :p

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #67 of 943
Placed an order for the MMR Balmung!

impressions and review as soon as I receive it :)
You're the man. Looking forward to your impressions!

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #68 of 943
Man I didn't win either. Congrats to whoever won the Homunculus!

I went to Jomo/MMR HQ again to get my Jomo CIEMs refitted and Joseph let me try the Homunculus again. I tested it with the 4.4mm output from my ZX300 and here are the things that stood out to me:

Overall, they have a warm sound. In complicated rock songs, there is a slight bass rumble from the DD in the background. The bass is unintrusive and does not in any way muddy the rest of the mix. On this matter, instrument separation is superb when tested with one of my favourite albums consisting of songs with an orchestra and rock band (MY FIRST STORY - THE PREMIUM SYMPHONY). There is a copious amount of headroom and the Homunculus somehow made instruments sound big and the orchestra very grand (very subjective based on the IEMs and songs I've been listening to). At the forefront the vocals stand out the most. Tinged with a slight warmth, they offer with plenty of detail and excellent transparency. Despite the middle to upper midrange boost, the upper midrange never pierces even when I tried listening at a higher than normal volume for a short time. I am unsure of whether or not this is due to the nature of ESTs or that I didn't listen for long enough, inducing fatigue. Either way, I loved that it nailed the grey area between vocal aggressiveness and a laid-back presentation for me. This is purely based on preference, because my friend who was with me at the time didn't appreciate it as much, perceiving it as a lack of aggression and bite. Instead, she preferred the Balmung.

I didn't listen to these as much, but for those who are curious, here's what I think of:

Balmung: Impressive bass from the BA woofers with plenty of bass impact. The bass here reminds me of that of the VE4.2 but a little less boomy (purely from memory and might not be accurate). I am a big fan of the elevated upper and lower mids here as it makes the midrange a little more well rounded. This is something I appreciate very much in the vast sea of IEMs (especially chi-fi) with just an upper midrange boost for the sake of clarity. The Balmung is extremely detailed across the board and absolutely refuses to congest. It made the few tracks I played with sound massive in my head as well! More so than the Andromeda and Solaris from memory alone. With that, all I can say is MMR's website which states that the "Balmung is akin to observing a performance in the prime seat" is befitting of this IEM indeed.

Gae Bolg: Aggressive and in-your-face. Joseph's take on the boosted bass + upper midrange impressed me as well. The BA woofer punches hard when the song calls for it. Vocals and electric guitars are forward and sound super energetic. Perhaps I didn't listen for long enough but it didn't seem like it would sound harsh or too piercing in any way for the next hour or so. It would be interesting to compare this side-by-side to the more inexpensive Jomo Salsa as they seem to go for a similar presentation. Finally, a big plus was that the Gae Bolg sounded great on both my Samsung S9 (spotify) and ZX300.

Here are my brief subjective impressions! I would love to spend more time with Balmung and Gae Bolg as potential options for future CIEMs as I really love custom fits.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #69 of 943
You're the man. Looking forward to your impressions!
I’ve actually put the buy on hold as I want to sort of assess the gear and see which direction I want to go in :)

Certainly in the cards for a near future purchase though

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #70 of 943
I’ve actually put the buy on hold as I want to sort of assess the gear and see which direction I want to go in :)

Certainly in the cards for a near future purchase though
Good strategy to prevent impulsive purchase! Sort your direction before whacking!

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #73 of 943
Hi,

just posted my review of the Homunculus (first one, be gentle please :wink:) here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/metal-magic-research-mmr-homunculus.24153/reviews. I don't know how long Deezel listened to them but I'm perfectly in line with his feedback at the beginning of his post: spectacular stage width and perfect performance on high med/treble. A stunning experience on some vocal tracks (Unchained my heart vocal version on Ray Charles' Genius loves company is a must with these iems)
For the fit and the seal, well it was definitely not a success on my side but let me know if you had different experiences !

Thanks @MrLocoLuciano for making this tour possible in France :wink: and thank you MMR for giving us this opportunity !

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back